Running Cable and Encountered a Metal Firestop - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 03-11-2013, 11:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone, I've only lurked sporadically for the last few years, but I'm hoping you can help me solve this problem.

I'm attempting to install a new cable jack on the shared wall of my townhouse. I've found the drywall to be particularly thick and a pain to cut compared to the other holes I've had to cut on other walls in the same room. My RG6 cabling was progressing slowly, but surely, when I came up against what appears to be a metal firestop roughly 20" from the finished floor. This cable is being pulled down from the ceiling and I'd like to get past the firestop to mount the new cable jack in the 12" - 16" height range, which would put it neatly behind my cabinets.

My stud finder had me prepared to encounter a wooden firestop and that led me to research the proper technique for drilling the smallest possible hole and properly refilling it to maintain the integrity of the firestop. The metal has now thrown me for a loop. Google seems to be surprisingly quiet on the topic of metal firestops, which leads me to worry that it might be more than just a firestop and that I shouldn't mess with it. Has anyone else tangled with a metal, horizontal beam between studs? How would you go about cabling through or around it?

Thanks for any help you can provide!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 03-11-2013, 11:16 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 29
How about one of those cameras on the end of a probe to see what you are dealing with first? I am sure you can rent those.
post #3 of 3 Old 03-12-2013, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 77
I'd cut the single gang hole at outlet height, and look up from below too.

You may be able to cut a 2" long and half inch wide channel in the drywall, to pass the cable in front of the metal fire stop/obstruction. Then, mud over the visible cable.

Similar obstructions in other stud bays at that level? Wood studs or metal? Does the metal obstruction run only between studs? Slight different levels in each stud bay may suggest that they are fire stops.

Phone camera may provide a good look inside the wall.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page