Projector screen without nails. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 04-02-2013, 08:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello.

I'm looking at purchasing an electric screen around 120" and I was wondering if anyone makes some sort of elegant pillars or something that could hold a screen up like that?

This would be mainly to avoid making holes in the wall or ceiling and also to be able to hide the AC cords in the pillars. I'm guessing the pillars would need to be 7 to 8 feet in height. I would then place the electric screen in between the 2 pillars and have a tv set behind the screen which would be on it's own minimalist tv stand.

Denon AVR-2313CI
Klipsch RW-12D on Gramma
JBL Northridge Series N24|| x 6
JBL Northridge Series N-CENTER||
Large box of Milk Duds chocolate caramel candy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-03-2013, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 111
That would be custom and you would need to put holes in the floor and ceiling to anchor the pillars.

Doug

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 11 Old 04-03-2013, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter

thanks.

Yeah, I'm thinking of instead, trying to hold the screen up with 2 bookshelves. One on each end.

I just don't know how to make it look elegant...

You would think there would have to be a way to suspend a projector screen in the air via other means besides mounting on the wall or ceiling.

I have OCD and so I really don't want to make any holes in the house if I can help it. I know it sounds crazy to most people I suppose. frown.gif

The last time I made mounting holes for something was to install some blinds in a room and I cracked the wooden window frames because I used a screwdriver instead of a drill.

Last time I used a drill, the holes were off and the doorbell I installed almost hung a little crooked.

All the projector screen stands I've seen so far look far out there, like this one.

Aren't there any nice ones?

I want to have a nice projector screen stand or means to keep it held up without putting holes in the ceiling or wall that can hide a tv behind it. The screen would be electric so it would go up out of sight when tv was being watched.

Denon AVR-2313CI
Klipsch RW-12D on Gramma
post #4 of 11 Old 04-03-2013, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleLarry View Post

thanks.

Yeah, I'm thinking of instead, trying to hold the screen up with 2 bookshelves. One on each end.

I just don't know how to make it look elegant...

You would think there would have to be a way to suspend a projector screen in the air via other means besides mounting on the wall or ceiling.

I have OCD and so I really don't want to make any holes in the house if I can help it. I know it sounds crazy to most people I suppose. frown.gif

The last time I made mounting holes for something was to install some blinds in a room and I cracked the wooden window frames because I used a screwdriver instead of a drill.

Last time I used a drill, the holes were off and the doorbell I installed almost hung a little crooked.

Why not hire someone to hang the screen.. Sitting it on a couple of book selves does not sound very safe. I hung a 120 manual pull down by myself (wife helped ever so slightly) and that thing is very heavy (almost 60lbs) add a motor and I bet it is close to 80lbs..

Doug

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 11 Old 04-03-2013, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, it is heavy indeed, but even at 80 pounds that's about 40 pounds per side and I've seen speaker stands hold more weight than that amount. I've actually looked at tall speaker stands as a potential to use but haven't found any that are 7 to 7.5 feet tall.

I can't hire out because if I decide to move the screen to a different wall, I'll still be left with a damaged wall or ceiling. That's one of the reason's I don't want any holes. I want to be able to change the design many times over the next decade, possibly even experiment with different screens (models and makes, sizes, etc., different room layouts).

Da-Lite and some other companies almost make what I am looking for, cept I think they are for screens smaller than 120 and they are butt ugly with the tri-pods on each end.

If someone made the same exact product with some very nice looking heavy tiny small bases on each side, that would be optimal. These tri-pods just look bad to me.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Background+Stand+System

Or I could almost use these squat stands. They hold up to 250 pounds, but they are a little short at only 56" height. I need about 85" inches or so.

http://www.gtechfitness.com/valor-bd-3-squat-stands.aspx

I'm probably the only person on the planet that is so paranoid about making holes in a house so I don't expect a product like this to be on the market. Most likely will be a DIY project. Taking something that isn't designed for this purpose and making it look nice somehow.

In a way though, I almost am surprised that a product like this doesn't exist because many people that live in apartments can't put holes in walls or ceilings either.

Although, then again, most apartments don't allow very loud sound to go with a nice large projector so I guess many ht enthusiasts don't live in apartments.

If there are any, how do you get around those rules, what mounting solutions have you tried for your screens?

I keep thinking there must be some elegant way to do this. I don't want it to look like hell.

update: This person appears to have made what I am looking for at about $160 or so. And I now have a new name for what I need. It is called a Free Standing Projector Stand Made of Goodness and Excellence. Should be like this one but less crude, more on the elegant side. Did I mention it should be elegant? But alas, this is getting very close.

http://www.mactalk.com.au/8/92496-how-make-free-standing-projector-stand-around-160-a.html

It's a little crude however. There must be a more elegant solution.

Denon AVR-2313CI
Klipsch RW-12D on Gramma
post #6 of 11 Old 04-06-2013, 12:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 62
I am sure that these portable stands for projector screens do exist. I've seen them many times during Audio Video shows. The shows are held in hotels or convention centers, which prohibit exhibitors from nailing or drilling anything on their facilities.
post #7 of 11 Old 05-30-2013, 09:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylinestar View Post

I am sure that these portable stands for projector screens do exist. I've seen them many times during Audio Video shows. The shows are held in hotels or convention centers, which prohibit exhibitors from nailing or drilling anything on their facilities.

