how to pull (HDMI) cable through existing conduit? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 03-14-2013, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hi,

I have a conduit built in my media room - an orange color plastic tube going over the ceiling of about 30 feet long. I'm not sure how to use it though to put HDMI cable in. On one end of it at the bottom of the front wall, there is a (loop?) string/ribbon coming out:

On the other end in the ceiling (for projector), there is one (no loop) ribbon coming out, taped to the side:

so my question is, which end do I put the cable in, how to tie it to the ribbon? Is there a way to do this, and leave the ribbon in so it could be used if/when later a second cable needs to be put in?

thanks,

Jason

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-14-2013, 11:53 AM

Liked: 12
As long as you aren't using a unidirectional cable like a redmere then it doesn't matter what end you pull from. Just use electrical tape or some other strong tape to attach the ribbon to the cable. If you want to have another ribbon available add that at the same time you are pulling the cable i.e. you will be taping the cable and an extra ribbon to the existing ribbon and then pulling both through..
post #3 of 8 Old 03-14-2013, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
...or any lightweight string that you then attach to the ribbon at the other end and pull the ribbon back through.

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends
Need motivation? Get LOGANED
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1014847

An as-yet un-named theater designed by Big-WarrenP-BritInVA
post #4 of 8 Old 03-14-2013, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 335
It's not a loop, it's a pull string that's been secured at both ends, either by duct tape (I think I see it in the 2nd image), or by pinching it in a cut along the side of the conduit.

Protect the HDMI connector by wrapping it in paper and taping around it, secure the pull string to the cable behind the connector. Attach a new pull string to be pulled along (so you have something to pull the next cable that needs to go in). Have someone feed the HDMI cable into the conduit at one end while another person slowly pulls the string at the other end.

You can get nylon pull string at Home Depot / Lowe's, or a spare run of cat5e can be used, too. Although if you're pulling anything, you should pull at least 1 or 2 Cat5e cables along with your HDMI, which should help cover you for the future. Pulling additional cables later will always be harder than pulling a bunch at once.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #5 of 8 Old 03-14-2013, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 87
You are going to want to observe the maximum pulling tension for the cable. Pulling harder can affect the geometry of the cable, or damage it, affecting its performance. Pulling an HDMI cable is not the same as pulling electrical conductors. It may be hard to find out what the maximum pulling tension for your cable is. For BJC Series 1, it is 60 pounds. For smaller wire, it is going to be less.
post #6 of 8 Old 03-14-2013, 01:51 PM

I didn't take any chances and used the pull strings to pull an electrical fish tape through the conduit, then used the fish tape to pull all my wires. I secured the more sensitive HDMI cables to the tape by wrapping the ends of the tape/cable with electrical tape so I had 12" of bearing on the cable. Probably overkill, but electrical tape is cheaper and faster than replacing a bum cable. Like others suggested, just add another pull string to the new cable being pulled so you have one later to use.
post #7 of 8 Old 03-14-2013, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Use gravity, pull down. Use 2 people, 1 at each end. Pull all cables together, if more than 1. Cable lube is available, check HD/Lowes.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #8 of 8 Old 03-15-2013, 07:29 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for all your responses. That loop in the first picture confused me. when I took the plate off and looked closely, it was indeed the end of the ribbon taped to the side of the conduit. With all the tips you guys gave, I know exactly what to do now.

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page