HELP!!! Major Issue with In-Wall Speaker Install - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 05-10-2013, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys. First post here. I need some help with my speaker installation. I bought my house almost a year ago now. I got my TV hung pretty quick but when I went to start on the speaker install, I encountered a huge road block. I got the speaker locations all measured out. I cut out the first hole and found the wall is filled with 1" thick styrofoam sheets and the studs are layed flat against the wall. MY WALL HAS NO DEPTH! I was so angry when I found this. Running wires in this wall is very difficult due to the foam sheets. I managed to get my HDMI cable through there somehow and I just picked up a MagnaPull on eBay to help me with the speaker wires. My main issue that I need your help with is the depth issue. When I put the speaker in the hole, there is about a quarter inch gap between the speaker and drywall and that's with the magnet against the cinder block wall behind it. What options do I have to make this work? Does anyone make spacers for in-wall speakers? I'm thinking I'm probably going to have to make something. I was thinking half inch MDF. How much space should there be between the magnet and the cinder block?

Basically, I'm headed toward making spacers but I wanted to see If you guys had any better Ideas. Let me know. You're help is greatly appreciated as I haven't been able to enjoy a movie in almost a year. LOL.

Here are some pics to show you what I'm talking about.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-10-2013, 08:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 81
That looks like a really easy fix, with the spacer idea. Put some time in, with some sanding and paint, and it will look very nice.

I'd pick out a cabinet for your equipment first, before painting and installing the spacers.

You also might consider a Power Bridge, before doing anything else.

If you're going to be doing some painting anyway, cutting a few more holes to run the speaker cables isn't a big deal.

How about a Ravens purple cabinet, with purple spacers to match?

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #3 of 7 Old 05-25-2013, 07:48 AM

As the young people would say: " Haha lol."

I have the same problem right now . . . But the gap between the drywall and the cinderblocks is less than an inch so my 3.5 inch in-wall speakers will be sticking out by 2 inches or so.

Anybody know of any aftermarket speaker spacers? I just don't have the time to make a custom spacer and I'm not eve sure if it can be done will the 2 inches sticking out.

I suppose another option is to make a speaker hole in the cinder, but that doesn't sound too kosher.
post #4 of 7 Old 05-25-2013, 08:07 AM - Thread Starter

That sucks. I don't think you'd be able to space them out that much without building a speaker box to mount on the wall.

I have all my spacers cut out. I'm going to start taking the router to them this weekend. Hopefully I'll have them done and painted by the end of the holiday. I'll get some pics of the progress when they're complete.
post #5 of 7 Old 05-25-2013, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Sounds like an easy fix - build speaker boxes, have someone build them for you (kitchen cabinet shop), or buy on-wall speakers.

The in-wall speaker manufacturer will provide you with the ideal back box volume for your specific model, if you ask.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #6 of 7 Old 05-26-2013, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Take a page out of dedicated home theaters, with acoustically transparent screens.

1: Fix the insulation and patch the drywall.

2: Then frame the whole wall with 2x4" studding, to get your speaker depth. You could even build inexpensive speaker back boxes.

3: Paint out the studs and wall black.

4: Then cover the whole wall with speaker cloth fabric and remount the tv.
post #7 of 7 Old 07-03-2013, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter

Well I got everything in and working. Sounds great and I can finally enjoy a movie again. I'll get some pics up later of the final install.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page