Speaker placement help needed - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 04-17-2013, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Greetings!

I am moving from San Diego to the San Francisco Bay area and purchased a home in a new development. My new Great Room is giving me challenges in the placement department. Currently I have a 19' x 14' living room that works really well. I have a wall unit entertainment center on the 19' wall and surrounds hanging on the back wall.

The new place has a bigger room, with a fireplace right in the middle of the wall where the TV is going. There doesn't really seem to be anywhere to put the center speaker or my audio components. And I think the back wall is too far back to hang the surrounds.

The pictures are NOT my house, but the model. My furniture is similar, but not what you see.

Onkyo TX-NR 5007
Oppo BD-83
AT&T U-verse
Apple TV
Wii
Aperion Intimus 6T's
Aperion Intimus 6C
Aperion Intimus 4BP's
SVS PC-13 Ultra

The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"... and I'll whisper "no."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-19-2013, 04:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 65
If I were setting up in that room, I would place the screen, LCRs on the opposite wall. Where those 3 framed units are.
Its never a good thing to have the screen above a FP. To say nothing of the screen being way too high.
And when you are viewing the screen, you are never going to have the FP lit...it would be too distracting.
So I would place two sets of seats, with some facing the FP and the rest facing the other direction for TV viewing.
Plus that wall gives you plenty of room for everything for the A/V.

That model home is so typical when it comes to placing TVs or audio. Very little to no thought on how it should really be setup.
post #3 of 8 Old 04-19-2013, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, but that is the main reason the TV is going over the FP, WAF. My current house, the FP is behind the TV viewing area and my wife hates it. I have to deal with this set up.

Here is a pic of my current set up.

The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"... and I'll whisper "no."
post #4 of 8 Old 04-22-2013, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by vipervick View Post

Do you have access from the other side of the fireplace wall? Just from looking at the above picture, you might want to consider putting the TV in the corner (between the fireplace and the windows on the right) and putting your AV equipment to the left of the fireplace. Not ideal from speaker placement I know, and you would need new AV furniture, but it looks like you'll need new AV furniture anyway.

A floor plan would make giving advise easier.

Chris

"It hurts to admit when you make mistakes - but when they are big enough, the pain only lasts a second."
--Despair, Inc. "Regret"

My AviaTrix TM Build
post #5 of 8 Old 04-22-2013, 10:09 PM - Thread Starter

Working with what i have... The center will have to go above the TV there, R&L can go on either side, and sub will go on the side with the corner. It's the surrounds I am having the most issue.

I need symmetry and a corner placement is illogical. Not to mention WAF ugh...

post #6 of 8 Old 04-23-2013, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipervick View Post

Working with what i have... The center will have to go above the TV there, R&L can go on either side, and sub will go on the side with the corner. It's the surrounds I am having the most issue.

I need symmetry and a corner placement is illogical. Not to mention WAF ugh...
Well, looking at the model picture of the screen over the mantle, I would say there might be enough space for a low profile center speaker.
With all that glass I can see the problem with the surrounds. Other than placing bookshelf speakers on stands.
And what corner placement are you referring to?
post #7 of 8 Old 04-24-2013, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Do you have access from the other side of the fireplace wall? Just from looking at the above picture, you might want to consider putting the TV in the corner (between the fireplace and the windows on the right) and putting your AV equipment to the left of the fireplace. Not ideal from speaker placement I know, and you would need new AV furniture, but it looks like you'll need new AV furniture anyway.

A floor plan would make giving advise easier.

This corner placement suggestion...

post #8 of 8 Old 04-27-2013, 04:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Setting up an audio system on the diagonals of a room works very well. As far as removing the early reflections as the walls are @ 45* to the main speakers (not in-walls/on-walls, obviously).

You say your wife does not like your current setup, with the FP the opposite wall...have you given any thought of placing the soundstage @ 90* to the FP? You would be sitting with your backs to the kitchen.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page