Improving vibration dampening on a projector - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 03-20-2013, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My projector is placed on a shelf that is mounted to a very rigidly built drywalled box around some ducts. When touching the bottom of the shelf I can feel some vibration from the sound pressure being translated to the shelf. The projector (Epson 8500) rests on some rounded soft rubber pads and touching the projector I do not notice any vibration on the projector. So the pads are doing their job. My concern is that I can feel the vibration on the shelf when the music is played at very moderate wife acceptable level. At higher sound levels the vibration may be transferred to the projector degrading the picture (and probably decreasing the projector MTBF) . For this reason I am considering an extra layer of dampening by making a small platform out of a piece of hardboard resting on pieces of weather stripping foam. I will probably have to experiment with the amount and /or type of foam to get it into the right elasticity zone given the weight of the projector.

Has anyone had a similar problem to solve?

Epson 8500UB (R); Elite Electric100 16:9; Yamaha RX-V671; Polk Monitor 60 x 2, Polk CS2, Polk Monitor 30 x 4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 03-21-2013, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I believe I have found the answer on what material to use under the platform (instead of foam) . The material is called Sorbothane

http://www.sorbothane.com/

The secret is to find the right size for the weight of the projector. Three of these will probably do the trick.

http://www.amazon.com/Sorbothane-Hemisphere-Non-Skid-Adhesive-Durometer/dp/B003IMJ3S2/ref=pd_bxgy_hi_img_z

If it is good enough to stop vibrations to a turn table, it should be good enough for a projector.

Epson 8500UB (R); Elite Electric100 16:9; Yamaha RX-V671; Polk Monitor 60 x 2, Polk CS2, Polk Monitor 30 x 4
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page