Need recommendations for new projector - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 03-06-2013, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am replacing a Sharpvision XVZ2000 projector because my husband would like a more updated one. I called Projector People to ask a few questions about the Epson 3020. The rep told me that the Epson was an entry level projector that was lower in quality than my older Sharp one. I told her I didn't want to break the bank and didn't want to spend $2500 for the Epson 5020. She recommended the Panasonic AE 7000. Has anyone had experience with this projector? Also she had me measure the distance of the old projector lens to the screen and the size of the screen to calculate throw distance. I don't know if this was all a sales pitch to get me to spend more. Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-06-2013, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by azs872 View Post

I am replacing a Sharpvision XVZ2000 projector because my husband would like a more updated one. I called Projector People to ask a few questions about the Epson 3020. The rep told me that the Epson was an entry level projector that was lower in quality than my older Sharp one. I told her I didn't want to break the bank and didn't want to spend $2500 for the Epson 5020. She recommended the Panasonic AE 7000. Has anyone had experience with this projector? Also she had me measure the distance of the old projector lens to the screen and the size of the screen to calculate throw distance. I don't know if this was all a sales pitch to get me to spend more. Any help would be appreciated.

Take a look here at the current Sharp projector, this is a 6 day sale or till gone but I think all sales are final so any issues would need to go back to sharp. This is over 1/2 off the list price and well within you budget, a great deal and i have been wishing I could justify buying it all day.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1461933/sharp-xv-z30000-for-1830-before-tax-6-days-left/0_100
post #3 of 6 Old 03-06-2013, 06:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 33
What super wife, buying a new projector.?.........hope this is contagious............
nothing personal, but your XVZ2000 wasn't any where near the top of Sharp's offerings in 2005. It was the lowest priced model featuring Texas Instruments latest HD2 DLP imaging. 1200 ANSI lumens, 2500:1 contrast, 1280x720 native resolution, capable of displaying 1080i. A good value, but nothing ground shaking.
The Epson 3020 : 2300 lumen, 40,000:1 contrast, 1920x1080 native resolution, 3 LCD imaging, 1080p, 3D, 2D to 3D conversion.
Panasonic AE7000: 2000 lumen, 300,000: contrast , 1920x1080 native resolution, 3 LCD imaging, 1080p, 3D, 2D to 3D conversion
Either of these is a big upgrade from what you have.
I leave it to you to research the other important issues:
does the lens zoom range fit my screen and mounting distance?
do I need lens shift? ( does the new projector have the same lens orientation: centered or off set?)
who does 3D better? (if you care)
who has longer bulb life in the real world? (personal experience with Panasonic commercial projectors with their UHM tech. lamps has been excellent, rarely fail before 4000 hours)
Which dealer will offer better service/ warranty coverage?

underachiever extraordinaire
post #4 of 6 Old 03-11-2013, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Is this going to be a surprise purchase? If so, there is an important factor that needs to be considered. There is a definite difference between LCD and DLP projectors. Many people have have a strong preference for one or the other technology. If your husband's previous purchase was a DLP, he might have a real preference for DLP and could be disappointed with a new LCD projector.

David
post #5 of 6 Old 03-11-2013, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
What is the difference between the DLP and the LCD? I spoke to a rep at projector people and she was steering me towards the Panasonic AE7000. Not sure if that was to get me to spend $500 more because I was interested in the Epson 3020. Weaselfest said they are both upgrades from the Sharp I have. No, this is not a surprise purchase. Just want to get it done.
post #6 of 6 Old 03-11-2013, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
The short answer is that the two different technologies each have their own advantages and limitations. Many people have certain limitations that they can live with, and certain limitations that really bug them. You want to choose the technology that has the limitations you can live with and not the one that has the limitations that bug you. For example, if you see rainbows in DLP buy an LCD. If you are bothered by convergence issues in LCD, get a DLP. There are other issues with each. In the end you have to balance what's important to you personally.

This article has more detail on comparing the two:

http://www.projectorcentral.com/lcd_dlp_comparison.htm

It is from a few years ago, but is still relevant. (It's not clearly marked that the article is 5 pages long. Look for the blue next page button at the bottom of each section.)

David
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page