Design for living room 5.1 surround - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 03-24-2013, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Folks,

I'm new to the forum, hoping I'm posting this in a reasonable area. I'm building a new house, and at the stage where the electrician just asked me about pre-wiring for speakers. Argh, I'm so busy trying to keep up with everything, this is one more to quickly come up with. As you've guessed, I'm no expert in the area, and am looking for a bit of help. We've got two dens, each of which will probably just have two in-wall speakers installed, for output from PC and/or stereo. So I'm not too worried about those. But the living room has the TV and hopefully a 5.1 surround layout. I'm attaching a plan view of the living room so you can get the idea. It's a huge room actually, with family room, dining room and kitchen all in one large area. But realistically what I want is good sound in the living room area, for watching TV. I'm not trying to lay out speakers everywhere in the dining room, kitchen, etc.

As you can see, the TV is to the left of the fireplace. I've placed a bunch of numbers around so folks can point to relevant places of interest. I'm leaning toward in-wall or in-ceiling speakers, subs, surrounds, but am open to any thoughts. Specifically I'm hoping for suggestions on locations for these 6 speakers (or if 6 is even the number). I'm looking at about a $3K-$5K budget for the speakers, and hoping for Triad products if I can afford it.

Thanks for any suggestions!
Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 03-25-2013, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Hello and welcome. You have a challenging space for sound placement.

I would put your front three and sub at 3,4,5, and 6. I would then place your surround speakers (you best bet is inceiling due to your space at 1 and 9 the way it's drawn or if you angle the couch to face the TV then 1 and 11.

Hope this helps.

Good luck.

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #3 of 11 Old 03-25-2013, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Is the fireplace already installed? If not, I'd highly suggest moving it to the corner (where you show the TV) such that you'd be able to place the TV and speakers both in a more optimal pattern...

Won't affect your enjoyment of the fireplace, but certainly affects the TV and the audio system.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #4 of 11 Old 03-25-2013, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys. Yes, the fireplace is already installed, and as you can tell Home Theater is not something my wife and I have spent a lot of energy on. It's more of an afterthought, but I'd just as soon get the speakers in the best place possible within the limitations.

Any chance I could put the right speaker on the other side of the fireplace (7) and the left at (3), and presumably these need to be free-standing speakers as installing the left on in the wall pointing toward the opposite wall isn't exactly optimal?

Surrounds in the ceiling sounds good to me.

Dave
post #5 of 11 Old 03-25-2013, 11:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, you could run the wires in the wall to 7 and 3 as potential locations, but I think you'll end up with L/R speakers adjacent to the TV (4 & 6). But if you don't put the wire in the wall for (7) now, it'll be out of the running...

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 

post #6 of 11 Old 03-26-2013, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

My thinking is that if you actually have a speaker at position 7 it would sound weird to have the sound come from that far away from the TV. JMHO.

Regards,

RTROSE

Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
post #7 of 11 Old 03-26-2013, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post

My thinking is that if you actually have a speaker at position 7 it would sound weird to have the sound come from that far away from the TV. JMHO.

Agreed, but for a 2-channel music system, you'd want (7), which is why I suggested running a wire there...

post #8 of 11 Old 03-26-2013, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

DOH, missed the wire recommendation. Guess I should not speed read through posts! biggrin.gif

If we are talking about just running wires, then I would suggest running them to all locations.. Just never know when you will want the "whole house" bathed in audio for those large get togethers/parties.

Running wires is cheap (relatively) at this stage.

Regards,

RTROSE

post #9 of 11 Old 03-27-2013, 08:09 PM - Thread Starter

Good plan, thanks. I'll run wire to a couple more spots. If nothing else, it'll guarantee that I don't need them smile.gif

Dave
post #10 of 11 Old 03-27-2013, 08:40 PM
AVS Special Member

^^^Ain't that the truth! That goes right with keeping something for years on end, finally throwing it away and needing it a week later.

Regards,

RTROSE

post #11 of 11 Old 03-31-2013, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Pinnacle Speakers Bar None Sys 50-510 Audiophile Speaker Bar?

Product Description
Pinnacle presents the first Audiophile SPEAKER BAR HTIB. The BAR NONE SYS 50-510 is designed for best performance with TVs 50-Inch and up and is recommended for rooms up to 600 square feet with 8'-9' ceilings. The system features one (1) 15-Element Piano Lacquer SPEAKER BAR, where all 3 front channels are in 1 non-resonant, extruded aluminum enclosure. Also included are two (2) 2-Element rear channel speakers in non-resonant, extruded aluminum cabinets; one (1) Dual (2) 8-Inch 600 Watt bipole subwoofer and one (1) Base for table top placement of the SPEAKER BAR. Non-resonant, aircraft grade, extruded aluminum construction means you can play both the SPEAKER BAR and rear channels as loud as you wish with no vibration (resonance) from the cabinet.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page