I have $1500 to spend on improving my Theater. What is my best option. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 22 Old 03-17-2013, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just won an award from my work. They gave me $1500.00 worth of Amazon gift cards. I want to use it on my home theater, and was hoping to get a little advise.

Right now I am in a condo, so my HT is basic. In about 6 months I will buy a house and build a dedicated home theater. I usually buy used gear, to save a small fortune. I have not spent any money recently on anything new. I did try a Pioneer Elite Receiver with the digital amps and HDMI and all that. It didn't sound as good as my B&K gear at all so I returned it.

My theater consists of a b&k Ref 50s2. B&K AV-5000S2 amp. Sony BDP-s550 blue ray running LPCP analong out to the Ref 50. All monster m1000 series interconnects. I also have a PS3 and a Direct tv box. Right now I have a 60" Panasonic Plasma, A thiel Smart Sub, DCM TFV-6.0 as mains and CX-17 as center, plus rears. When I get the full theater going again I will use my DCM TFV -10.0's as mains (I have 2 pair) and maybe rears/ center. I will also want to go with a front projector for video. I listen to both music and movies, and would like to look into streaming lossless from my PC.

So, Knowing my plan, what gear should I buy?

1. I have been debating on upgrading to an all Thiel system. I can pick up used speakers on Audiogon, craigslist o ebay pretty cheap. I may invest the 1500 twards new ones though.

2. Oppo bdp-105 or the step down. I know they do lossless streaming and have good DAC's. However, will I see that much increase over the DAC in my B&k? (since I coudl keep it instead of getting a new processor)

3. Get a new processor. One of the newer Marantz/ onkyo ? emotiva/ outlaw. Would I need a new or better blue ray at this point? Or just use my PS3 or PS4 when it comes out. Will I notice better sound/ vid quality with lossless formats by ising an oppo over the ps3 with a newer processor? Should I get an AVR and use it as a Processor?

4. Wait and buy a projector? I would probably like this potion least. Just because I can probably grab a deal on craigslist on a used one very cheap. I am less concerned about video quality and don't want 3D. I want a good picture but my thing is mainly sound.

5. When I build my theater I will build it to my ideal. I have spent 16 years building houses, so the construction is not a problem.

So Any thoughts or ideas on how to spend my money??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 03-17-2013, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Since all of the electronic equipment you list is easily surpassed and outdated from year to year with newer "better" models I personally would put the money in upgrading to speakers that you could use in the theater when you purchase your home. IMHO that would be the best way to spend your money.

When you purchase your home, get your theater built you can then by electronics to fit your needs at that time.

Just my .02 worth.

Regards,

RTROSE
DCMlover likes this.

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #3 of 22 Old 03-17-2013, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter

I know that I will not get any upgrades to what I have now for $1500.00. So then, the question is how many thousands will I need to spend for better sound?
post #4 of 22 Old 03-19-2013, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter

Is there a better thread to throw this question in to get more responses?
post #5 of 22 Old 03-19-2013, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Hard to say. This is a very open ended and subjective question.
I am not one who constantly updates equipment. I built my system slowly and keep components until they are painfully outdated.

As RT mentioned, speakers are a safe bet as they tend to last a long time. But you can't buy speakers from a catalog. You need to go listen and listen some more. Find the ones you love and then never look back. Also, you can't possibly listen in Best Buy with the crowds around, hard walls and 30' ceilings.

With amplifiers, players, display devices, there are new "must have" features coming out every six months. Probably best to hold off until you buy the house. When you do buy, get the best you need and then STOP reading. It can drive you crazy otherwise.
post #6 of 22 Old 03-19-2013, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter

I am a firm believer in old school technology. I mean, for the most part, Amps and Speakers havent changed much over time. Processors and Media has. I know there is not one specific answer. Just looking at many ideas and opinions to help me make up my mind. I would go ask for advise at a shop, but they will want me to spend the most money.
post #7 of 22 Old 03-19-2013, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 77
You could buy a nice table saw, to eventually help build your theater.

I think the acoustic room treatments are important variables missing from your 'great sound' equation. You get that by building your theater from scratch - hence the saw rec.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #8 of 22 Old 03-19-2013, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter

I got all the saws I need. I have built houses most of my life. I will build the room custom the way I want.
post #9 of 22 Old 03-19-2013, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member

I suggest you spend a week or two reading through the Dedicated Home Theater subforum, before spending a dime on anything, if that is what you eventually really want. Start planning for that, and all the associated costs.

http://www.avsforum.com/f/19/dedicated-theater-design-construction

Even though you are a pro home builder, there are many 'gotchas' to consider for a dedicated HT.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #10 of 22 Old 03-29-2013, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter

Not concerened about the construction phase. Just the equipment to purchase.
post #11 of 22 Old 03-29-2013, 06:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Option 2 or 3.

The Oppo 105 could function as prepro if the pair of hdmi inputs and asynchronous USB DAC input covers your needs.

Otherwise, a prepro or receiver as prepro. More flexibility then the 105 and the PS3 would pair up nicely using hdmi.
post #12 of 22 Old 03-29-2013, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter

Now if I use the PS3, will the SQ be bad? Or is it just a transport taking the signal to the pre/pro for decoding? Same with the video? Any video advantages of the oppo with HDMI only?
post #13 of 22 Old 03-30-2013, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

The PS3 is a very good source. I use it and my Oppo 103 pretty much interchangeably, into an Integra 80.2, via hdmi.

I first saw a PS3 on a 130" screen, playing back through a $100K sound system. I was sold, and bought one two days later.

Pairing your PS3 with a new prepro gives you some specific advantages over the 105. Room EQ, more hdmi inputs, and the ability to
matrix 2 channel sources into multichannel. The 105 is a little more limited, but still an excellent option. Another option would to pair a $900 Denon
receiver as prepro, with an Oppo 103. The Denon receiver approach Dennis Erskine often recommends.
post #14 of 22 Old 03-30-2013, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter

Very Nice. Now what what you think of an Emotiva UPA-200 processor? Seems like maybe a pre/pro than a Denon receiver?
post #15 of 22 Old 03-31-2013, 05:59 AM
AVS Special Member

I have zero experience with Emotiva so no help there....
post #16 of 22 Old 03-31-2013, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter

Or there is the new Outlaw. I don't really care about THX and old legacy connections. Just good sound and DAC's.
post #17 of 22 Old 04-01-2013, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter

Ok,

So I bought an all BOSE system! Acoustimass 33 from the BOSE outlet store! It is gonna be so awesome!!
post #18 of 22 Old 04-01-2013, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 46
I almost believed you, then remembered it was April Fools Day. Nice one.

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #19 of 22 Old 04-01-2013, 10:34 PM - Thread Starter

Hahahah. Thanks! I love me some BOSE!
post #20 of 22 Old 04-02-2013, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Hehe.

post #21 of 22 Old 04-08-2013, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter

I think I am going to try buying a pair of B&W or Martin Logan open box speakers from best buy to compare how they sound to my DCM. There is no hifi shops near me to demo anything from, so Best buy is my only choice.
post #22 of 22 Old 04-13-2013, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter

I ended up buying a projector! Going to return it though. It was a cheap open box projector. Not bad, but not going to keep it. It had a throw too short.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page