Is it feasible to turn an "open" room into a theater? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 04-05-2013, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi!

We are looking at new construction houses and the one we like the most has no good options for a dedicated theater. The one room where this may work is on the top floor and is labeled "Retreat" in the floor-plan below (it measures 20x12). Ideally, I'd like to mount a projector to the ceiling and a motorized, retractable screen on the 12' wall on the right. I am pretty sure there is also one or two windows on that wall. There is also a window on the second floor above the stairs on the left side of the room. Ideally, I would like to add motorized black-out shades to all of these windows. The rest of the light from upstairs can be blocked by closing the doors.

Obvious problems are ambient light and complete lack of soundproofing. Anything else I'm missing?

We haven't committed to this house 100%, but it is definitely the front-runner. I have absolutely no idea of choice of projector or screen size, but I am just looking for some opinions on whether or not this is even an idea worth exploring. Thanks!

Alan

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-06-2013, 07:28 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I see a "mech" room with what looks like HVAC equipment right up against a shared wall with the theater space. My old place had a shared wall between the theater and the furnace, and the burner/blower noise definitely intruded into the room. If there are any air returns in that space they may be extra loud simply because they're close to the fan.

The biggest general concern is making sure whoever you're sharing the place with is going to be using the theater at the same time you are. For example if someone is in the master bedroom trying to read while you're out there watching a movie, it could get ugly -- especially if there is HVAC noise in that space that requires you to keep the volume turned up in order to hear the dialogue clearly.
post #3 of 9 Old 04-09-2013, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter

Hi dododge,

Thanks for your reply! The furnace is next to that room, but it's not too noisy. We went back to see the model last week, and I think I am going to give up on this idea. There are just too many obstacles. I remember there being just a single window in the room, but it's actually two windows on each side of the wall where I was going to put the screen, essentially forcing me to put the speakers right in front of the windows. Also, the couch or chairs would have to face that wall, effectively placing them in the middle of the room.

Alan
post #4 of 9 Old 04-10-2013, 05:58 PM

My theater in my sig is pretty much an open room, with two egress windows on the other end. It isn't really a dedicated build, but a theater themed area at on end of the family room. Not sure if that is exactly what you are talking about, but it might be worth a look for you.
post #5 of 9 Old 08-02-2013, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter

Hi All,

I've changed my mind and it's back on!!!! The framing went up six weeks ago and they started to the drywall house last week. For this room we pre-wired for:

-One electrical outlet about 5 feet up the wall in between the windows for a 55" tv
-One electrical outlet and a "future-proof" tubing run from the wall to about 15' back on the ceiling for a projector
-7.1 surround in-ceiling speakers for the sides and rear.

The wall with two windows will feature a 55" LCD TV for most viewing and have a 100" tab-tensioned, motorized screen above which will lower down in front of it for movies. I just picked up an Epson 8350 on Amazon last night for $991! I've been watching the price on them for about a month now and yesterday they switched from being fulfilled by Visual Apex to Amazon and they had 10 of them for $991. I was lucky enough to scoop one of them up and they are back to $1,299 this morning. We are also going to order black-out cellular shades for the window.

I will post before, during and after pictures. This will all probably be coming together in October. smile.gif

Alan
post #6 of 9 Old 08-02-2013, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter

Hi gtessau,

Looks great! Pretty much the same thing I'm doing - a three-sided theater room! I like the black ceiling. Unfortunately, ours will be staying white frown.gif

Alan
post #7 of 9 Old 08-02-2013, 01:45 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 25
You might want to double-check your throw distance for a 100" screen and the Epson 8350.

If you have your outlet and HDMI cable run 15' back that is most likely too far. In fact....

Using the calculator, 15' would work, but something like 12' would give you a brighter picture, which could be very useful in a room with 2 windows.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Epson-PowerLite_Home_Cinema_8350-projection-calculator-pro.htm?add=5910
post #8 of 9 Old 08-02-2013, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter

Hi djkest,

Thanks for the advice! I was a little concerned about that myself and even brought it up to the installers before the drywall went up, but they talked me into keeping it there. I was originally going to go with the BenQ W1070, but saw that there was no way that was going to work with the outlet that far back. If anything, the projector will be mounted slightly ahead of the outlet and I know that the motorized screen will probably sit a good 6-8 inches off the wall as it's going to have to clear the TV, so I think we're looking at less than 14' throw distance. We are going to build a special valance to hide the screen and bring it out from the wall. I was initially going to do a ceiling-recessed screen, but the ceiling joists in front of the windows run perpendicular to the wall...

Alan
post #9 of 9 Old 08-08-2013, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

Some pictures of the construction. Drywall went up last week, painting is this week. Getting very excited about this project!

Cable, Ethernet and surround sound speaker runs all terminate at the floor between the two windows:

Electrical outlet and trim-out box for HDMI/Cat 5 cables on the ceiling. The outlet boxes were installed dead center, so the projector will have to be mounted off-center. Oh, well, the return air duct should keep the projector nice and cool! wink.gif

View from right wall:

View from left wall. Both windows will be outfitted with blackout shades:
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page