Open floor plan: how to get the best acoustics possible - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 05-01-2013, 06:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Full Blueprint with key and furniture.png 610k .png file Home Theater Magnified.png 178k .png file

All,

I am finishing a 1900 square foot basement with an open floor plan. Because of the open configuration, how can I achieve the best acoustics?

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: png Full Blueprint with key and furniture.png (610.3 KB, 37 views)
File Type: png Home Theater Magnified.png (177.6 KB, 29 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-01-2013, 07:19 AM

I think with the open floor plan you kind of have to build it and adjust if you think it's necessary. You could go crazy adding acoustical treatments that will do little more than putting a bandaid on a little scrape when you have a gapping wound behind you.

Layout looks great. Are you putting in a projector or Flat screen? What's the plan for the little alcove at the top of the theater area? You could enclose the whole space and use it as your AV room.
post #3 of 11 Old 05-01-2013, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter

Wildcat91 and all,

Thanks for your response. As far as my system is concerned (including your query about the monitor), I am going with the following:

Panasonic TC-P65VT50
FR & FL: B&W CM9
Center: B&W CM Centre 2
Surrounds: B&W CCM 683 dipole ceiling speakers
Receiver: Integra DTR 7.4
Amp: TBD
Universal Disc: Marantz 5007 Universal Disc Player

I have created a 3' gap between the foundation and the interior wall for the components which will be controlled using infrared. My wife and I decided to go with an open floor plan as it transitions nicely from our main level to the basement.

Thanks!!!
post #4 of 11 Old 05-01-2013, 11:40 AM

If you look at my layout it's very similar to yours. I like the open layout as well, makes the room more practical for entertaining. The one thing I ended up doing was put a seperate set of speakers over my bar area (your billiards area). I didn't want to have to rely on my HT speakers to deliver music across the room.
post #5 of 11 Old 05-01-2013, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter

wildcat91 and all,

My bar is so close to the media area, I did not require additional speakers there; however, I eventually will set up a second "area" with a separate speaker/plasma for the billiards station. One of the features I like about the Integra DTR 70.4 is the capability to set up to four "areas".

Wildcat91: Can you respond to this with an attachment containing your floorplan? I would love to see it!

~LennartzHT
post #6 of 11 Old 05-02-2013, 05:59 AM

I shot you a copy of the plan, you can also see it in my very exciting build thread!

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1456298/wildcat-theater-room-build/0_100#post_23217407
post #7 of 11 Old 05-02-2013, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter

wildcat91 and all,

Your plan looks great! Are you doing any of the work yourself? I am doing all of the carpentry work including framing, soffit, insulation, baseboards, 6 hinged and one pocket door, drywall and painting. I am excited about doing this as it is the first time I have taken on a project of this scale (1900 square feet).

I looked at your project page as well. Everything looks top-notch.

With much appreciation,

LennartzHT
post #8 of 11 Old 05-02-2013, 11:23 AM

The majority of the work is getting subbed out to various contractors. Although I would have loved to take on the project myself chasing three kids around leaves me little time for big projects. Didn;t want to end up with a build that took me 3 years to complete!!

I would suggest you get some quotes for the drywall installation or at least the taping and mudding. You have a huge area to finish off, if you read through a bunch of the "What would I do different" threads you'll find a lot of build where they wished they had subed it out
post #9 of 11 Old 05-02-2013, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter

wildcat91,

You are not the first person to recommend subbing out the drywall work. In fact, the Home Depot and Lowe's Pro Desk experts told me the very same thing. My understanding is that hanging the drywall is not that much of a challenge; however, mudding and taping are an art form. I may reconsider this as the idea of accurately cutting out the recessed lights, in-ceiling speakers and outlets is new to me. In addition, I have only mud and taped once in my life. The more I type, the more convinced I am that this should be left to an expert! smile.gif

Thanks,

LennartHT
post #10 of 11 Old 05-03-2013, 09:05 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Hanging is straightforward. Mudding and taping if you are not putting on texture or doing a stretch wall is very difficult to get a good finish if you haven't done it a lot before or have some god given talent. Suffice to say I will only touch small drywall repairs myself know after trying to mud and tape a room and the result being a crap finish!

Master of Minions, Acoustic Frontiers. We specialize in the design and creation of high performance listening rooms, home theaters and project studios for discerning audio/video enthusiasts.
post #11 of 11 Old 05-03-2013, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyal Mellor View Post

Hanging is straightforward. Mudding and taping if you are not putting on texture or doing a stretch wall is very difficult to get a good finish if you haven't done it a lot before or have some god given talent. Suffice to say I will only touch small drywall repairs myself know after trying to mud and tape a room and the result being a crap finish!

Nyal,

Amen to that! I am rather AR when it comes to the quality of the decorum in my home. If I am going to dump a bunch of money into the basement, the last thing I want is to screw it up with walls with noticeable gaps, over mudding, cracks, etc.

~LennartzHT
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page