New Home Theater Setup - Short Wall vs Long Wall - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 03-16-2013, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm purchasing a new home and would like to know what is the optimal setup for audio quality. I will be using Klipsch La Scala mains along with a movie screen that is going to be between 110" and 100". The room size is 11'6" X 15'9". I have included 2 pictures of possible setups. Currently the opening doesn't actually exist as I will be opening a 12' wide section to connect the 2 rooms which is what I modeled in the 2 pics. I like each one because they offer something different.

Short Wall

If I put the speakers on the short wall I have a more open floor plan and easy access to the room.

Problem is all my speakers will be smushed together and my large size screen might not be able to fit.

Also I would be sitting back far and may lose my equalateral triangle listening position.

Long Wall

All my equipment can easily fit and I can have any screen size I want.

In the future I can add larger surrounds and or more seating.

My concern is that the big open space at the back of the room will effect audio quality. I have 2 15" Dayton HO subs and 1 AV123 MFW-15 sub which I'm guessing should be able to pressurize the room.

I'm really leaning towards the long wall setup as I think it's exactly what I want, but just wondering how audio setup will effect them both. My guess is that that the long wall setup is best because atleast the room setup is equal on all sides as opposed to short wall where one side is completely open and the other is not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-17-2013, 08:09 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 28
The long wall setup seems to crowd the space...the seating is in the doorway.....your rear channels will end up in the game room area.
The short wall setup allows for more of a traditional theater layout. Ideally, you don't want your seating right against the wall, how about moving the seating up to your equilateral triangle dimensions and leave some space behind to separate it from the rear channel speakers?
Is it important to be able to see the screen from the game room area? Do you already have a screen?
There is always the possibility of an acoustically transparent screen that fills the wall with your speakers behind it..............just throwing that out there.......

underachiever extraordinaire
post #3 of 5 Old 03-17-2013, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaselfest View Post

The long wall setup seems to crowd the space...the seating is in the doorway.....your rear channels will end up in the game room area.
The short wall setup allows for more of a traditional theater layout. Ideally, you don't want your seating right against the wall, how about moving the seating up to your equilateral triangle dimensions and leave some space behind to separate it from the rear channel speakers?
Is it important to be able to see the screen from the game room area? Do you already have a screen?
There is always the possibility of an acoustically transparent screen that fills the wall with your speakers behind it..............just throwing that out there.......

Do acoustically transparent screens work well considering the short distance I have? With the long wall setup I would not have my couch sticking into the game room so my surrounds would be in the theater probably about a foot from the wall, and the couch would be 6" from the wall.

How important do you think the equalateral triangle is, will the sound quality be deteriorated without it? Also what about having one side room open and not the other. It would not be even reflections, maybe this is a good thing, i'm not sure.
post #4 of 5 Old 03-18-2013, 04:37 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 28
viewing distance in the long wall setup and the acceptability of an AT screen are valid concerns. The short viewing distance could reveal the textural surface of most AT screens. I can barely make out the weave on Seymour AVs Center stage material from 7 ft (room lighting up, not during viewing) , at 14' it is undetectable. Guess the other things to consider are throw distance needed for desired screen size, and where the projector will reside, how easy it will be to get wiring there. Is there enough distance and space above the doorway to accomodate a projector aimed at the long wall?
The opening on the side vs opening in back is the real trick......is it realistic to think you could acoustically treat the long wall to help it emulate the open side?

underachiever extraordinaire
post #5 of 5 Old 03-18-2013, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaselfest View Post

.is it realistic to think you could acoustically treat the long wall to help it emulate the open side?
ou

No sure what you mean by this. I think your saying is that if I did short wall setup could I treat the long wall for less reflections.

I don't think I'd like an acoustic screen, I don't like speaker grills so I'm sure I wouldn't like a screen muffling my speakers. The projector will be fine for my size screen. Acoustically does the open back wall pose any problems or is that a good thing?
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page