Newbie Home Theater Setup Qns - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 03-18-2013, 07:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Well the thread name says it all.. I need some help from the experts here. Have couple of qns here so pardon my ignorance.
I will be moving to my new home in about 5 months and my media room dimensions are 17"-6' X 13"-0' from the specs. And the builder sheet says it will be pre-wired with a 5.1 wiring. So here are my qns:
1. Is this size a decent one for a media room ?
2. My initial plans were to go with a 7.x setup (But that would be an upgrade as per my builder sigh), considering my media room size, Is 5.1 sufficient enough or going for a 7.x be justified.
3. How much would it cost to upgrade to a 7.x wiring from 5.1.. Is that an easy fix later or is it better done right now.
4. I am not 100% technical guy, so i have no idea on what would be a good choice.. This setup is for an average usage i would say couple of hrs of tv & 1-2 movies/week.. some light gaming with my kids w wii/ps3
5. I know i am going to get the bare bone setup from my builder and i will have to buy the equipment (projector/receiver/speakers etc.. so what would be a ball par figure for going with a 5.1 vs 7.x setup.
6. And what would be a good way of going about getting this equipment.. buy local or look for sales and any brands that i should avoid.

I am sure i will have more qns as we go on.. so hoping some of you folks can help me out here.
Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-18-2013, 01:23 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
some advice I can offer, talk to your builder, adding 7.1 is not that big of a deal, he's trying to milk you. you can most likely get by with 5.1, especially if you invest in higher end speakers. And yes it is much much better to pre-install your wiring, it can be a real pain doing in wall wiring depending on how your home is built. Invest in good quality speaker cable, doesn't have to be Monster, but cable thats known to be of good quality so you don't have to worry about it for a while. If you have a dedicated home theater room with a good set up, you will start getting more into this stuff more and more because its just plain awesome! GOOD LUCK biggrin.gif
post #3 of 5 Old 03-19-2013, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Anyone else can chime in and answer my qns.. expecting a little more help from you fellas.
post #4 of 5 Old 03-19-2013, 12:42 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncube2 View Post

This is roughly the same size of the room I am working on (17x14). I'm going with 7.1 and possibly a second row...depending on the overall finished space. Search around the forum for other similar sized room builds. Lots of great ideas on this site.
Quote:
2. My initial plans were to go with a 7.x setup (But that would be an upgrade as per my builder sigh), considering my media room size, Is 5.1 sufficient enough or going for a 7.x be justified.
Adding two channels = speaker wire and termination point(s). Dirt cheap and very easy if the walls are open (ie., not drywalled).
Quote:
3. How much would it cost to upgrade to a 7.x wiring from 5.1.. Is that an easy fix later or is it better done right now.
Always easier and cheaper to do before the walls go up.
Quote:
4. I am not 100% technical guy, so i have no idea on what would be a good choice.. This setup is for an average usage i would say couple of hrs of tv & 1-2 movies/week.. some light gaming with my kids w wii/ps3
Not sure what you're asking here. Good choice for equipment? Whether 7.1 or not?
Quote:
5. I know i am going to get the bare bone setup from my builder and i will have to buy the equipment (projector/receiver/speakers etc.. so what would be a ball par figure for going with a 5.1 vs 7.x setup.
Oh man, this question would take any one of us a massively long time to answer. First off you need to frame out your budget, expectations, preferences, ete etc before anyone can even begin to help you.

Best thing to do is spend some time reading through these forums.
Quote:
6. And what would be a good way of going about getting this equipment.. buy local or look for sales and any brands that i should avoid.
I find when pricing out your equipment you should keep in mind your not only price, but ease of returns and RMAs. Without knowing where in this big world you live it will be hard to answer that question.

Just to give you a point of reference. I've spent many hours researching, planning, revising, and working within a very tight budget in building my modest, little room downstairs. But I love this stuff, so the ongoing journey has been fun. I found that most of the questions I've had were already answered within this forum. I have become quite adept at searching.

I think it's past time to upgrade my equipment and my room.
post #5 of 5 Old 03-19-2013, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncube2 View Post

Well the thread name says it all.. I need some help from the experts here. Have couple of qns here so pardon my ignorance.
I will be moving to my new home in about 5 months and my media room dimensions are 17"-6' X 13"-0' from the specs. And the builder sheet says it will be pre-wired with a 5.1 wiring. So here are my qns:

I am sure i will have more qns as we go on.. so hoping some of you folks can help me out here.
Cheers!

I will take a stab at it as well and I will also echo some previous answers (as it is good advise) so if I repeat some of what others say I apologize in advance.

1. Yes this is a decent sized room. Is it huge, no, but is is bigger than a lot of fabulous theaters here so you have lots of potential. If you want to see what is possible with limited space search for small theater builds or I think there might be a thread of smaller sized rooms over in the dedicated theater forum. You can reads lots there.

2. Yes go with the 7.1 or even 7.2 setup. As others have stated it is much cheaper to add wires and plates now before everything is all sealed up. I would also suggest the builder run some electrical to the ceiling along with some conduit about 13-15 feet back from one of the narrower walls so that you could go projection vs. TV which I would suggest you do anyway and skip the TV altogether.

3. The cost in time and material should be minimal, but it will be cheaper now than when the room is "finished".

4. If you are looking for equipment recommendations, well there are just about as many opinions on equipment as there are forum members. If you are unsure of either PJ or TV you could always put in both and have a retractable screen for movies, and a TV for general viewing and gaming. Nothing wrong with using a PJ for everything, just bad to turn them on and off multiple times a day like you do a "regular" TV.

5. This depends directly on your budget. Equipment recommendations will vary wildly from a 1k budget to a 10k budget. What are you willing to spend on equipment. Some are happy with 3k in gear others 30K or even 300k, you set the limit here.

6. Do you have any issues buying online? If you don't typically you will get the best prices online, just purchase from an authorized dealer so warranties and returns should that be necessary go more smoothly. I have had good luck with Yamaha, Onkyo, Epson, Panasonic, Samsung, Klipsch, Oppo, JVC, among others. I tend to stay away from the "no name" brands, the ones you have never heard of until you see them on the shelves at your local big box store.

Good luck.

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page