The Second Hand Theater build. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 04-11-2013, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I tried to post my build a few years back. Building a new home, having a few kids, and various other projects I have finally gotten around to work on my basement and my home theater. I'm still not done yet but I have gotten a lot done over the last year and I thought I would post what I have done so far. I hope to add more as time allows.
The wife was cool with me doing a home theater as long as I finished the rest of the basement. We have had to watch our finances the last few years as most people have so I have been trying to be frugal with my purchases towards the theater build and parts.
So here are a few shots of the basement before we got started.

Here is a snippet of the building diagram from my contractor. I placed a few things as place holders for the room for spacing.
Here

forum post by drewmantrivia, on Flickr[/URL]

DSC_0009 by drewmantrivia, on Flickr

DSC_0008 by drewmantrivia, on Flickr

DSC_0010 by drewmantrivia, on Flickr
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-11-2013, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter

When our house was being built the contractor was willing to work with me on cutting in wall box locations on the first floor. I wanted to have the option of surround sound in the upstairs living room.

theater upstairs by drewmantrivia, on Flickr

I put in 2" PVC pipes to the double gang boxes on the first floor. I joined them to the black tubing on the right and ran them back to the head end in the laundry room. I used 2" Sump line tubing from Menards. I used the non-slotted so that none of my fish lines get hung up doing runs. The pipe ended up being about $13 for 50ft runs of it.

DSC_0005 by drewmantrivia, on Flickr

DSC_0027 by drewmantrivia, on Flickr

The head end i used some old Rack rails scrounged up from a old TV studio that was tossing them out. I had a rack tub to put on the bottom and the patch pannel to space it out on top. At this point I didn't really have the network or cabling or the funds to buy them so most of the cable paths are just placeholders for now.

DSC_0025 by drewmantrivia, on Flickr

DSC_0026 by drewmantrivia, on Flickr
post #3 of 6 Old 04-11-2013, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter

In the nature of being low on funds (i.e. broke) I kept a eye out for projectors that would be good fit for what I could afford. I ended finding a sony 1521q crt projector for cheap at a local auction. It had really low hours and would get me 720p with only a few tweaks. I threw up a quick screen to see what I could get out of it. Unfortunately the size of the room and the brightness of the projector were not all that great for my needs. So I would keep a eye out from here to see if I can find anything different.

DSC_0021 by drewmantrivia, on Flickr

DSC_0022 by drewmantrivia, on Flickr

DSC_0023 by drewmantrivia, on Flickr
post #4 of 6 Old 04-11-2013, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter

In my last post I had a a picture of the rack I built. I wanted to have a rack to mount all my gear into for 2 reasons. One being I like the layout of a rack system and two being I wanted to have a in wall system as the room for the theater is not that large. Placing it in wall would offer more space for the seating and keep the room cleaner. To do so I had to cut out and remove some of the plumbing for the washer and dryer. The power also had to go and be placed out the way.

DSC_0010 by drewmantrivia, on Flickr

DSC_0024 by drewmantrivia, on Flickr

DSC_0069 by drewmantrivia, on Flickr
To place the rack in wall I had to make sure that it could be moved as getting the washer and dryer out would be a issue in the future without having to remove everything from a built in rack.
post #5 of 6 Old 04-11-2013, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter

I looked around and liked the idea of having a soffet for the room to help keep some light while viewing a movie but not as much as just dimming normal lights in the room. I came up with this drawing to gage if it would work for my needs. I had some scrap wood from a neighbor that was cleaning out his garage so that helped me figure out what I had to work with.

soffet for light by drewmantrivia, on Flickr
Most of it was to help me visualize and come up with a order of assemblage for the sheet rock to go on right.

DSC_0066 by drewmantrivia, on Flickr

DSC_0068 by drewmantrivia, on Flickr

DSC_0067 by drewmantrivia, on Flickr

I framed out the screen wall after I got the bottom plate of the soffet in place. I drew out a 8ft screen marker on the lower plastic to figure out where I would need to put in the speaker boxes when I had a chance. I know a eight foot screen is a bit much for the space but I had my hopes for the time on finding a projector that could do it.

basement stairs by drewmantrivia, on Flickr

front left by drewmantrivia, on Flickr
post #6 of 6 Old 04-11-2013, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter

So at this point I was hoping to have something like these images to be the turn out in the end. I was trying to come up with a way to get a electric screen in the ceiling or in the soffet at this point. I talked to a electrician friend of mine and he couldn't see making the cheap electric screens work in ceiling. I couldn't find one that fit what i wanted to do for the price and not being able to have it be hidden in the ceiling was a bit of a deal breaker for me. Not much I could do at the time.

home%20side%202 by drewmantrivia, on Flickr

home%20side%201 by drewmantrivia, on Flickr

hometopdown by drewmantrivia, on Flickr

home%20side%203 by drewmantrivia, on Flickr
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page