new construction floating fireplace speaker dilema - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 04-21-2013, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
photo.JPG 2228k .JPG file I am not a good at drawling but i had to sketch my idea. My new house will have a floating stone fireplace that you can walk all the way around. My idea for speaker placement was ceiling but worried about the front image so i decided to sketch an idea and see if anyone has any comments. Instead of installing an "in wall " speaker i though about making a recessed box with a removable grill cover so i can put in either a Formula FH6-LCR or VK6-LCR by BIC America, whichever sounds better for movies. This way if speaker goes out or i decide to change later i can shop for a bookshelf speaker setup that will slide into the "cubby" and install the wood frame/grill cover. Also below the fireplace there is the same concept for the subwoofer. There will be a AV rack on an adjacent wall where all of the wires will be running. I guess my main concern is this idea practical or possible without a very high cost. Since im not a carpenter or a mason either i was hoping all of this could be framed up and wired and they can install the store around these areas tightly so the custom covers would hide what is behind there and look like a clean install. See attached picture. Thanks for any advice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.JPG (2.18 MB, 2 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-21-2013, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 335
What's your seating distance going to be from that fireplace. In general, and from the looks of your diagram, very much so, above-fireplace installations of TVs give poor results for viewing. You'll be looking up at the screen, and after a few minutes, your neck will not like it.

Since you said "for movies" I'd highly suggest locating it somewhere else. While it's trendy and may look nice, it's not recommended...

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #3 of 5 Old 04-21-2013, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Thanks for the reply jeff. No certain distance from the tv furniture will be recliner and recliner style couch.
due to the layout of the house this is the only spot to have the TV just really concerned with the idea of the speaker cubby and covers if that would work with the stone work. Cant seem to find any pictures online wit this kind of setup
post #4 of 5 Old 04-22-2013, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiluxrunner View Post

just really concerned with the idea of the speaker cubby and covers if that would work with the stone work. Cant seem to find any pictures online wit this kind of setup

Lots of built-in entertainment centers had cabinets with fabric-insert doors for speakers. Making a cubby with the stone around it is no different.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #5 of 5 Old 04-22-2013, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
First, I would not put the sub-woofer into the fireplace - instead build a end table or another piece of furniture in the room to hide the sub-woofer (or buy one that already looks like a piece of furniture if you are not the DIY type). Low frequency sound (below 80Hz) isn't easily localized, so you don't have to have the sub-woofer in front of you for it to sound right. This way you don't need to run power and speaker wires for the sub-woofer into the fireplace and you can lower everything else down.

Second, if you are putting the speakers in a 'cubby' you will still want to get in-wall speakers. Bookshelf speakers will not have the correct BSC if they are installed in-wall like you describe. You can buy in-walls to install yourself from places like Parts Express.

As jautor indicated, this install will put the TV higher than ideal. You'll want to put some effort into getting the TV as low as possible so you can watch it comfortably while seated.

Chris

"It hurts to admit when you make mistakes - but when they are big enough, the pain only lasts a second."
--Despair, Inc. "Regret"

My AviaTrix TM Build
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page