12 x 10 room. can i use this as a media room? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 05-07-2013, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So i have a spare bedroom that is 12 x 10. Has anyone one have any experience making a media room out of the limited space. As of now I live in an apartment and have a 55 inch tv and a 5.1 speaker set up but i think this room would be smaller than my current living room.

I have attached a pic with the layout. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Capture.JPG 13k .JPG file
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (13.2 KB, 80 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-07-2013, 03:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked: 569
Can definitely turn it into a nice media room for 1 or 2 listeners (comfy chair or love seat, respectively). Making the window wall the front of the set-up, I would place the seating at 1/3rd of room length from the back wall for smoother frequency response. The closet in the back can be used to store your gear and media.

You can further minimize some of the low frequency peaks & dips in the room by placing your subwoofer at the midpoint of room width (either middle of the front wall or behind the love seat) and placing your L/R speakers 20 inches in from the left and right walls. Keeping those speakers near the front wall will give you a roughly 45 degree spread. Moving them a foot or two away from the front wall (recommended) would make for a bigger, wider soundstage.

If you're willing to add treatments to the room, I would cover most of the front wall with absorbtion and maybe a couple of bass traps in the front corners of the room.

Sanjay
post #3 of 10 Old 05-07-2013, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have the experience with rooms in rental houses. I'm currently making a 9' 2.5" x 19' a theater room. It's pretty awesome, a 106" screen with two Polk Monitor 70s barely fit on the front wall and nothing gets blocked.

A 12' x 10' you will be just fine with your setup. You won't be able to have multiple rows of seats, but you will be able to have a nice comfortable moving watching environment. You're looking at a loveseat, and you may have trouble throwing in a 3-seater couch. Even if it does fit, you have to walk sideways to get around it.

If you wanted to project, you could probably do a 92" image at the most.

You'll definitely have enough separation to do a 5.1, but not a 7.1-7.2.

I always recommend curtain panels. Not only do they give the room a nice look, but they help with sound reflection. You will have to drape the front window.
post #4 of 10 Old 05-07-2013, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter

I was thinking of a sectional recliners around the wall near the door and wall mounting the 55 inch tv on the wall across is that enough space between the tv and couch? thanks alot for the ideas
post #5 of 10 Old 05-07-2013, 08:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

You'd get a much more symmetrical layout if you mounted the TV on the 10 foot wall.

Sanjay
post #6 of 10 Old 05-08-2013, 05:43 AM - Thread Starter

do you suggest the tv be in the area in front of the closet or the wall with the window? Im not sure I can mount it on the side of the room where the cabinets are. Thanks alot and sorry for all the questions Im very new at this
post #7 of 10 Old 05-08-2013, 12:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post

Making the window wall the front of the set-up...
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgieg View Post

do you suggest the tv be in the area in front of the closet or the wall with the window?
See my previous post.

Sanjay
post #8 of 10 Old 05-08-2013, 03:53 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:

So i have a spare bedroom that is 12 x 10. Has anyone one have any experience making a media room out of the limited space. As of now I live in an apartment and have a 55 inch tv and a 5.1 speaker set up but i think this room would be smaller than my current living room.

I have attached a pic with the layout. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Capture.JPG 13k .JPG file

That's the size of my memorabilia HT. Initially I was supposed to get the 15' x 25' room, but wife called it, so I got the smaller "front" room of our home. Still worked out nice though. Was able to get my memorabilia to fit, and make a nice little HT as well. You can see pics in the link in my sig.

Have to agree with alot of what sdurani said about seating, speaker, and TV placement. It's exactly what I've done with mine, except the sub is still seated in the front left corner, for now. Also, I agree with FendersRule on curtain panels. As for viewing distance, you'll be fine. 7'-8' back from the TV is totally doable in that size room.
post #9 of 10 Old 05-09-2013, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter

alright thanks alot for all your help!
post #10 of 10 Old 05-12-2013, 04:03 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:

alright thanks alot for all your help!

No worries! Post pics, if you're able, once you're setup is up and running. smile.gif
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page