White or Gray DIY Screen? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 03-11-2013, 10:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey Y'all,

I hope to not open up a big can of worms over this question, and I apologize if I am asking something that has been answered a million times. I have read thru all the older posts on the topic but can't find a recent answer that fits my situation. So here goes...

I am about to paint a screen for my projector. I have a ceiling mounted Panasonic PT-AE4000 projecting a 110" diaganal image on a wall about 14' away. The walls in the room are a medium blue color with a brown/white mixed carpet. Viewing angles are mainly straight on, not much more than about 15-20 degrees offset at most. Light control is decent. Three walls have zero light and one wall has two large windows. During the daytime I can minimize the light from the windows to a moderate level. Use of the room is about 30% TV, 30% movies (blu-ray) and 40% gaming (PS3). Probably 60% of the viewing is done at night when light is not a real problem. But the daytime (and some evening viewing in the summer) means some light is an issue.

I previously had this projector mounted in a dedicated theater with 100% light control. In that room I painted a gray screen with a formula I got from an AVS forum. But recently I have been doing some reading about white versus gray screens and am considering painting a white screen. This has been mainly influenced by the ProjectorCentral article (http://www.projectorcentral.com/paint_perfect_screen_$100.htm?page=DIY-Screens). I have read most of the comments on here about this article, so I know that perhaps the author is biased towards white.

I was pretty satisfied with the gray screen used in my old room, but am wondering if a white screen will help me fight my light problem in the new room. Also, will I get truer colors from white? I realize the trade-off of black levels, especially since I am using an LCD projector.

So I am strongly considering using the Sherwin Williams white paint from the article, but would appreciate any input about advantages/disadvantages of white versus gray.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-12-2013, 12:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
With an ambient light problem, you definitely want a gray screen. A white screen is ideal if your room is a dark color scheme AND you have no ambient light.
post #3 of 4 Old 03-12-2013, 01:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks Jim for the post. I have spent the last 3 hours doing some more reading. I think I am back to painting a gray screen since I do have some ambient light issues during the daytime.

Anyone have a good paint formula I can take to the hardware store (Lowe's or Home Depot) to mix up a good N8 gray paint?

Thanks.

post #4 of 4 Old 03-12-2013, 06:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 178
I suggest you read this DIY Screen forum, there are stickys there, and expertiese 2nd to none by members willing to help.
http://www.avsforum.com/f/110/diy-screen-section
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page