Semi-soundproofing question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 04-05-2013, 08:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

Looking to reduce the noise pollution from the basement to the first floor (hardwood). My media/game room is located in the basement and getting an update. At this time the drop ceiling panels in the basement are removed and curious if now would be a good time to install some type of sound proofing material. I am looking for a relatively simple solution and immediately thought of egg-crate foam to staple to the ceiling. I am only looking to deaden the sound, not soundproof the entire room. So...

Is egg-foam acceptable for my needs? Is 'some' insulation better than 'none' (or is it an all-or-nothing solution)? Any good online retailer recommendations? Are there better options?

Thanks in advance for any assistance. If this should be posted in a different sub-forum let me know and I can repost.

ZB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2013, 11:37 AM

Liked: 17
ZB, ceiling/floor transmission is something that's pretty difficult to address without construction, simply due to the way a room is built and the flanking of sound and noise. Soundproofing is essentially an all-or-nothing, full-room construction project.

With that said, eggcrate foam could diminish a very slight amount of sound just by existing as more mass than was originally there, but isn't going to give you the results you're after for your dollar or for this kind of task. Again, without construction, to even approach the deadening you're after, a denser material like closed-cell foam sheeting such as neoprene (eggcrate is open-cell, just as an FYI) would be needed, or a few inches of fiberglass batting insulation.

EDIT: Sorry, to address your "some better than none" question directly, more mass will help to a degree, but there isn't a concrete correlation where if you add X, you'll get Y. In absolute terms more mass helps, but with so many other things in play like the building's construction, material costs, effort to add materials, your own personal idea of how much "noise reduction" is acceptable, etc., it always ends up being a case-by-case situation where you have to decide if what goes into adding something is worth the result.
Old 04-05-2013, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Thanks Carlo...some good input there...I appreciate it.

I'll look into some of the alternatives you suggested (and compare prices)...

Any other thoughts are appreciated.

ZB
Old 04-06-2013, 05:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I would respectfully suggest avoiding any foam. Consider adding damped mass to the underside of the floor, then decoupling the ceiling from the joists.

Ted

The Soundproofing Company