Cheers,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 40 Old 04-06-2013, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
So, seeing that putting up a backing for the projector totally skipped my mind, what's the best thing to do now?

The drywaller has come and gone, the mudder has been doing his thing for the past two days.

Do I

a) cut a 19"x19" square in the ceiling, put in some 2x4 studs between the joists, then patch it up again?
b) cut a hole under 1 of the joists, put in a piece of MDF or plywood under that one stud

Thoughts?

Kinda of frustrating, since I don't want to waste more of his time..

Here's what I'm referring to - front of the room is towards the bottom right

Another, with the structure behind it. Green indicates the joists, purple are the resilient channel:
post #33 of 40 Old 04-06-2013, 06:57 PM

Liked: 10
I think option one is the your best choice. It sucks but thats what I would do. You will have the materials probably anyways to do the patching

My home theatre build and basement development

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #34 of 40 Old 04-06-2013, 07:45 PM
Just add water and stir

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Cut out a piece. Insert a plywood piece of equal size, after the mud and tape, and after the paint attach a second piece of plywood of equal size. This time stain the second piece to a tone of visual appeal. Use trim to wrap around the raised second piece.

This can make an effective cover up for reinforcing mistakes.

|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 |
|
 |
post #35 of 40 Old 04-08-2013, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter

Alrighty, followed Zulu's advice.

Cut it open:

Removed the channels:

And made a plywood plug:

All in anticipation of the mudder coming back today, which of course he didn't. frown.gif
post #36 of 40 Old 04-10-2013, 01:46 PM
Just add water and stir

What did you decide on the equipment rack slash trophy room?

I will post a photo of mine on my build thread.

|
 |
|
 |
post #37 of 40 Old 04-10-2013, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter

I'm going to go with a rack; sort of like what you described.
post #38 of 40 Old 04-10-2013, 01:57 PM
Just add water and stir

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06S2k View Post

I'm going to go with a rack; sort of like what you described.

That's cool. The space was made for it! A gift from the theatre gods.

|
 |
|
 |
post #39 of 40 Old 08-09-2013, 12:41 AM - Thread Starter

Phew.. long time no update.

Been working hard on the rest of the basement, not much say about the theatre room.

Threw in a few "Tapcons" to hold the subfloor down (1" XPS and 5/8" T&G Plywood) because in some areas where I used PL400 glue they had lifted, either because I didn't put enough heavy stuff on top, or because I didn't put enough heavy stuff on top.

I quoted "Tapcons" because I used identical concrete screws by Paulin sold at Homme Despot Canadaland, sized 3/16 x 2 3/4". They specify to use 5/32 bits, but I found I was stripping them far too often. What I did instead was use 3/16 bits on a rotary Bosch hammer drill (again rented from HD Canadaland). Tried initially using my cordless hammer drill (the green Hitachi in the picture) and a borrowed Bosch corded hammer drill. Both were a waste of time.. the rental cut through concrete like a hot knife through butter.

Anyways.. first I used a 1" spade bit to create an indentation at a depth of about 1/3" so the tapcon head wouldn't poke through. Then drilled a hole about 3.5" deep and vacuumed the dust out. stuck in a length of 16ga wire cut slightly shorter than the screw, then followed that with the screw with a 3/16 washer to give more holding area for the screw. Used a drill to thread it in, then tightened it by hand so as not to strip it even more. Darn things are super fragile.

Here's a closeup:

And the rest of the room:

Carpet's going in tomorrow.. so excited!
post #40 of 40 Old 08-20-2013, 06:45 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Any shots of the carpet install??? How did it go?

A/V Gear: EPSON 5030UB | 100" Fixed Mount | Samsung UN46F5500 LED TV | Yamaha RX-A1010 | Emotiva XPA-3 | OPPO BDP-103 | Panamax M5300 | Pro-ject Carbon Debut | Polk 265-RT (L/R) | Polk 255C-RT (C) | Polk 65RT (L/R SUR) | Polk RC80i (L/R REAR SUR) | PSA XV-15 | Sonos

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page