Need help with HT build for my new house... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 04-01-2013, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
First off, let me say thank you to whomever takes time out of their day to respond and help me with this setup.

Now, on to business. I should be breaking ground on my new house in a couple weeks. In the new house, I'm planning on having a multi-zone setup. The primary zone will be the living room with a modest 5.1 setup. The secondary zone will be the back porch area where I plan on installing a TV with a couple speakers mounted in the porch ceiling.

What I need help with the most is choosing a receiver that can handle the 2 zones that won't break my bank account. I also need help with getting picture to the TV on the porch. I was thinking I could just go with a HDMI splitter coming out of the receiver. I don't really care if each TV can be watched completely independently of each other......same picture on both tv is fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 04-01-2013, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was thinking something like this...(see attached) Home Theater Diagram.pdf 25k .pdf file
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Home Theater Diagram.pdf (25.4 KB, 9 views)
post #3 of 3 Old 04-01-2013, 09:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 355
First, you should be spending time in the A/V distribution forum and over reading the Cocoontech "Wiring Your New House" articles:

http://cocoontech.com/forums/files/file/64-wiring-your-new-house-101/

You will only get one chance to pre-wire the house - it will never be this cheap or easy to do ever again, so overdoing it is the right answer. You say you don't care about having the patio playing the same as the TV inside - but you might in the future.

But to answer your questions - there are tons of cheap AVRs with zone2 support nowadays. The least expensive ones will require an external zone2 amp. That is easily added for <$100 (AudioSource AMP-100). Just make sure the AVR has an "app" so you have a quick and easy remote control solution, and that it supports its internet-based sources (Pandora, etc.) on zone2 (most of them do now).

HDMI splitter can work - you should run 2xcat5e wires an expect to use an HDMI extender for that run. And that sort of point-to-point cabling should be over-and-above the structured wiring you SHOULD be doing for those locations and many others, anyway. biggrin.gif

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page