Best budget system for 350 or under - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 04-09-2013, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looking for some audio help.. I'm not a real big on audio techie but i'm trying to set up a system for about 350 bucks.. Just wondering if anyone has any good ideas. I listen to alot of music and I prefer something that can handle music as well as home theater. I know there are a few budget HTIB combos from Yamaha and Onkyo for under 300 but from everything I hear they are decent, but lack when listening to music. Any ideas would be helpful.. thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-09-2013, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 341
You would be better off in the long run to start with an A/V Receiver (AVR) and a pair of decent L/R speakers. Then add a center channel, subwoofer and surround speakers over time as budget allows. The problem with HTiB systems is that they are not expandable, use proprietary connections and generally have crappy speakers. There are exceptions, and the "bundles" which include a normal AVR plus speakers can be a decent deal (but those are above your budget).

Picking up a used AVR or finding a good Internet "deal" one for around $100-150 would be a good start, and give you a few hundred to get a good pair of speakers. I bought a good entry-level Denon AVR a few months ago for $129, for example.

Good luck, hope that helps,

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #3 of 5 Old 04-09-2013, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice.. I have been looking for awhile now.. i have also found a DENON DHT-1513BA its paired with the boston acoustic speakers for 279.. its a refurbished item and also an onkyo 7409 that comes with a good receiver at 349 but low grade speakers.. in this situation you think i should go with the low value denon receiver paired with the pretty decent boston acoustic speakers?
post #4 of 5 Old 04-09-2013, 02:36 PM

I've had luck at the HarmanAudio store on ebay. You can pick up some deals there if you are patient and know what you are looking for. I got a refurbished yet perfect condition Infinity TSS-800 5.1 system for my bedroom there a couple years ago for way less than retail. I agree with jautor though that any HTIB system is a compromise. Although if you want something for $350 you will have to make a lot of compromises.

If you do go the route of piecing a system together over time I'd suggest skimping on the AVR and putting most of your money into speakers. You could get a pair of good bookshelf speakers now and then use them as surrounds once you have more money to pick up some mains and a center for a 5.1 system. I'm personally a big fan of the JBL Studio L series others here like Klipsch horns. You can get a pair of JBL L820s on Amazon within your budget which are really nice sounding wall mountable speakers.

Good luck!

post #5 of 5 Old 04-09-2013, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Bestbuy local stores are selling the klipsch quintet speakers without receiver for as low as $250. Pair that with the best, cheapest Sony AVR you can find there are many for $199

"Damn, you can't get black levels like that on your projector!"
- My brother, just before he realized his LED display had died.

Link to my Basement build
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1529034/conspiracy-basement-build
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page