SoCal Garage/Home Theater Setup - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 03-23-2013, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys, finally got around to taking some pictures of my garage/theater setup. Still not finished (need to put the carpet in and whatnot) but as a whole I'm happy how things have turned out. Seeing as I did all the construction myself, including wiring, hook up, hanging the screen, I think it looks pretty decent for a garage lol sorry about the lack of light in the pictures, even with 6 can lights my phone still wont take the awesome pictures I so wish it could. Either way here is my setup!

Receiver - Pioneer SC-37
Mains - Polk TSI500's
Center - Polk CS20
Surrounds - Infinity Flush In-Ceiling Mounted
Sub - Polk PSW505
T.V. - Insignia 47" LCD
Projector - Epson 5020UB
Projector Screen - Monoprice 92" Motorized Matte White 1.0 Gain
Blu-ray - Ps3 80gig Fat
Gaming - Xbox360 12gig Fat w/HD DVD drive
Broadcast - DirecTV HD DVR HR24
Vinyl Player - Numark TTUSB Turntable with USB
Archived Movie Player - Pivos Aios w/1TB Drive
Computer - Sabertooth z77 Board
Intel i3770-k Chip
Nvidia Geforce GTX 680
128g Solid State for Boot and Apps
1TB HDD for Games and Movies
Win 7

I tried to do things nice, but wanted it to be cost effective BECAUSE its a garage. And where I live city code says I still have to get a car in there if need be. When I initially started this my garage looked like one of those houses you see on the show "Horders". Junk packed to the brim in there, and everything needing to be throw away. When I finally got everything cleared out, I was able to see just how much work everything was going to take. Replaced the garage door, replaced and re-piped for a new water heater and washer/dryer set up, replaced a window and 9 foot glass door slider leading into the back yard. Took down the couple ceiling joists that were there and built a brand new ceiling with can lights and a drop down ladder so I could store stuff in the attic. Insulated everything, used 5/8th's drywall all the way around, and called it a day. Then a couple years later I got the HT bug and thought to myself "I need to make this a dedicated space." So I built out the wall a little in the front to run all my speaker wire and electrical, and then built a shelf system to hold on my goodies. Decided I wanted a darker color for the wall so ended up repainting, again. Even after all that was said and done, I wanted more. I was happy with my 47" TV for everyday use, but I wanted bigger for movies and sports. So I did my research and ended up buying an Epson 5020 projector. Didn't feel the need to spend 2k on a screen, so I tested my luck with buying a Monoprice 92" motorized screen. Both of which I'm completely happy with I might add. I wish I could have gotten a bigger screen (I still might lol) but seeing as I had to hang the screen off the the ceiling to miss the garage door rail, and off the back wall to miss the television and wall build out, I was kind of limited. But all and all I think it came out kinda neat for a DIY project.

A lot of people have questions about the Monoprice projectors, as far as sound of the motor and speed. Here's a video I took to give you an idea.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-23-2013, 06:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked: 569
That's an impressive amount of work. How does it sound?

BTW, since you are in SoCal, surprised I haven't seen you at any of the local home theatre meets.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/727555/los-angeles-home-theater-group-meet

Sanjay
post #3 of 7 Old 03-23-2013, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks smile.gif sounds pretty good considering its a garage. I have enough objects and what not that it helps keep the reverb to a min. My garage door is insulated, and with the drywall/insulation in the walls, you dont even hear it in the house, and just a little bit outside; at least than I'm not bugging my neighbors. I love my speakers, but Im getting the itch to upgrade them to the rti a9's (maybe the a11's) with the matching center speaker. Heard they are even better for HT. But I'm not in a crazy rush with that. Have to many other home improvement things that the girlfriend is bugging me about lol Maybe when I'm done with some of those I'll get to upgrading some more. I was also wanting an external amp for the front 3 speakers. Hell I would LOVE a sunfire amp, but every time i see them up for sale they get picked off faster then I can respond.

As far as the meet, I had no idea there even WAS one. I'm not super active on the board, at least with posting. But I wouldn't mind cruising over and enjoying the company of other audio/video-phile's. Seeing as I'm just 30 I know most people are used to more grown up people messing around with these types of things. So its fun to talk to people with way more experience then me ha
post #4 of 7 Old 03-24-2013, 10:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked: 569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theheadsn View Post

I wouldn't mind cruising over and enjoying the company of other audio/video-phile's.
We're trying for a get together on April 6th, so if can make time that day, you'll get to see a couple of local home theatres (both started off as garages).

Post in the Los Angeles meets thread if interested:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/727555/los-angeles-home-theater-group-meet/4770#post_23118195

Sanjay
post #5 of 7 Old 03-25-2013, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Nice work. smile.gif. I'm one of the people hosting on the 6th as Sanjay mentioned. Hope you have time to show up.
post #6 of 7 Old 03-31-2013, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter

where exactly is it going to be located? anyway you could shoot me an address? and what the heck should I bring?! ha I feel weird about just showing up
post #7 of 7 Old 04-02-2013, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theheadsn View Post

where exactly is it going to be located? anyway you could shoot me an address? and what the heck should I bring?! ha I feel weird about just showing up

PMed you my address. Looking foward to meeting you.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page