Help for a sliding fold-up/down TV mount - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 04-10-2013, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
We're building a large wardrobe. Because space is at a premium, we want to install our tv so it can be flipped up or folded flat, then slide into a thin shelf. The TV will be a 37" or smaller set, lightweight. I can envision how to slide it horizontally out of the shelf area so it can be flipped up or down to a vertical position, but that last step is where I'm struggling a bit. In concept, it would be similar to a server room shelf that slides out with the laptop on it, the the laptop monitor flips up for viewing. Any suggestions or ideas?

I've already considered alternative mounting styles, but we have no room in the floor, vaulted ceilings, and funny angles that prevent it from moving left or right horizontally, plus, we want to keep our vertical space for storage.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 04-11-2013, 03:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 76
This is pretty small.

http://www.makariosrv.com/mor-ryde-slide-out-and-flip-down-tv-mount-tv40-010h/

Maybe you can use a flip down ceiling mount, in a drawer, near the top of the wardrobe.

I'd have a lot of concerns about the wardrobe falling over, or not built strong enough, despite the relatively small 37" TV size.

Have you considered a mirror TV? Looks like a mirror when off.

Maybe you could have a new dresser made too, with a TV lift.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #3 of 13 Old 04-11-2013, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestion. We're building the wardrobe and it will be mounted directly to the wall as a permanent installation, so no worries with it tipping over. If it tips over, our house will also be falling down and the tv will be the least of our worries (earthquake country). The ceiling mount idea is interesting, though wouldn't there be large pieces of the installation sticking into the room once the tv is down?

I just learned about mirror TV's yesterday. I'm not really sure how they work. It's possible that we could make a really wide door and mount the tv inside of it so it blends in and we can still access behind it. If that was a mirror, it would be pretty neat.
post #4 of 13 Old 04-11-2013, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Just to be clear, not everything attached to a wall is sturdy, and permanent. Make sure it's lagged to studs and not just attached to drywall.

I've seen some really nice Seura mirror TVs.

http://www.seura.com/product/premier/

Hiding the TV with retractable artwork may be another consideration; pic retracts into frame. Lots of art to choose from.

http://www.visionartgalleries.com/index.php?p=trio

Have you considered storing the TV vertically, but perpendicular to the front of the wardrobe? It could pull/slide out and rotate, if the wardrobe is deep enough.

Have you thought about putting the TV into the foot of a custom bed?

Don't forget the AVR, and speakers. Find a good spot for the subwoofer. wink.gif

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #5 of 13 Old 04-11-2013, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the links. Very helpful. We're not new to home improvement and have tackled some pretty major jobs, so no worries about the install and stability. It's the least of my worries.

I had thought about it rotating sideways and wish we could do that, but the TV will be around 30" deep and our wardrobe around 24" deep. The mirror tv looks neat. I'll look more into that. Could be nice to have dual function, though I have my heart set on a smart tv.

I've seen the picture frame concept and I'm not too interested in that. And the under the bed option is extremely cost prohibitive. We've thought about the lift, but then you lose vertical space again, which is what we're trying to gain.

It would still be ideal to devise some sort of system where we can fold it flat and slide it into the unit horizontally. It seems like if we use drawer slides and attach some sort of hinge system to fold it down, that would do it. I know we can buy the tv mount plates separate, so I just need to get from the drawer slides to the mount plate with a hinge.
post #6 of 13 Old 04-11-2013, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Give Seura a call. Find out which Samsungs they can use. Maybe they offer 'smart' ones.

An experienced electronic systems integrator in your area will know how to get the mount you want fabricated, if you can't figure it out.

Some of the mount manufacturers do custom mounts. Give Chief a call.

post #7 of 13 Old 04-11-2013, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Fold/flip down ceiling TV, mounted into a drawer, was my initial thought, but it will be very top-heavy.

banner_FLP-310.jpg

post #8 of 13 Old 04-11-2013, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the input. I was thinking we may end up custom. Who is Chief?
post #9 of 13 Old 04-12-2013, 03:52 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 28
http://www.chiefmfg.com/About
Milestone AV, out of Minnesota, Corporate parent Sanus, Da Lite, Raxxess and Chief Manufacturing.
Not the cheapest TV mounts on the market but very high quality and a lot of different applications.

underachiever extraordinaire
post #10 of 13 Old 04-12-2013, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info!
post #11 of 13 Old 04-13-2013, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

If you're familiar with laptops in a rack, then you may be familiar with articulating cable management arms to keep the cords from getting damaged and kinked, with the sliding drawer concept. Though, might be cheaper to just replace the cords every few years. Plus, you may not have the space for it.

If you're not very OCD, you could probably skip it.

If you have a custom mount manufactured, talk to them about adding some cable management.

post #12 of 13 Old 04-13-2013, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

If it's a tray-type vaulted ceiling, with attic above, you could probably get a motorized drop-down mount. Look at Activated Designs (Southern California); I haven't used them, but I've read good things.

http://www.activateddesigns.com/general/contact-us.html

Activated Designs could also motorize your sliding drawer mount - or maybe even design a non-motorized sliding mount. Their flip down ceiling mount, I've read, is 7" deep; I could definitely see that in a drawer.

Inca and Auton are other motorized mount manufacturers to consider, for drop down, fold down, or drawer-mounted motorized lifts, but AD might be easier and cheaper.

http://www.inca-tvlifts.com/

http://www.auton.com/products/ceiling-lifts

post #13 of 13 Old 04-22-2013, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trina Werkema View Post

We're building a large wardrobe. Because space is at a premium, we want to install our tv so it can be flipped up or folded flat, then slide into a thin shelf. The TV will be a 37" or smaller set, lightweight.

Sounds like you want to do something like a barrister bookcase door, with a TV instead of a door. You'll need heavy duty hardware to support the weight of a TV, but if you search for 'flipper door' or 'barrister bookcase slider door' you may be able to find something you can use.

Chris

"It hurts to admit when you make mistakes - but when they are big enough, the pain only lasts a second."
--Despair, Inc. "Regret"

My AviaTrix TM Build
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page