Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 04-17-2013, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Mike,
I have a LG LV 5500.
I am in the process of purchasing/setting up a new home entertainment system.

Our floor plan is EXTREMELY open with almost no wall space (LOTS of windows). I will be mounting the speakers in the ceiling. I am still trying to figure out where the sub will go. There is one place on the wall to the left of the couch that could hold an In-Wall sub.

My TV has 4 HDMI inputs but no HDMI outputs. The only Audio out is the Optical Digital Out Port.

Is it possible to connect all of my devices (Cable, DVD, etc..) to the HDMI IN ports and then send all of the audio out the optical port to the AV Receiver and still have 5.1.

I have read where people access the Service Menu on the TV to do this.

I also have not purchased a receiver yet. I was waiting to see what my options are.

Thanks,
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 04-17-2013, 09:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Yes Mike, that would work, and some place in menu there is a set point for digital audio out to set PCM or Dolby. I don't know way you would want to if you have yet to buy the AVR. They have HDMI inputs and some from Onkyo have 2 outputs for a panel and some other display device. Try looking at accessories4less.com for info on Onkyo, Denon and Marantz, and monoprice.com for cables
post #3 of 14 Old 04-17-2013, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 326
Unfortunately, most TVs forward only stereo audio for devices connected to them and provide multi-channel audio only for TV stations received directly by the internal tuner. The 5500's manual doesn't say anything about this. It's usually best to connect all of your audio and video devices to a receiver and run an HDMI cable from the receiver to the TV for the video.

Selden
post #4 of 14 Old 04-17-2013, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post

It's usually best to connect all of your audio and video devices to a receiver and run an HDMI cable from the receiver to the TV for the video.

This is my first attempt to correctly wire a home theater system and I want to do it correctly the first time smile.gif
If it is best practice to send the audio from each device to the AVR on one set of cables and the video on another set to the TV, that is what I will plan for.

I will be running structured wiring, whole home audio, etc.. So I want to plan out everything on paper first. The only place for the TV is above the fireplace so I need to locate all the Video/Audio devices in another room.

I assume most cable boxes have the correct audio out ports and separate video out to accomplish this?

Does anyone know where I can find a diagram on this type of setup for reference?

Thanks,
Mike
post #5 of 14 Old 04-17-2013, 10:37 AM
Advanced Member

No, Mike the HDMI cable has both video and audio. If thats what you want to do you need to run one HDMI cable from the equipment room to the panel and use short HDMI cables from your cable/satellite receiver and blu ray player to the AVR. If you have some older equipment that does not have HDMI most AVR's have inputs, RCA type audio & video for them. The other thing you need is an inferred repeater to the remote control, and there is info on this forum about them. Go to Monoprice and Blue Jeans cable, they have a lot of info so you can get educated on the systems you are planing.
post #6 of 14 Old 04-17-2013, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter

Okay, I think I got it now.

Using my DVD player as an example....

HDMI cable from DVD to AVR (this is carrying video and audio)
HDMI cable from AVR to TV (HD Video)
Speaker cable to from AVR to speakers (5.1 Audio)

I have looked at a few remote IR systems. They seem simple enough.

So when I am shopping for a AVR I need to ensure it has multiple HDMI In and HDMI out.

Mike
post #7 of 14 Old 04-17-2013, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil17108 View Post

some from Onkyo have 2 outputs for a panel and some other display device.

It seems like Onkyo has been getting terrible reviews lately.
post #8 of 14 Old 04-17-2013, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter

Also, has anyone used HDMI over CAT6.
post #9 of 14 Old 04-17-2013, 01:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abernut View Post

It seems like Onkyo has been getting terrible reviews lately.

Check out accessories4less.com for info and prices on AVR's that have been put right by a factory tech. with the production lines running as fast as they can it's hard to test every unit, or when someone gets one and then wants something ells returns it saying its bad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by abernut View Post

Also, has anyone used HDMI over CAT6.
It can be done and Monoprice has everything need.
post #10 of 14 Old 04-17-2013, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 326
My impression is that refurbished units tend to have a somewhat higher failure rate than new units. This is to be expected because the repair centers have a limited amount of time to work on them, and they often aren't told what the error symptoms were. Intermittent problems can be quite difficult to discover. You have to decide if the lower price is worth the potential hassle of returning a unit for replacement. Quite a few people decide that it is.

Selden
post #11 of 14 Old 04-17-2013, 05:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

My impression is that refurbished units tend to have a somewhat higher failure rate than new units. This is to be expected because the repair centers have a limited amount of time to work on them, and they often aren't told what the error symptoms were. Intermittent problems can be quite difficult to discover. You have to decide if the lower price is worth the potential hassle of returning a unit for replacement. Quite a few people decide that it is.

I do not have a problem with refurbished, and these come with a year warranty and in the case of Onkyo it's from them, and then when you register it with them there is the option of getting an extended warranty, 2 more years for 40 bucks as I recall.
post #12 of 14 Old 04-17-2013, 07:33 PM

The optical cable's limited bandwidth will not allow High Rez Multichannel audio.

I think its limited to 1411 KBS.

It will do Dobly Digital or standard DTS.
post #13 of 14 Old 04-17-2013, 10:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 87
Quote:

My impression is that refurbished units tend to have a somewhat higher failure rate than new units.
My experience is just the opposite. First, some reburbs are simply open box returns that never had anything wrong with them. Second, CE gear typically exhibits a bathtub failure curve, relatively high and declining failure rate at the beginning, very low rate after that for the service life, and rising as they reach the end of their service life. Refurbed gear is typically the result of an infant mortality problem. Once that problem has been repaired, the odds of a similar failure are lower than with a brand new unit.

One potential downside of refurbs is they often come with a shorter warranty than a new unit. Just plan that into what you are willing to pay. Maybe include an extended warranty if that makes sense to you. After every thing is taken into account, I am happy paying 2/3 the new price for a refurb I might be willing to pay even more for an expensive high end device.

FWIW I have bought a number of pieces of refurbed CE gear over the years and never had a problem.
post #14 of 14 Old 04-18-2013, 04:32 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for the great advice.

I think I am going to take my chances and shop at accessories4less.com. They have some great prices.

This is probably a topic for another thread but does anyone have any input on whole home audio. HTD has a great price on a 6 zone system. Nuvo has a system but it is a lot more expensive. Is this one of those "You get what you pay for"
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page