Need help on selecting the right speaker wire. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 04-29-2013, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,

Long time visitor, first time poster. Finally having some time, and space, to start a home theater build, I am in the market for some speaker wire that I want to run under the carpet most likely as the basement has drywall ceilings.

I found these RCA cables for this deals site that I visit often, (direct amazon link and while they seem like a good deal, are they? Has anyone used these under carpet?

I have a 5.1 Onkyo system, and the wires that came with it are just too short. I would just need to run the rear speakers with these.

Any input appreciated.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2013, 04:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by poma View Post

Hi all,

Long time visitor, first time poster. Finally having some time, and space, to start a home theater build, I am in the market for some speaker wire that I want to run under the carpet most likely as the basement has drywall ceilings.

I found these RCA cables for this deals site that I visit often, (direct amazon link and while they seem like a good deal, are they? Has anyone used these under carpet?

I have a 5.1 Onkyo system, and the wires that came with it are just too short. I would just need to run the rear speakers with these.

Any input appreciated.

Thanks

The price is not too bad but when you figure in shipping, as it is under Amazon's minimum $25 requirement for free shipping, I think you can do better on eBay. Amazon's shipping charges have gone crazy lately. You need to stay under about 30 feet runs with 16 gauge. 50 feet would be pushing the limit. What bothers me most is running wire under carpeting. IMHO not a good idea. Why not run it around the perimeter of the room?
Old 04-29-2013, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 89
Quote:

...they seem like a good deal, are they?
No. They are copper coated aluminum, not pure copper. They are not good at any price. You have to use thicker wires to get the same resistance as copper, and they break more easily, among other things. The appropriate gauge zip cord (lamp cord) from your local home improvement store will work just fine.
Quote:
Has anyone used these under carpet?
Speaker cables are not intended to be installed under carpet. If you have to do that, the best thing you can do is use flat speaker cables intended for the purpose.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Drywall was originally designed to hide plumbing and CABLES. Use it to hide the speaker cables. Not as hard as it looks. Any baseboard in the room? Cut the caulk, pry the baseboard off, and cut a channel in the exposed bottom of the drywall. You get extra points for passing the cables through holes drilled in the exposed studs, higher marks for using nail plates if needed.

Paint the baseboard nail heads and recaulk if it's not up to standard after nailing it back in.

I like jautor's approach best, though. Take a hammer, and make a big hole in any drywall. You'll then feel much more comfortable about making additional holes where needed, for running your cables. Drywall repair and painting is super cheap. I have a great drywall guy.

If you post pics, we can help you plan the runs.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
Old 04-29-2013, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Hey all, thanks for the great responses. I think it's true that if I'm going to run under carpet I might want to look into the flat cables, I never even thought that these were just coped coated as well.

My predicament is that we are actually in the process of building the house and the walkout basement will be finished soon, still no drywall on but the ceiling will also be drywall. I am still not 100% on where the location of the home theater is going to be in reference to the electric screen that I want, the projector, and the surround, but will need to tell them where to wire stuff or do it myself afterwards. That's why I was asking about the carpet, it seemed easiest to do after all is done.

I think I might just have to figure out all the plugs and maybe have them run the cables. The baseboard is also a good idea, I just wish that I knew where everything will be exactly smile.gif
Old 04-29-2013, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 379
Quote:

My predicament is that we are actually in the process of building the house and the walkout basement will be finished soon, still no drywall on but the ceiling will also be drywall. I am still not 100% on where the location of the home theater is going to be in reference to the electric screen that I want, the projector, and the surround, but will need to tell them where to wire stuff or do it myself afterwards. That's why I was asking about the carpet, it seemed easiest to do after all is done.

OMG, there's no drywall up and you're already looking for workarounds for later??? It will be a lot more expensive, a pain, and probably sub-optimal later. Figure it out now, before the drywall goes up. If you can't decide between two or even three locations - run wire to all of them, and just assume half or more will be unused. Wire is cheap.
Rashman likes this.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
Old 04-29-2013, 08:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked: 1027
Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

Quote:

OMG, there's no drywall up and you're already looking for workarounds for later??? It will be a lot more expensive, a pain, and probably sub-optimal later. Figure it out now, before the drywall goes up. If you can't decide between two or even three locations - run wire to all of them, and just assume half or more will be unused. Wire is cheap.

+10 D'oh!

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz

Old 04-30-2013, 04:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Hehe.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone