AVS Forum banner

LFE / Analog inputs

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Angler55 
#1 ·
I have Martin Logan MLT-2 5.1 system, with a Harmon Kardon AVR-1650 reciever. I am confused on whether a single LFE signal will be sufficient for listening to "normal" 2 channel music and not just movies on dvd and bluray. I thought that most subwoofer's had both an LFE input and (2) analog inputs. This sub's lfe connection IS the (R) input for the analog.

I would prefer to use just the lfe connection, but am not sure if the subwoofer will work when listening to a CD for example. Of course, I would just simply test the LFE only connection out by playing a CD, but I currently only have a the two RCA cables with a y-cord. I don't want to send these cables back and get the LFE cable if it is only going to work with movies.

Any help or theory would be awesome.

#2 ·
The L/R analog inputs are for setups without an LFE channel. You should be fine - hooking up both probably doesn't do anything... The AVR will handle bass routing as long as you have the speaker setup done correctly.

And there's no need to use different cables - the LFE cable is just a single RCA. Use the cable you have now and just leave the other half unconnected... And then you can test it to make sure it's doing what we expect.

Jeffr

#3 ·
Don't expect your subwoofer to work while playing CD's.

Maybe your HK receiver is different than my Pioneer but when I put a CD in my Panasonic DMP-BDT500 blu ray player my subwoofer, connected to the LFE of my receiver, doesn't work. It works perfectly for 5.1 surround with Blu Ray's and DVD's.

I have my blu ray player connected to my receiver with 5.1 Analog Audio. I also have my sub connected to my receiver with a Y cable but it doesn't make any difference with a single cable because I have tried both. I do get about five more decibels of output from my sub by using the Y cable though.

Al

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.