Mounting TV - distance from wall? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 05-08-2013, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently got a Samsung UN60F8000 and am looking to wallmount it. The installer I was talking to uses ones that put the TV about 1" from the wall (possibly 1.06"?)

I was looking at and inquired about the "ultra slim" ones - he was quite against them both from installing and try to balance/fit cables/etc. I think most of the ultra slim ones are somewhere around 0.6-0.7"?

When I look on my measuring tape, the distance between the two SEEMS indifferent. Is there in fact a difference? Is there a point in pushing for/considering a more slim mount?

The TV itself is quite thin, naturally..
The power+other inputs face downwards

This isn't my "ultimate theatre room" - it's simply the living room in my condo - but I do like the idea of it looking nice/sleek on the wall. Is it worth the effort/thought of trying to literally go as slim as I can - instead of 1"...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-09-2013, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 92
MY first wall mount bracket held my old plasma probably 3" from the wall. The new TV in the new house is much slimmer and closer to the wall. I have big ham-hock hands and I had a hell of a time getting the cables back up behind there. I don't really see how to get something 0.6" from the wall.

To answer your question, I'm really not sure why the installer is concerned about a quarter of an inch or so. I guess we could ask why YOU are wink.gif
post #3 of 4 Old 05-09-2013, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 365
The thinner mounts do look nicer, with the TV hugging the wall very much like a picture frame... But in order to get them flush, you'll need a recessed outlet with enough space to jam all the excess cable, and have them flexible enough to make the bends/turns needed. Something like the Arlington 8x10 TV box outlet makes this possible.

I have one of the very slim mounts, and I really need a 2nd person to help hold the TV while I get the cables stuffed in to make it truly flush...

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #4 of 4 Old 05-09-2013, 04:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 32
it looks like Samsung leaves you some small cavity space for cable and their recessed connections, but you are going to want some very thin, flexible cables and a precisely located recessed box, as suggested by Jautor, to accommodate slack and the electrical plug

underachiever extraordinaire
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page