Originally Posted by ncube2
1. Is this size a decent one for a media room ?
This is roughly the same size of the room I am working on (17x14). I'm going with 7.1 and possibly a second row...depending on the overall finished space. Search around the forum for other similar sized room builds. Lots of great ideas on this site.
2. My initial plans were to go with a 7.x setup (But that would be an upgrade as per my builder sigh), considering my media room size, Is 5.1 sufficient enough or going for a 7.x be justified.
Adding two channels = speaker wire and termination point(s). Dirt cheap and very easy if the walls are open (ie., not drywalled).
3. How much would it cost to upgrade to a 7.x wiring from 5.1.. Is that an easy fix later or is it better done right now.
Always easier and cheaper to do before the walls go up.
4. I am not 100% technical guy, so i have no idea on what would be a good choice.. This setup is for an average usage i would say couple of hrs of tv & 1-2 movies/week.. some light gaming with my kids w wii/ps3
Not sure what you're asking here. Good choice for equipment? Whether 7.1 or not?
5. I know i am going to get the bare bone setup from my builder and i will have to buy the equipment (projector/receiver/speakers etc.. so what would be a ball par figure for going with a 5.1 vs 7.x setup.
Oh man, this question would take any one of us a massively long time to answer. First off you need to frame out your budget, expectations, preferences, ete etc before anyone can even begin to help you.
Best thing to do is spend some time reading through these forums.
6. And what would be a good way of going about getting this equipment.. buy local or look for sales and any brands that i should avoid.
I find when pricing out your equipment you should keep in mind your not only price, but ease of returns and RMAs. Without knowing where in this big world you live it will be hard to answer that question.
Just to give you a point of reference. I've spent many hours researching, planning, revising, and working within a very tight budget in building my modest, little room downstairs. But I love this stuff, so the ongoing journey has been fun. I found that most of the questions I've had were already answered within this forum. I have become quite adept at searching.