Help a Projector N00b! :) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 03-28-2013, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I need some advise on properly setting up my home theater.
My budget is about $2k and I am leaning towards getting a BenQ 1070 package from VisualApex with a 120" tensioned motorized screen.
The area that I am trying to place the screen is at an angled wall ~115 degrees (it would replace the rear projection monster on the picture), so placement of the projector gets a little tricky and is a problem for a n00b like me.
The distance from the wall to the left of the pole about where I am thinking of mounting the projector is roughly 16ft.
There is a 1ft drop for the projector (not including the mount and projector itself) since it's on the sofit.

I played with the calculator on projectorcenteral and it seems like it would work... however since I never done anything like that before I would like to get my placement scrutinized before I even order the projector.

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 03-28-2013, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 113
I hope you are prepared to paint the ceiling black and sidewalls next to the ends of the screen Dark as well.. White ceiling will trash your image.
Can't really comment on you placement, I use a table for my projector so I can move it where I need it.wink.gif
post #3 of 11 Old 03-28-2013, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 363
Motorized because it would cover that door? What's behind the door? You might think about a fixed screen built on a hinge to allow "occasional" access to that door if that's a storage area or other infrequently-accessed room. I know there are several examples of that technique around the forum...

I assume you're going to mount the screen at an angle matching the wall behind it?

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #4 of 11 Old 03-29-2013, 04:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post

I hope you are prepared to paint the ceiling black and sidewalls next to the ends of the screen Dark as well.. White ceiling will trash your image.
Can't really comment on you placement, I use a table for my projector so I can move it where I need it.wink.gif

No not really frown.gif
I can control the window lighting 100% but wife will definitely shut down the project as the the open area in the basement is about 1000sf and the area in the picture is about 300sf, so having nearly a 1/3 of an area completely different color will definitely go fromn wow nice basement to TWF happened here..
Any other options? as well as any special paint? Hmm...
post #5 of 11 Old 03-29-2013, 04:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

Motorized because it would cover that door? What's behind the door? You might think about a fixed screen built on a hinge to allow "occasional" access to that door if that's a storage area or other infrequently-accessed room. I know there are several examples of that technique around the forum...

I assume you're going to mount the screen at an angle matching the wall behind it?

Motorized will fit all the way from the left wall to cover the door also. It should fit perfectly between left and right wall bends.
We only use TV there occasionally.., so most of the time the screen would be rolled up.
Also my media rack is on the left side.., I build a custom in-wall cabinet for it and the back of it has a door. to access all the AV components.
Sometime in the future I will put 2 rails in the front and put a sliding glass or something similar so I can slide it over to cover the front.
The screen will be ceiling mounted probably 2 inches from the wall.

Thanks
post #6 of 11 Old 03-29-2013, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Basic physics of a front projection system.
Screen is passive and produces no light, just reflects what light hits it.
Black in the projected image is created by the absence of light.
The projector puts out a very large amount of light directed at the white screen.
The very bright light reflects off the white screen and onto the WHITE ceiling and side walls.
The reflected light from the ceiling and side walls bounces back on the white screen and lights up the screen putting LIGHT on the areas of the image that should be BLACK (absent light)

So, as you can imagine having a White ceiling 10" or 15" away from a giant Screen will really light up that ceiling and wash out your image.
What you need to do is find a way to make about 5' of ceiling and adjoining walls Dark so they do not reflect back on the screen.

Do you NEED to do this NOW, No, you will love the big screen with washed out blacks, but eventually you will want to fix it and need to know of the potential problem before you start.

Here are the search results of paint ceiling . There are ideas and pictures in some of the threads
http://www.avsforum.com/newsearch?advanced=1&action=disp&search=Paint+ceiling+&titleonly=1&byuser=&output=all&containingforum[]=15&replycompare=gt&numupdates=&sdate=0&newer=1&sort=relevance&order=descending&Search=SEARCH

http://www.avsforum.com/newsearch?advanced=1&action=disp&search=paint+ceiling&titleonly=1&byuser=&output=all&containingforum[]=23&replycompare=gt&numupdates=&sdate=0&newer=1&sort=relevance&order=descending&Search=SEARCH
post #7 of 11 Old 03-30-2013, 04:29 AM - Thread Starter

Well.., way to ruin my project airscapes, lmao.., just kidding.
Talked to my wife.., she wasn't very receptive to the idea.. lol.., go figure.
She did say that we can see how it is and go from there., so that is a BIG plus.
I am just going to get screen and projector mounted and then probably temp mount some black cloth., etc.. so she can see the difference...
when she does.., we will get cranking on some designs.
Since we don't really go for standard mainstream stuff I might actually have to come up with some designs that will look pleasing to the eye with no screen down and
reflect light when the screen is used.
Ugh.... the work for a 120" screen.. lol....

Thanks
post #8 of 11 Old 03-30-2013, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 47
When you see that beautiful 120" image it will be worth it. Trust me it will. You'll like it so much that to make it better you will WANT to paint or come up with some type of plan to control the reflected light. Even some paint even very dark (except for say flat mouse ears black) will reflect some (even if a little) light back. The best thing is black velvet or fleece fabric on the ceiling/side walls to help control that. The fabric acts like a light vacuum and really eliminates the reflections. You could even get fancy/artistic with that as a "design element" that SWMBO can approve of or even like.

Good luck and welcome to the madness!

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #9 of 11 Old 03-30-2013, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Yep, it is all about creativity, compromise and working with what you have. Black or dark Burgundy Velvet adhered to panels to make a nice curved panel is what I have considered for my living room. For now I don't really need it due to the fact I only use a portion of the 120" screen with a masking system and the image is far enough away from the ceiling that it is not an issues..
Good luck and have fun!
post #10 of 11 Old 03-30-2013, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter

Awesome... thanks for all the input.
What do you guys think of something like this? http://www.nightskymurals.com/
Wife will be happier and it should give me some darkness as well as probably a decent dent in my wallet. lol
post #11 of 11 Old 03-30-2013, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 47
They are very cool. He is a forum member here. Oddly enough he goes by NightSkyMurals. tongue.gif

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page