How would I do this (outdoor volume control with dual zone amplifier) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 05-08-2013, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,
Our living room backs up to the outside, and we're in the process of putting in an outdoor kitchen area, so I would like to install outdoor speakers, with a volume control.

I'm attaching a picture of the location of the speakers, amplifier, power amp, and volume control.

My question, is how I would run the cable, or even how I would hook this up. I know the power amp has + and - for each channel, and I'm putting two speakers on each channel (wired in parallel probably).

I was hoping to hook this up to control the speakers:
http://www.amazon.com/AudioSource-AE100VC-Impedance-Matching-Control/dp/B003H3C94W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1368043858&sr=8-1&keywords=volume+control

If i have to, I can hook up two volume controls (one for each channel?), but had hoped to just have one. Maybe that's not possible.

Would appreciate any input

thanks!

Speaker and Receiver layout 22k .png file
Attached Images
File Type: png Untitled.png (22.1 KB, 16 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-08-2013, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 379
You can attach two pairs to the volume control in parallel, they will present 1/2 the impedance to the amp. If you get a volume control with impedance-matching, set it to 2x.

Note that if you're connecting this to a zone2 amp output, the volume control duplicates functionality there - and you may be better off using the "app" for control... But regardless, wire for the VC - and run a cat5e line to that location for future upgrades...

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #3 of 5 Old 05-08-2013, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter

jautor - thanks for the response.
Just want to make sure I understand -
I run the two pairs from the living room amp to the volume control, and then from the volume control I run wire to the four outdoor speakers. Since i'm going to have 2 speakers per channel (parallel), I would set impedence matching to 2x, to protect the amp?

I know the 2nd zone on the amp has its own volume control, but that would require someone to walk inside, over the hardwood floors (!!!) to adjust the volume, OR use the app, which may be hard. I envision us using this while we're swimming, so we're all going to be wet, and would be much easier grabbing the volume control and just adjusting it from there. I guess we could set the volume on the amp to a set level for the second zone and then do any other adjusting from the volume control knob?

When you say run a cat5e line to the location, what would that accomplish? Would we (perhaps? getting excited here) be able to use the cat5e line for the speaker connections? The wire has 4 pairs, so we could use those 4 pairs for each channel (+ and - on left, + and - on right). Or would you recommend I just run 12gauge speaker wire from the receiverto the volume control, and the cat5e just for future only
post #4 of 5 Old 05-08-2013, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter

Actually the onlyreason I was going to get the separate power amp, was becuase I could get an amp with lower impedence, since i'd be running the speakers in parallel (2 per channel) and that would lower the impedence below what any regular receiver could handle. If i can set impedence matching on the VC, i may be in good shape
post #5 of 5 Old 05-08-2013, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul_nylund View Post

jautor - thanks for the response.
Just want to make sure I understand -
I run the two pairs from the living room amp to the volume control, and then from the volume control I run wire to the four outdoor speakers. Since i'm going to have 2 speakers per channel (parallel), I would set impedence matching to 2x, to protect the amp?

Correct. Assuming the two pairs (four) of speakers are 8-ohm rated.
Quote:
I know the 2nd zone on the amp has its own volume control, but that would require someone to walk inside, over the hardwood floors (!!!) to adjust the volume, OR use the app, which may be hard. I envision us using this while we're swimming, so we're all going to be wet, and would be much easier grabbing the volume control and just adjusting it from there. I guess we could set the volume on the amp to a set level for the second zone and then do any other adjusting from the volume control knob?

Yes, that's the benefit of the in-room local controls, and the dual-control issue is the caveat. If you use an outboard amp, yes, you should probably set it to the maximum level you want outside, and adjust "down" with the outdoor knob.
Quote:
When you say run a cat5e line to the location, what would that accomplish? Would we (perhaps? getting excited here) be able to use the cat5e line for the speaker connections? The wire has 4 pairs, so we could use those 4 pairs for each channel (+ and - on left, + and - on right). Or would you recommend I just run 12gauge speaker wire from the receiverto the volume control, and the cat5e just for future only

For future only - you don't want to use cat5e as speaker wire (way too small gauge wire for that purpose).

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms