Whole Home Audio HTD vs NuVu - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 04-18-2013, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am planning a Whole Home Audio solution.
I would like at least 6 zones, LCD wall panels, remotes for each panel, and various inputs.

HTD has a great price on a 6 zone system. Nuvo has a system but it is a lot more expensive.
Is this one of those "You get what you pay for"

Thanks
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-18-2013, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by abernut View Post

I am planning a Whole Home Audio solution.
I would like at least 6 zones, LCD wall panels, remotes for each panel, and various inputs.

HTD has a great price on a 6 zone system. Nuvo has a system but it is a lot more expensive.
Is this one of those "You get what you pay for"

Thanks
Mike

Yes. See the Home A/V Distribution forum for more threads on the Whole House audio topics...

The big functionality difference between them is that the HTD keypads will show basic source/volume info, while the NuVo keypads, when used with their music server or tuner(s), is the display of metadata (artist/track), and the ability to navigate/select content from the keypads. Those systems will also have mobile device apps with fully integrated navigation/control/metadata as well. The HTD app will, again, have basic source selection and volume control.

There is a big jump in price between the two. And while you should consider the NuVo server (MPS4 or MPS4E) as a mandatory part of the system, you'll need source(s) for any system. And how you'll control those sources from other rooms should be the biggest question you should answer.

Done correctly, you'll use these systems every day, so take that into consideration when you debate the budget with yourself. smile.gif

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #3 of 10 Old 04-18-2013, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter

It looks like HTD offers the HTDNET-LYNC for wireless devices (smart phones, tablets, etc...)

metadata...My stomach just turned smile.gif I would need to go through and give my music library a good scrubbing. Over the years of people giving me songs, downloading, ripping etc... I am sure it is pretty messy.

Does the Nuvo system have the intercom function. We are building a two story house and I can foresee the need to scream at my daughter in the near future.. "Emma get your @$$ down here and eat" smile.gif
post #4 of 10 Old 04-18-2013, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It looks like HTD offers the HTDNET-LYNC for wireless devices (smart phones, tablets, etc...)

Yes, but as I said the app will be limited to simple source selection and volume control. If you attach a nice source like a Sonos:Connect, you'll have to change apps to drive the library, switch back to alter volume, etc.
Quote:
metadata...My stomach just turned smile.gif I would need to go through and give my music library a good scrubbing. Over the years of people giving me songs, downloading, ripping etc... I am sure it is pretty messy.

And this is why you can't have nice things. tongue.gif
Quote:
Does the Nuvo system have the intercom function. We are building a two story house and I can foresee the need to scream at my daughter in the near future.. "Emma get your @$$ down here and eat" smile.gif

There is a simple doorbell / paging capability, but not a full intercom. Having grown up in a house with such a system, I have a strong disdain for them for exactly the use case you mention. It becomes a crutch and very, very annoying, IMO...

But if you want to go there, I'd look at a small phone system / expandable cordless phone setup, as many of them have that function. I'd hate to decide on the audio system based on intercom functions, regardless.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 

post #5 of 10 Old 04-19-2013, 04:04 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all of your help on this.
I read the user/installation manual last night. One thing I liked about the HTD system was that there was a USB port for an external hard drive. A lot of my music collection is in MP3 Format on a external HDD.

How would I access this music. Does it offer any type of support for services like Pandora?

Thanks,
MIke
post #6 of 10 Old 04-19-2013, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for all of your help on this.
I read the user/installation manual last night. One thing I liked about the HTD system was that there was a USB port for an external hard drive. A lot of my music collection is in MP3 Format on a external HDD.

How would I access this music.

Through the keypads, but maintaining that collection is a pain, since you'll have to move the drive back to a PC to make any additions or changes to the collection.
Quote:
Does it offer any type of support for services like Pandora?

No, and that's the other big difference - the NuVo server has Pandora, XM, and Internet radio support. Now, you can hook up any device (like a Sonos) that provides Pandora / Internet services to the HTD. But, and I should have mentioned this earlier - the metadata for all of these services shows up on the NuVo keypads, too. But it won't on the HTD. Which is huge - that's how you find new music you like! I've frequently been listening to a Pandora station, like a song, go over to the keypad, and use the "bookmark on Pandora" feature to save off the song info. Or just note the title and go to Amazon and order it. biggrin.gif

post #7 of 10 Old 04-19-2013, 07:18 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks,
I think I am sold on the "NuVo Technologies Grand Concerto 6-Source 8-Zone System". There are a few "New In Box" on ebay right
I can foresee the pain of not having the titles on the zone displays.

Will I have to purchase the MPS4-E to use Pandora?

From what I have read it seems like the MPS4-E is a central hub that can access all of your music on your network (Windows PC, Apple Devices, etc..) I also read where it has a built in 640GB HDD. Is this to store music locally?

Ahhhh Crap.
I just found Control4.com
post #8 of 10 Old 04-19-2013, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks,
I think I am sold on the "NuVo Technologies Grand Concerto 6-Source 8-Zone System". There are a few "New In Box" on ebay right
I can foresee the pain of not having the titles on the zone displays.

Will I have to purchase the MPS4-E to use Pandora?

Yes. (or the MPS4, which doesn't support NAS-based libraries - that's the big feature difference)

Note that buying these systems off of eBay will not get you any warranty and difficulty with customer support. You'll also want the PC-based software to fully configure the system - which does not come in the box. Make sure the seller provides that.
Quote:
From what I have read it seems like the MPS4-E is a central hub that can access all of your music on your network (Windows PC, Apple Devices, etc..) I also read where it has a built in 640GB HDD. Is this to store music locally?

Yes. The cheaper MPS4 (non-Elite) has a smaller internal drive, and won't use remote storage. But with both servers, you can copy/sync a library to the internal drive. Since this library is for whole house audio anyway, I'd suggest a decent bitrate copy of your library (doesn't need to be lossless, to conserve disk space). That will provide more than enough space for most folks. And honestly, navigating very big libraries on the keypads and apps can be cumbersome. Better to limit the library on the system to stuff that you'll actually use for whole-house music.

I've found that I rarely use my library on the WHA system. Clicking a few buttons to get my custom Pandora station, or one of the Internet Radio favorites is so easy...
Quote:
Ahhhh Crap.
I just found Control4.com

Um... Whole other can of worms. Warn you right now - Control4 will require a dealer...

Jeff

post #9 of 10 Old 04-19-2013, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Jeff,
You have been a tremendous help.

I am going to work on my wiring plans tonight.
From my various topics this is what I have concluded...

I am basically setting(wiring) up three different systems.

My Network(CAT6) and COAX will all run back to a central location, probably a Leviton enclosure

My Whole Home Audio using the Nuvo Grand Concerto 8 zone system with MPS4-E

My Entertainment room. From what I have read I almost need to leave this separate. I will have a AVR feeding the in ceiling speakers in the Entertainment room.
post #10 of 10 Old 04-19-2013, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I am basically setting(wiring) up three different systems.

My Network(CAT6) and COAX will all run back to a central location, probably a Leviton enclosure

My Whole Home Audio using the Nuvo Grand Concerto 8 zone system with MPS4-E

My Entertainment room. From what I have read I almost need to leave this separate. I will have a AVR feeding the in ceiling speakers in the Entertainment room.

Sounds familiar. And yes. smile.gif

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page