Cooling - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 03-12-2013, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, I've been reading a lot on enclosed cabinet cooling, but I'm still not quite sure how I should proceed in my particular situation. I'm looking at cooling each of the cabinet sections seen in the images below.

Each section is 22" W x 13" H.

1. Should I do an intake and an exhaust fan, or just an exhaust fan? One picture shows the cabinet door; it's not air-tight, but I'm not sure if it will let enough air in...

2. If I do an intake and an exhaust fan, what is the best placement for the fans? Intake in back/bottom/middle, exhaust in back/top/middle? Also, read something about putting them 1/3 from the sides on opposite ends from each other. (Intake back/bottom/left) (Exhaust back/top/right)

3. My receiver doesn't have the switched outlet on the back so I'll need to use my own power source. This leads to my next question...Is it really worth doing temp control? Or should I just have a switch that turns them on and off? Any other ideas?

4. I still need to cut a hole in the back for the wires. Will that affect the air flow or how I place the fans? Where would be the best spot to cut the hole for the wires? Middle, middle/bottom, etc.?

LEAD Technologies Inc. V1.01

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 03-17-2013, 03:02 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Coolerguys sells USB-powered fans and a matching programmable thermostat. It might at least solve the problem of getting power to the fans. Almost all boxes have USB ports that stay on even when the device is in standby (my receiver, cable box and Xbox 360 all do).

http://www.coolerguys.com/usbfans.html

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page