Running Power Cable into wall - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 03-19-2013, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am looking to put all my components underneath my staircase. The electrical outlet is located on the other side of the staircase wall. The staircase wall is cinder block. The wall where the electrical outlet is drywall.

I was thinking of drilling a hole through the cinder block and running a power cord through there. The dry wall side is uninsulated. The total length of the cord through the wall would be less than 12 inches. Probably 4 inches between cinder block and drywall and 8 inches through the cinder block.

It probably isn't up to code, but was wondering it was really that big of a deal? Or other options?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 03-19-2013, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
DEFINITELY NOT up to code, unless by "power cable" you mean running 14g (or 12g) 3 conductor electric wire, pigtailing to the existing outlet and installing a new outlet under the stairs.

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends
Need motivation? Get LOGANED
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1014847

An as-yet un-named theater designed by Big-WarrenP-BritInVA
post #3 of 11 Old 03-19-2013, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 365
PowerBridge or similar product...

http://www.powerbridgesolution.com/avsspecialorder.html

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #4 of 11 Old 03-20-2013, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 92
For no more work than you're talking, do it right (Powerbridge or equivalent)
post #5 of 11 Old 03-21-2013, 11:49 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Reminds me of this:

__________________________________________________ ______

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1415464/aa...sement-theater
post #6 of 11 Old 03-23-2013, 08:04 AM

Liked: 10
I'm in a lot of home for work (residential satellite installer) and you wouldn't believe how many times I've seen that done. I've definitely seen my share of "shady" electrical work.
post #7 of 11 Old 03-25-2013, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 66
The powerbridge is nice, but for less than $10 you can do this properly and to code without any special tools. Just pigtail off the existing outlet and run romex to a metal workbox.

This isn't really the type of application for something like the powerbridge.

~Tighr: Not helping the situation since 1983

post #8 of 11 Old 03-25-2013, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tighr View Post

The powerbridge is nice, but for less than $10 you can do this properly and to code without any special tools. Just pigtail off the existing outlet and run romex to a metal workbox.

This isn't really the type of application for something like the powerbridge.

confused.gif It's exactly the application the powerbridge products were built for... Mostly for low-volt installers to be able to wall-mount TVs without touching line voltage gear, so they don't have to be licensed electricians to do that job. (probably a technicality really)

But you're right, with an outlet that close (in the same stud bay), running romex from the existing outlet to form a new outlet at TV-height is a good choice and not that difficult. Doing that well would use a recessed outlet box behind the TV, and you'll want a scoop for the low-volt cables to enter from below, so a 'good' job will be more than $10... But it will be correct and up to code.

The last wall mount I did in my house as a retrofit I installed a four-gang Arlington 'TV Box', which gives a lot of room behind the TV, but also makes it really simple to fish the romex up from the outlet, as you can get your whole arm in the wall! The 3-4 gang TV Box is around $20.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
post #9 of 11 Old 03-25-2013, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 80
The power bridge product also allows you to run your TV or PJ to a SPD/UPS/conditioner.

I used a similar Midlite outlet/extender to run my LAN equipment in a LV enclosure to my UPS.

Midlite_4642-W.jpg

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #10 of 11 Old 03-25-2013, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 66
I say that based on his post saying nothing about cables themselves, just power. He's not installing a TV, he's putting components on a shelf underneath a stairwell on the other side of cinderblock, and the nearest power is on the other side of that block. A powerbridge is overkill for the application. He doesn't need recessed power or cables, unless I am mistaken.

~Tighr: Not helping the situation since 1983

post #11 of 11 Old 03-25-2013, 10:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tighr View Post

I say that based on his post saying nothing about cables themselves, just power. He's not installing a TV, he's putting components on a shelf underneath a stairwell on the other side of cinderblock, and the nearest power is on the other side of that block. A powerbridge is overkill for the application. He doesn't need recessed power or cables, unless I am mistaken.

You're correct, my mistake - he didn't mention a TV, just relocating components. And reading it again, he's got a cinder block wall to deal with. Powerbridge won't help there - if anything, a surface mounted metal box on both sides with that $10 worth of parts is the best answer.

Sorry for the confusion,

Jeff

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page