Cat6 wire location? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 03-21-2013, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Am building a new house and need to locate the Cat6 wiring ports. My instinct is to locate them near the coaxial because eventually, TVs will be run via Cat6. Am I off on this?

If I shouldn't locate them near coaxial (and where I'd expect to have a tv) where would you suggest putting them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-22-2013, 08:29 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Running cat 6 close to coax and probably makes the most logistic sense if you are just wiring for internet ready devices like blu ray players, receivers, streaming devices, tvs etc.

It really depends on how you intend on using the cat 6. If you read the Home A/V Distribution forum here you will see that a general recommendation is to run 3-4 cat 6 cables to each room where you might eventually have video and hardwired internet access. Many people only use wireless internet access now but some people (me included) prefer the stability of a hard wired ethernet connection for certain devices. The additional cat 6 cables are pulled for potential distribution of HDMI over cat 6 or HDbaseT and/or keypad integration with whole house audio/video distribution systems where the signal source originates from one point like an equipment closet for distribution to different tvs.
post #3 of 4 Old 03-23-2013, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Many of my cat 6 wires are located right near cat6 wires, and I still get near theoretical maximum transfer rates for cat6. I ran two cat 6 and one RG6 (and one phone cable at the time) to each room. For some locations, I ran a few more cat6 cables for some important locations.

Bob
post #4 of 4 Old 03-23-2013, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctviggen View Post

Many of my cat 6 wires are located right near cat6 wires, and I still get near theoretical maximum transfer rates for cat6. I ran two cat 6 and one RG6 (and one phone cable at the time) to each room. For some locations, I ran a few more cat6 cables for some important locations.
10GBASE-T? Or do you test your cables with RF Sweep gear? Most of us use 100BASE-T or 1000BASE-T.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page