Newbie Question on Hanging Flat Screen - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 04-20-2013, 05:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
We are facing our brick faced fireplace with cultured stone and then hanging a flatscreen tv over the fireplace. My question is what do I need to take into consideration when running any wires, as far as HDMI, cable and electiric. The cable box will probably be located 20' to 25' away from the tv. I want to make sure I have everything covered and wired up right and ran before the cultuered stone goes up. We are looking at a Samsung Led smart tv. Are there any additional speakers needed with these new flatscreen tvs. This is our first real flatscreen tv and want to get it done right. We are not looking for a home theater with surround sound. Thanks for any advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-22-2013, 05:18 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
You'll have to put an outlet behind the TV if you want to follow code, you can't have the power cord in the wall. Other than that, I would just run plenty of HDMI cables as you'll never be able to easily access/run them again. I would also run a CAT6 wire just to have it.

Also, any reason for putting it over the fireplace? I know it sounds cool at first but it can be quite annoying having to look up at the TV. I would put it on another wall if possible.
post #3 of 6 Old 04-26-2013, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter

Any suggestion quality or kind of hdmi cable? I am probably looking at a 20'-30' run on the hdmi cable and I don't want to lose picture quality. Also the cable box will probably be in a closet with a closed door. Do you recommend a radio transmitter or an infrared remote sensor. Thanks for any input
post #4 of 6 Old 04-27-2013, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 90
If the run is 25' or less, just get a cable that is certified high speed. If it is longer, get a standard cable that is 22-24 AWG. I would go with a wired IR extender. RF is subject to interference and you can run farther with wired.
post #5 of 6 Old 04-27-2013, 11:31 AM

Liked: 14
I went with the redmere (60') hdmi from monoprice. Nice and flexible to run in walls. The cable tested fine before drywall. I also ran 2 cat6 and 3 rg6 to location as backups.

I'd suggest picking up a Harmony 890 with IR off ebay. Great universal remote and a very functional repeater for ~$100-$125. I didnt have luck with cheaper repeaters from monoprice.

If you dont like your tv's sound you could always add a soundbar with wireless sub later.

I personally really like a tv over the fireplace. Check my sigs for the 2 I did in the last house.
post #6 of 6 Old 04-30-2013, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. I will start doing some research on the cables u guys suggested. I also have a professional installer hanging the tv and giving us a consult to tell/suggest what we need. Thanks again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page