post #1 of 13 Old 03-13-2013, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

Im new. I read this article:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1449602/polk-audio-rtia9s-vs-lsim707

Im still not sure what direction to go in. I also have a weird living situation. Technically I dont have a place of my own yet. Im with a company. I travel a lot. In about a year they are moving me to Boston for permanent. Until then Im crashing at a friends house.

The purpose of this is to basically get a shopping list so when I get to Boston I can have a decent home theater system.

I listen to music and watch movies. Music, anything but rap really. Classical, opera (love Wagner and Puccini), techno (aggrotech, dub step), industrial and metal. Movies, pfft. I'll watch almost anything at least once.

I have a 46" LED tv, marantz sr6007 receiver. I'm getting an emotiva XPA-5. Im looking for a set of speakers. I prefer floor standing. I can afford a pair of either RTiA9's or LSiM707. I just dont know if the extra ~$2400 or so for the LSiM707 is actually worth it.

Can you also suggest an accompanying sub, center and rear channel?

Budget wise. Shrug. Lets say aside from the towers Im willing to spend an additional $2000 on a sub, center and rear channels. Thats flexible but I guess, start there.

Thanks in advance,

Kristine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 03-16-2013, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter

bump
post #3 of 13 Old 03-17-2013, 08:29 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I'd re-evaluate my budgeting............good subswoofers are expensive.......if you have over $4k to spend on 5 speakers and at least 1 sub , $2k of it shouldn't be on just the front left and right. General rule of thumb is to have at least twice as much power to your subs as your mains......I suggest budgeting should be similar......and look elsewhere than Polk for a subwoofer unless you want a toy that you will throw away in two years.

underachiever extraordinaire
post #4 of 13 Old 03-17-2013, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter

Im not terribly loyal to any brand. I went with Polk on the mains through a recommendation from a friend. Everything is pretty much negotiable. Do you have suggestions?
post #5 of 13 Old 03-17-2013, 08:40 AM

Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by weaselfest View Post

I'd re-evaluate my budgeting............good subswoofers are expensive.......if you have over $4k to spend on 5 speakers and at least 1 sub , $2k of it shouldn't be on just the front left and right. General rule of thumb is to have at least twice as much power to your subs as your mains......I suggest budgeting should be similar......and look elsewhere than Polk for a subwoofer unless you want a toy that you will throw away in two years.

I take offense at you calling Polk subs or any other of their equipment toys. A high price tag doesn't make the product better. If it did Bose would be the world leader in audio equipment. I suggest you don't know good speakers when you hear them. Take a look at the reviews. Most experts would disagree with you. Matthew Polk and buddies made a name for themselves by providing quality equipment at affordable prices. A good pair of their 1970s original Monitor 7s can still command $300 on the used market today.
post #6 of 13 Old 03-17-2013, 09:25 AM

Don't want to get into a flaming war, but Polk 1984-1998 does not equal Polk 2013.
Before you jump all over my hearing, may I present that I OWN a pair of LS90's a CS400i center channel and a pair of M5 rears, a new pair of M45b's as well as sold and installed them for 4 years.
Boston Acoustics isn't the same company it was in the nineties....neither is Definitive Technology, Pioneer, Onkyo, or Sony.......everything changes....some to the good...some to the bad.
Polk has some fine sounding speakers, but I respectfully offer that there are better values out there for dedicated low frequency reproduction.
Buy whatcha want.

post #7 of 13 Old 03-17-2013, 09:36 AM

Quote:

Don't want to get into a flaming war, but Polk 1984-1998 does not equal Polk 2013

It is true the company was sold a few years ago but I can testify I am very pleased with my Polk speakers and subwoofer. I will match them up against anything in their price range. High end brand names don't really do anything for me. I am not Minnie Pearl.
post #8 of 13 Old 03-17-2013, 09:57 AM

what "high end " brands are you talking about,? My comment was simply stating that you don't want to put all your money into your front two speakers and consider your center, rear and sub accessories. They are equal partners in the process. Sorry you took offense to the "toy" remark, but after seeing what Polk made ten years ago compared to what they are selling now, it is a bit of disappointment.

post #9 of 13 Old 03-17-2013, 10:05 AM

Quote:

what "high end " brands are you talking about,? My comment was simply stating that you don't want to put all your money into your front two speakers and consider your center, rear and sub accessories. They are equal partners in the process. Sorry you took offense to the "toy" remark, but after seeing what Polk made ten years ago compared to what they are selling now, it is a bit of disappointment.

Opinions vary on your 10 year comment. That is why they make chocolate, vanilla and Chevys, Fords. My last post to this thread.
post #10 of 13 Old 05-15-2013, 12:53 PM

I agree Polk subs are like toy subs biggrin.gif Go for internet direct subwoofers. I love my floorstanding polks though..
post #11 of 13 Old 05-16-2013, 12:18 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Love my Polk Dsw 600Pro. Wouldn't call it a toy by any stretch of the imagination. Maybe you guys are thinking of the micro series? Polk has so many lines of product to offer, and everyone's mileage will vary

Warning: I make a lot of mistakes but occasionally I learn from them!
post #12 of 13 Old 05-23-2013, 05:28 AM

I own a pair of rtia9's and they are far from toys. At 75lbs each and (real wood) verneer this are one of the best speakers you can get at that price range. They can also take 500w. Neocupcakes, I say go for rti's but be ready to buy a real amp, as they are power hungry and require some juice to make them sound good. I would get an amp that has 200watts or more. Oh, and no need to buy an expensive sub as this speakers can put out some punch.
post #13 of 13 Old 05-23-2013, 11:15 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Both rti a9 and the lsim707 are excellent speakers. You should listen to them both to decide. They sound quite different to me and I think lsim's are more musical and clear, but still excellent for movies, and the rti a9's are designed more for movies than music. You can probably find Lsim's for much less than 2400 more than rti a9's if you find a sale.

In the end rti a9 are probably a better choice value-wise.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page