Mounting on wall with Fire Sprinkler System in it - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 05-05-2013, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Liked: 756
Ok, I was hoping to get word or two of advice here.

The wall I want to mount the 60" TV actually has a home fire sprinkler on it (my home has a fire sprinkler system).

The sprinkler is mounted on the wall, near the ceiling. It is fed by PVC-like water pipes throughout the house reaching every room. They'll go from the mount more or less straight down (I hope) to the basement.

I'm tempted to put kids large size drawing paper over much of the wall so with my stud-finder I can carefully chart out where the studs are for sure, and what might be a pipe yielding a false signal. I don't want to drive a lag into something that only seems like a stud.

Nor do I want to drive into a stud that might have the pipe tunneling sideways through the middle of it (does this happen?....it doesn't make sense to me but I'm unsure.)

Advice?

Grow milkweed. The Monarch Butterfly requires it, and its numbers are dwindling fast.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 05-05-2013, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Drywall repair is pretty cheap, if you want to cut a few holes to explore. You can cut holes behind the TV, and cover them with blank plates, and nobody will see them. If you're running cables to the TV, to an AVR, you'll need to cut holes anyway. Be careful cutting the holes; IMO a keyhole saw used delicately works best.

If there is baseboard, you can pry that off, and cut the drywall behind that, to explore; drywall cuts are hidden behind the baseboard. You may need to recaulk and paint the baseboard, but slightly easier/cheaper than patching/painting drywall.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #3 of 15 Old 05-05-2013, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Another thing to mention is that studs should be evenly spaced (usually 16 inches on center) across most of the room. So, you should find a pattern. Unless you have a ton of pipes, they won't fit that pattern.

Also, the pipes should be in the middle of the stud. If the pipe's an inch thick, you should have 3.5 (or 5.5 if you have 2x6) - 1 = 2.5/2 = 1.25 inches to play with.

Bob
post #4 of 15 Old 05-05-2013, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Great points. Thanks.

Are Power Bridges like this one legal in Massachusetts? I heard from a DIY video that many things like this aren't allowed in varying states, but I can't see anywhere in any google any warning about it.

And I definitely want the ability to supply my own surge suppressor if needed.

Grow milkweed. The Monarch Butterfly requires it, and its numbers are dwindling fast.
post #5 of 15 Old 05-05-2013, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 360
The whole point of the Powerbridge is TO BE code compliant.

http://www.powerbridgesolution.com/faq.html

The DIY video may have meant to say that running the power cord through a scoop to the TV would not be code-compliant - which it isn't anywhere in the US. The only thing I can think of that would be an issue for some jurisdictions is the use of romex instead of armored cable. In other words, match the line voltage cable and installation method to whatever is used everywhere else in the house, and you're fine.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 15 Old 05-06-2013, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Given the way they've run stuff in our new house, you've got good cause to be concerned. There's a lot more infrastructure in bigger, new houses and the trades seem to be pretty random about how they run things. I can see this in the new house we're having built.

The permit for the house should have plans for the sprinkler layout. Get it. That will at least give you a rough idea of what's supposed to be where. But, again, it'll just be a rough plan, as they will have had to deviate from it to get around all the other stuff. HVAC's usually first, then plumbing, then electric and then sprinklers (around here anyway). So the sprinkler lines might have had to do some run-around to get to where they need to be.
post #7 of 15 Old 05-06-2013, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post

Given the way they've run stuff in our new house, you've got good cause to be concerned. There's a lot more infrastructure in bigger, new houses and the trades seem to be pretty random about how they run things. I can see this in the new house we're having built.

The permit for the house should have plans for the sprinkler layout. Get it. That will at least give you a rough idea of what's supposed to be where. But, again, it'll just be a rough plan, as they will have had to deviate from it to get around all the other stuff. HVAC's usually first, then plumbing, then electric and then sprinklers (around here anyway). So the sprinkler lines might have had to do some run-around to get to where they need to be.

Adding to my queasiness is the 220V dryer powerline in the wall in the room on the other side. It's down and to the right a-ways, but doesn't make me psyched about messing around on the TV side with a stud finder and lag screws.

post #8 of 15 Old 05-06-2013, 09:55 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Given all your (real and valid) concerns about what might be in the wall there, I'd cut the drywall and look. Yes, you'll have a bit of drywall repair, but that is easy and compared to the other potential issues you have brought up - that repair is trivial. Cut some holes and look inside.

Every man dies. Not every man really lives.
post #9 of 15 Old 05-07-2013, 03:21 AM
AVS Special Member

If you need to run power and LV anyway, you'll need to cut a hole. Cell phone cam is useful for looking around in the hole. I taped my cell phone to a ruler to make sure I didn't drop it, when I made a recent hole.

First step, mark studs with a stud finder. I suggest some lightly applied painters tape.

2nd, mark the ideal TV placement outline with tape.

3rd, mark a single gang LV ring cutout, with pencil.

4th, keyhole/jab saw cut.

5th, look around inside. If there is an obstruction, cover with a blank plate and choose another spot within the TV outline. If good, enlarge the cutout for your TV box. I don't know if all power bridge cutout are larger than a single gang LV cutout, but I think they are. You can choose a different power bridge than the one pictured above.

Obviously, try to pick a stud bay with an existing outlet.

If you must cut through the vapor barrier, repair the hole with a small piece of new vapor barrier that will be stretched behind the box. Use Tuck Tape to fasten, and to cover cable penetrations. I don't think most people would do this - just a suggestion.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #10 of 15 Old 05-07-2013, 03:23 AM
AVS Special Member

One more suggestion - I'd buy the TV mount first, before cutting. The mount configuration may interfere with the position of the box.

post #11 of 15 Old 05-07-2013, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 89
We lived in an apartment for years before this house. I was going to hang some pictures on the wall, so I got my cheap studfinder out (since upgraded) and found my stud. Got my little brad and hammer and started pounding. Went through drywall into something harder. Gave it a good thwack, and it didn't go in much. A much bigger THWACK and it went in and the hole turned wet. Pulled little nail out and it started spraying out this oily freon mixture. Apparently they ran some of the cooling lines next to the drywall and my studfinder found that eek.gifeek.gifeek.gif

TL;DR. Be careful what you pound or screw into. Better to check what is behind it first rolleyes.gif

------

post #12 of 15 Old 05-07-2013, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, in an apartment or condo you're really hard pressed to be sure about what's behind the walls. In a house with a basement or attic at least then you might have a chance to look at what's coming/going into the walls from there. But that's still no guarantee.
post #13 of 15 Old 05-07-2013, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah, in an apartment or condo you're really hard pressed to be sure about what's behind the walls. In a house with a basement or attic at least then you might have a chance to look at what's coming/going into the walls from there. But that's still no guarantee.

Well, to make matters even more complicated, the framer for our house was a strong believer in those corner to corner 2x4's (to form the triangle), and IIRC, he did this on the interior non-curtain walls as well in a few places (in addition to the exterior perimeter framing). Going back 16 years in memory. We actually *have* a VHS tape of a walk-around inside the house, but it's ............. >poof<, in hyperspace or something.

post #14 of 15 Old 05-07-2013, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Heh, VHS...

I've been making a couple of videos of each room as the construction has progressed. I plan on taking at least one more full set before the insulation and drywall crews do their thing.
post #15 of 15 Old 05-07-2013, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Heh, VHS...

I've been making a couple of videos of each room as the construction has progressed. I plan on taking at least one more full set before the insulation and drywall crews do their thing.

Good to do that anyway. It'll keep the contractor and crew honest.

It's downright amazing what they'll slip right by the building inspector without him noticing.

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page