First Build - Need the Experts (You!) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 03-14-2013, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks to the members who have already convinced me to go the projector route instead of a big screen plasma/LED. Your advice helped me win the wife over.

So, I now have started doing some layout plans, and need some input. One thing to note is that this room is completly finished already (walls, drywall, etc...). I ripped out the carpet yesterday because it was nasty, and am having new carpet installed in 2 weeks (Gives me minimal time to make lighting layout and painting decisions).

I already know all of my wiring is going to be a PiTA because of the level of completion. However, my uncle is an electrician and helps me do all the wiring probono. First are some photos of my vision:

My wife wants a U shaped leather sectional, and I want a high top bar seating behind it for extra seats (we regularly have 10-12 people over for food and games, etc.)

I feel like I left plenty of room to get around all furniture (tried pulling the chairs out from the bar top in the "someone seated in them position")

The wet bar must remain in that position. I ran plumbing there already when I finished the bedroom and bathroom on the other half of the basement.

A few questions:

1) Does anyone see any huge glaring design faults I might have overlooked?

2) Where do I place the "Rack"/Equipment? I am thinking in the lower left corner (Looking at first photo) of making a built-in looking storage/hutch to house the equipment behind closed doors and shelves for books and things above...Also, there is already a cable outlet for a comcast box and plugs for everything there. But will that look awkward there?

Note: This is a townhome, so I cant really build out in any direction (i.e., built in custom rack).

3) I am thinking in-wall/ceiling speakers. I am not an audiophile and dont need something amazing. We just like hearing sound from all directions when watching movies. My concern is on the other side of the screen wall is my neighbor. I am assuming there is insulation, (and concrete) separating the two units. Will in-walls make them hate me? My neighbor is a cop and HOA president in my community...I dont want him hating me...Haha.

4) Lighting suggestions. My thoughts are one set of recessed lights on the perimter of the room on a simple on off switch (for all-on scenarios when we arent watching). Then, 3 or 4 recessed dimmable and rotatable recessed ligths directly over the couch (in the event someone wants to read while I watch my sports). And then 2 pendant lights over the wet bar on a simple switch.

Thoughts? Feel free to call me an idiot, because I am.

Leaning towards an Epson 5010 and a 110"ish screen if that helps. Throw distance can be wherever since I am already doing all the electrical work. I also have 8 foot ceilings.

Thank you all for being so smart...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 03-15-2013, 10:15 PM

Liked: 14
1) At first I didn't like the idea of a fixed high bar behind your sectional. But really that is the most efficient way to comfortably have 10+ people in that size of room. Wet bar is a plus anywhere you put it, nothing wrong with where you have it right now. Nothing constructive to add, looks like a good plan.

2) I'm a fan of having all of the equipment out of sight either in a storage room/closet. If I read lower left correctly you're losing floor space to have your components behind you? Any room in those 2 closets?

3) I think you'll be very happy with some decent in wall/in ceiling speakers. I bought some "Vector Research" in ceiling speakers from Visions (Canadian electronics store) on sale for $50/pair. Threw them in the garage and they sound great without a sub. 8" drivers mind you but they still sound pretty good. I don't think you'll disturb your neighbors providing you are separated by a concrete wall, hopefully you're not going in wall sub though, not only is stand alone a better sounding option I would imagine if you put a sub in your wall you might pi$$ of the neighbors As for the in ceilings, I'm stuffing some pink insulation around them once I get the drywall up, I don't want them being too loud through the floor. I also believe most in ceilings recommend surrounding with thermal insulation. Monoprice has very good reviews on this site; I bought a pair of DVC in ceilings (one for each bathroom) and I can say that they appear to be decent quality.

4) Sounds like a good plan. What size pots? What about the "hall" area, is that part of the perimeter lighting? I have 9' ceilings and used 6" cans, and found that 1 can per ~30ft2 gave plenty of light. 30" from walls for minimal "effect", move closer to walls (12" on center) for a nice wall flood effect. 50"-70" in between cans and no dark spots in the room.

5)No comment, I'm a TV guy:)

You're not an idiot, looks like you got your stuff together. Keep us updated.

Cheers
post #3 of 3 Old 03-19-2013, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveAMullet View Post

1) At first I didn't like the idea of a fixed high bar behind your sectional. But really that is the most efficient way to comfortably have 10+ people in that size of room. Wet bar is a plus anywhere you put it, nothing wrong with where you have it right now. Nothing constructive to add, looks like a good plan.

2) I'm a fan of having all of the equipment out of sight either in a storage room/closet. If I read lower left correctly you're losing floor space to have your components behind you? Any room in those 2 closets?

3) I think you'll be very happy with some decent in wall/in ceiling speakers. I bought some "Vector Research" in ceiling speakers from Visions (Canadian electronics store) on sale for $50/pair. Threw them in the garage and they sound great without a sub. 8" drivers mind you but they still sound pretty good. I don't think you'll disturb your neighbors providing you are separated by a concrete wall, hopefully you're not going in wall sub though, not only is stand alone a better sounding option I would imagine if you put a sub in your wall you might pi$$ of the neighbors As for the in ceilings, I'm stuffing some pink insulation around them once I get the drywall up, I don't want them being too loud through the floor. I also believe most in ceilings recommend surrounding with thermal insulation. Monoprice has very good reviews on this site; I bought a pair of DVC in ceilings (one for each bathroom) and I can say that they appear to be decent quality.

4) Sounds like a good plan. What size pots? What about the "hall" area, is that part of the perimeter lighting? I have 9' ceilings and used 6" cans, and found that 1 can per ~30ft2 gave plenty of light. 30" from walls for minimal "effect", move closer to walls (12" on center) for a nice wall flood effect. 50"-70" in between cans and no dark spots in the room.

5)No comment, I'm a TV guy:)

You're not an idiot, looks like you got your stuff together. Keep us updated.

Cheers

Thanks for the feedback. I was able to talk the wife into giving me a few feet of the linen closet outside the bathroom so I can keep all equipment behind closed doors and don't waste the valuable floor space. I am pretty excited about that. When I brought it up initially she laughed at me and said forget about.

My uncle is coming over in a few days to help me figure out my lighting/wiring plan. Hope to have all my wholes drilled and drywall patched up this weekend for painting.

Found a color my wife is okay with, and carpet is getting installed next week....have a feeling ill be up many late nights over the next week or so...

Also, bought an epson 5010 package from visual apex. Super stoked about that. Things are moving along quickly!

Will update with photos soon...
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms