New to forum, new to the home theather scene! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 05-12-2013, 02:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey, my name is Jas (pronounced Jazz) and I am a noob seeking advice for my first attempt at a home theater. I've done some initial research in regards to gear (LED TV, Speakers) and it's gotten quite overwhelming at times but this site seems like the perfect place for me to research further, ask questions and ultimately just learn. So here's my situation, pretty soon here I will be moving into a new home that is currently still under construction. In the basement there is a dedicated media room that I would like to utilize as a theater room the best i can while staying within a budget of $5500 (HDTV + Sound System). I've made a diagram of the room dimensions:

Couple of points, the right side walls (cement = homes foundation) have of course been framed and dry-walled. All drywall in this room is 5/8 which has been placed over 1/2inch plywood. Roxul Safe'n'Sound insulation in ceiling and brown walls (see diagram), normal insulation in cement walls. The back wall also has a "channel", not sure what this is exactly but apparently it helps absorb low frequency sound.

Back Wall:

Back Wall:

Front Wall (TV Cabinet):

Right Wall Indent:

Left Wall:

The room has already been wired for 7.1 surround sound with oxygen free, 16 gauge copper wire( 65 strand ). Ceiling height is 8ft 4in and the drop along the back and left wall ceiling reach down around maybe 1ft but I'd have to double check. OK so here is what I have in mind so far, I'm thinking about going with a 5.1 surround sound system and a BIG hdtv. If you look at the picture of the front wall with the TV cabinet you'll see 3 outlets for the Left, Center and Right speakers, not sure if this is ideal location but that's where they are. The Center outlet is located about 7ft high (or 4ft 10in above TV cabinet) while the Left and Right outlets are located 6ft 2in high. The 2 pictures of the back wall show the locations of the rear Left & Right speaker outlets and these guys are 6ft 6in high and 9ft apart from one another. Excuse all the numbers, I've been reading a bit on others setups and everyone seems to be quite specific about building materials, measurements and speaker positioning etc so I'm included as much info as I can.

My wishlist so far based on what I've been able to research:

1x Sharp 80LE633U (costco.ca model) - $4249.99cdn ea.
1x Denon AVR-1913 (amazon.com) - $499.99ea.
1x BIC America DV-62CLRS Center Channel Speaker (amazon.com) - $105.98ea.
2x BIC America DV62si Bookshelf Speakers (amazon.com) - $114.99pair.
1x BIC America F12 (amazon.com) - $199.99ea.

To sum it all up I guess I would like to ask the people here if the room is built/ setup well enough to provide a good atmosphere for a home theater and if the shopping list is at the point where it will provide me with both high quality sound and high quality picture for the money. Any suggestions, criticisms, opinions, feedback would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-12-2013, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Welcome to AVS Jas, since you are wanting to have a dedicated home theater with controlled lighting, I suggest you either go the Plasma route or a projector. The reason why is, the sharp you have in mind although has the size, it is very bad with clouding, blacks and motion blur. You can get a 65" ST60 Panasonic and it would kill the sharp in all aspects of performance. Unless you will only watch 1080p Bluray movies and don't mind the problems mentioned than go for it. As for Speakers, I haven't heard of Bic America speakers so I can't comment on them but I recommend Klipsch speakers. They are mind blowing, clear and powerful. You can get the 65" plasma for $2598 or cheaper at visions and have extra for a good sound system. You can check out the plasma section on reviews. I don't know much about projectors but that could be a route to go aswell and you can have even a bigger screen than the 80" sharp. Maybe someone else that knows more about projectors can chime in. As for receivers The Denon you mentioned is a good one. Let us know what you decide. Have fun shopping, it's the best.biggrin.gif

TV - Panasonic 55GT50Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28'sCenter Channel- Klipsch RC-52Sub - Klipsch Sub 12Surrounds - Klipsch RS-52 II (new)Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3Receiver - Onkyo RC-360HTPC - Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,3 TB,wireless WMC keyboardVideo processor - Darbee
post #3 of 6 Old 05-13-2013, 12:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinoheat View Post

Welcome to AVS Jas, since you are wanting to have a dedicated home theater with controlled lighting, I suggest you either go the Plasma route or a projector. The reason why is, the sharp you have in mind although has the size, it is very bad with clouding, blacks and motion blur. You can get a 65" ST60 Panasonic and it would kill the sharp in all aspects of performance. Unless you will only watch 1080p Bluray movies and don't mind the problems mentioned than go for it. As for Speakers, I haven't heard of Bic America speakers so I can't comment on them but I recommend Klipsch speakers. They are mind blowing, clear and powerful. You can get the 65" plasma for $2598 or cheaper at visions and have extra for a good sound system. You can check out the plasma section on reviews. I don't know much about projectors but that could be a route to go aswell and you can have even a bigger screen than the 80" sharp. Maybe someone else that knows more about projectors can chime in. As for receivers The Denon you mentioned is a good one. Let us know what you decide. Have fun shopping, it's the best.biggrin.gif

Thanks for the reply, I'll definitely look a little more into Klipsh speakers but from what I've gathered so far is that BIC America (I've never heard of them before either) makes some of the best speakers in this price range. The room isn't really wired up for a projector and at the end of the day I'd still prefer a TV set. I'm glad you noticed that there's controlled lighting I forget to mention that in the original post. I looked into plasma's and was pretty close to going that route but I learned that burn in is still an issue for the type of viewing I'd be doing (hud displays on sports channels, gaming etc) so I decided to go with LED instead. While this is going to be a theater room, realistically there's no way I'm going to be able to limit myself to only watching movies in there:D so its going to be my everyday TV. Quite a few of the people on this board seem to be pretty happy with there 80LE633U but if it's going to have the issue's you mentioned with the type of usage its going to see with me then I'd definitely reconsider, I do value picture quality so while an 80inch TV would be bad ass I wouldn't be opposed to "stepping down" to the 70inch range which seems to have a lot more options (confusing!).
post #4 of 6 Old 05-13-2013, 06:08 AM

Liked: 11
If you're not going projector X2 on the Plasma in your situation. Would also devote a bigger percentage to your speaker budget. Right now you're going into a room that's wired for 7.1 and only using 3.1. Speakers are a very personal preference. Go and listen to as many as you can before you buy.
post #5 of 6 Old 05-13-2013, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat91 View Post

If you're not going projector X2 on the Plasma in your situation. Would also devote a bigger percentage to your speaker budget. Right now you're going into a room that's wired for 7.1 and only using 3.1. Speakers are a very personal preference. Go and listen to as many as you can before you buy.

Thanks for the reply, If I go with a 70inch I'll be able to put a little more into the speaker budget but even so the reviews I've seen on the BIC America line seem to indicate to me that spending some more money won't yield me a discernible difference in sound especially given my lack of experience it this field. Also I'd like to clarify that I decided to go with a 5.1 system (not 3.1) instead of a 7.1 since reading that the difference isn't major but is that really true?. From what I understand the biggest difference maker is the tuning and positioning of the speakers which is sounding like its going to be a bit of a gong show the first time around tongue.gif. This leads me to another question, do you guys think this room is set up well enough in terms of building materials in the walls and dimensions of the room itself to produce a enveloping theater experience? Half the room is surrounded by concrete (covered with framing/drywall) while the other half uses 5/8 drywall on top of 1/2 inch plywood with Roxul Safe'n'Sound insulation + ceiling. It seems like there was an effort made to keep the sound inside the room but I'd still appreciate some feed back .
post #6 of 6 Old 05-17-2013, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter

Bump, anyone? I''m still curious if the extra measures taken in terms of the building materials were not in vain or if there is a better way to go about it the next time around.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page