noobie AVR question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 04-25-2013, 08:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am receiving my first AVR (Denon 1613) and I am going to be inputing my ATT Uverse receiver through the AVR, and then to the TV. My question is, will I always have to turn on my AVR to be able to watch TV? If I am still able to watch tv through my ATT receiver without turning on the AVR will the sound still come out from the TV?

I just dont want to always have to turn on the AVR to watch tv and have the sound go through my new speakers. sometimes I'd just rather watch tv and use the internal speakers of tv.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-25-2013, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 340
I believe it can - Denon calls the HDMI pass-through the "HDMI Standby Source", which means when the AVR is turned off, it selects a particular source to retain in standby / pass-through. YMMV... See page 87 of the manual.

If that doesn't work the way you want, run HDMI from your Uverse box directly to the TV, and a separate digital audio line (RCA coax or optical) to the AVR. You'll have to switch TV inputs and lower the TV volume manually in that configuration.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #3 of 5 Old 04-26-2013, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I second what jeff says (as usual). Only reason I post is that I think you will find that as soon as you hear the TV audio through the receiver, you will never want to go back to the tinny TV speakers again.

Look into controlling the TV and receiver from the UVERSE remote and setting it so that the default volume and muting is applied to the receiver.
post #4 of 5 Old 04-26-2013, 09:09 AM

Liked: 11
As stated above, the Denons have HDMI passthrough. I'm not sure about the 1613 model, but I have other Denons and the HDMI passthrough is only on certain inputs. My models are older, so that may not apply to your 1613.

What I would recommend is actually getting a universal remote like a harmony that will turn on your cable box and AVR at the same time. You only have a single remote and it will turn on (and off) everything you want with a single button.

post #5 of 5 Old 04-26-2013, 09:52 AM

Liked: 10
I have a Denon 1613 with the exact setup you're goin for. I prefer to watch tv and movies with the receiver and speakers always on but the wife is perfectly happy with just the tv's speakers. Pass through only works if youre using HDMI though so if your cable box doesnt have that then you'll have to do what jautor said. It's pretty easy to set-up- the first time you turn on your 1613 it'll walk you through a menu with all the different settings and it'll give you a chance to turn on HDMI pass-thru and select which source you want to use.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page