I've seen many portable projector screen stands, but most of them are of the large tripod on both side type, or a single tripod right in the middle, unfortunately. I don't know why there isn't an elegant solution for this. I would think there would be a market for something like this. odd.

Denon AVR-2313CI
Klipsch RW-12D on Gramma
post #8 of 11 Old 05-31-2013, 10:04 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Take the pictures you have , and any images of "pillars" you like and go to custom cabinet or woodworking shops in your area or a metal fabrication shop . Bring a copy of the installation instructions for your screen for them . Depending on the medium you want your support to be made of you should be able to find a shop that can build what you want . Keep in mind that "elegant" is subjective so you'll have to decide what look you're after prior to discussing with them . No one is going to build something you'll be happy with if the only design criteria is " make it 8' tall and elegant" . Be ready to pay the price for custom fabrication .
If your walls are drywall and paint without any weird finishes , those holes would take all of 15 seconds to fill with mud , let it dry for a few hours , 10 seconds for the second coat let it set , gentle wipe with a wet drywall sponge then dab some paint to feather in to the rest of the paint . It's a far easier (and elegant) solution than having something custom built , but if you can't stand the thought , then you can't stand the thought. Good luck on your quest

“Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”---Mark Twain
post #9 of 11 Old 06-05-2013, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleLarry View Post

I've seen many portable projector screen stands, but most of them are of the large tripod on both side type, or a single tripod right in the middle, unfortunately. I don't know why there isn't an elegant solution for this. I would think there would be a market for something like this. odd.

My guess is there is, just that market is prohibitively small (e.g. not enough revenue and margin) for any business to be as part of their business plan.

I must be guilty because people say I am guilty because they chose to call me guilty because they refuse to see the truth. Much easier to be part of the mob..
post #10 of 11 Old 06-11-2013, 08:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by acras13 View Post

Take the pictures you have , and any images of "pillars" you like and go to custom cabinet or woodworking shops in your area or a metal fabrication shop . Bring a copy of the installation instructions for your screen for them . Depending on the medium you want your support to be made of you should be able to find a shop that can build what you want . Keep in mind that "elegant" is subjective so you'll have to decide what look you're after prior to discussing with them . No one is going to build something you'll be happy with if the only design criteria is " make it 8' tall and elegant" . Be ready to pay the price for custom fabrication .
If your walls are drywall and paint without any weird finishes , those holes would take all of 15 seconds to fill with mud , let it dry for a few hours , 10 seconds for the second coat let it set , gentle wipe with a wet drywall sponge then dab some paint to feather in to the rest of the paint . It's a far easier (and elegant) solution than having something custom built , but if you can't stand the thought , then you can't stand the thought. Good luck on your quest

Yeah, unfortunately, I have OCD and I change things around very often. I would have a million holes being constantly patched up, and I also have a paint phobia. I've never been able to paint anything for some reason. I'm not very good in the physical world. I can mow the lawn, that's about it. I hung some window blinds once, cracked the wooden frame on the window because I used a screwdriver instead of a drill. Used a drill to hang a new doorbell, got the holes drilled so one was higher than the other. I'm hopeless with stuff like that....Moving speakers around to get just the right placement, and moving furniture around and re-arranging things over, and over, and over again...Yep, I'm good with that kind of thing. Anything permanent involving paint, walls, moldings, tiles, etc., I can't do it.

Takes me literally 5 or 6 hours to get the placement for a nail just right on a virgin wall to hang up a picture frame. Whenever possible, I always, always, always try to use the previous homeowners pre-existing nail holes and hope they had their photos centered in all the right ways. I know, it's a weird thing. Not sure why I am this way.

The prices for custom pillars, I would imagine would be over my price range bordering on the insane. I know, it sucks being the opposite of normal. frown.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trepidati0n View Post

My guess is there is, just that market is prohibitively small (e.g. not enough revenue and margin) for any business to be as part of their business plan.

This seems to be the case. It's almost like how Dayton Audio seems to be the only game in town for speaker spikes and cones. Not too many other companies out there to compete in that market.

I may just have to make a projector screen stand with Lego's or something. I just know that, if I had a 3D printer, I could design just the perfect stand, but I'm thinking it might be another year or two before I get one. Plus, those plastic refills are expensive.

I wonder how many Lego's I would need...

If I get around to it, think I'll post some pictures of what my ht room looks like so far. It might help with any design ideas. I would think ht people living in apartments or condos would have a need for something like I am envisioning. Think something like, a projector screen stand by Bello.

See, if I could somehow stretch these Bello speaker stands to be 8 to 8.5 feet tall, I think I would have what I am looking for. Then I would simply mount each side of the projector screen to the stands. smile.gif

Denon AVR-2313CI
Klipsch RW-12D on Gramma
post #11 of 11 Old 08-22-2013, 09:21 PM

How about resting the projector screen on the ground, and pulling it up towards the ceiling and securing the screen from a single pole?
That way, there is nothing visually cumbersome at eye-level when you are not using it, since it is down on the ground.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page