Fill In The Blanks - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 03-14-2013, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
With 500 DVDs and at least that many Blu-Rays, I need a competent box to store the movies so they can be accessed and served to displays throughout the house. I am looking to employ a controller (TBD), media server (TBD), and matrix switch (TBD) for streaming (undecided between HDBaseT or HDMI for streaming). I also require storage for streaming library of 300 CDs and multiple iTunes libraries, photos, and gigabytes of high def video footage (in need of editing) and standard def security camera footage. Less than 2 TB of docs are also in the mix. All this goes into a rack in the basement which is 1700 sq. ft., in a new house, to be built out into a home theater/rec/room/man cave.

The house has structured wiring (cat 6 and RG6) run from the unfinished basement supporting a Gigabyte net (Comcast). Of something old hardware, I am running a mix of laptops, a workstation, AIO, HP EX475 and 495, an iPad, and Surface Pro. Two out of the 5 WINTEL devices are running WIN8 with more to be migrated. I also have an older Yamaha RVX-3800 AV receiver and Bose 701s and 501s with sub and center speakers (son wants them). Four HD Sony displays in the house, no 3-D. The network hardware is Cisco/Linksys (SLM 2024, E4200, and SE 2008), and Motorola SB6120. Of something new (can’t technically defend choices), my wish list contains the Cisco SG200-26P, Supermicro CSE-846A-R1200B, MB (TBD), CPU (E5-2620, 95W TDP), memory (TBD) raid controller (TBD), home theater display (TBD), digital sound bar (TBD) and effects speakers (TBD) as needed, initial RAID6+ hot spares (WD Red, 3TB) fully populating the case by Christmas. OS candidate for the box is Win Server Essentials 2012 with Control4 for the automation. Racked support pieces are UPS for stream gear, UPS for server(s) (house tied to 20kw backup generator) new Yamaha 9.2 receiver, BDP, cable box, with an estimated rack space need of 42u.

In the perfect world, I’d throw all of this into a handheld and come up with a tight, cost-effective (excluding 10% wow-factor) system to entertain and watch over me and mine without requiring a help desk. Alternatively, I welcome your comments and recommendations of things to consider and/or reconsider as I try to fill in the blanks.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page