Can I Use APC H10 Power Conditioner In Series With UPS? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 05-12-2013, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have an APC H10 power conditioner which controls/regulates the power to my AV equipment (wide screen HDTV, Cable STB, Moxi, dvd recorders and Sony home theater receiver). Because of the number of power outages I get, I want to add a Cyberpower CP1500PFCLCD 1500VA 900W UPS (an interactive, pure sign wave device) to that mix. Even though the Cyberpower UPS provides AVR, my understanding is that the AVR it provides is not as good a quality as the AVR in my H10. In fact, a Cyberpower rep told me the exact same thing saying: “A power conditioner would keep the voltage very steady at 120, and focus on keeping out line noise, which this unit would not necessarily do”.

For this reason, (and because I already have the H10 and wouldn’t want to stop using it otherwise) I would like to use the H10 in line with the UPS. Is it possible to do this? I keep finding conflicting information regarding this during my research. Some say that they can be used together without problems, others say that you shouldn’t connect the UPS to the H10 power conditioner output since doing so would cause the UPS to go offline when it shouldn’t.

Still others say that you should not plug the H10 into one of the UPS outlets since it could have problems accepting the simulated sign wave output of most less expensive UPS’s. APC for example says that connecting a non-APC surge protector to an APC UPS will void the UPS warranty. This sounds as if it might be a marketing oriented statement from APC however since it would force you to buy their own surge suppressing products. Also, I know that the San Francisco fire code says not to connect a power strip to another power strip (which I would presume would include a UPS). I would guess that this is because of the risk of adding too many devices to a single circuit and overloading it however.

It seems to me that since my UPS is a pure sine wave model and Cyberpower seems to have an excellent UPS, I should be able to use the the H10 along with the UPS as long as I made sure that the wattage loads on both devices remained well within specs. Furthermore, if what I want to do can be done at all, the best arrangement seems to me would be the following since it would provide the cleanest power to the AV devices:

Wall outlet -> UPS -> Power Conditioner - > AV equipment

Does anyone have any comments/thoughts about this or even better, have any experience with actually doing it? One last comment I will make is that APC has some combination power conditioner/UPS models but they only provide simulated square wave outputs on all models and no AVR on any but the most expensive model.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-12-2013, 05:22 PM

Liked: 32
As long as the H10 is the ONLY device connected to the UPS, there will be zero issue...
post #3 of 7 Old 05-12-2013, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splicer010 View Post

As long as the H10 is the ONLY device connected to the UPS, there will be zero issue...

Thanks for the response. Yes, the H10 would be the only device on the UPS. My computer equipment is all on a separate UPS.
post #4 of 7 Old 05-12-2013, 10:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 178
>>Wall outlet -> UPS -> Power Conditioner - > AV equipment<< makes best sense.

Just out of curiosity, what is the issue if another device is connected to the UPS along with the H10?
post #5 of 7 Old 05-12-2013, 10:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_111 View Post

I have an APC H10 power conditioner which controls/regulates the power to my AV equipment (wide screen HDTV, Cable STB, Moxi, dvd recorders and Sony home theater receiver). Because of the number of power outages I get, I want to add a Cyberpower CP1500PFCLCD 1500VA 900W UPS (an interactive, pure sign wave device) to that mix. Even though the Cyberpower UPS provides AVR, my understanding is that the AVR it provides is not as good a quality as the AVR in my H10. In fact, a Cyberpower rep told me the exact same thing saying: “A power conditioner would keep the voltage very steady at 120, and focus on keeping out line noise, which this unit would not necessarily do”.

For this reason, (and because I already have the H10 and wouldn’t want to stop using it otherwise) I would like to use the H10 in line with the UPS. Is it possible to do this? I keep finding conflicting information regarding this during my research. Some say that they can be used together without problems, others say that you shouldn’t connect the UPS to the H10 power conditioner output since doing so would cause the UPS to go offline when it shouldn’t.

Still others say that you should not plug the H10 into one of the UPS outlets since it could have problems accepting the simulated sign wave output of most less expensive UPS’s. APC for example says that connecting a non-APC surge protector to an APC UPS will void the UPS warranty. This sounds as if it might be a marketing oriented statement from APC however since it would force you to buy their own surge suppressing products. Also, I know that the San Francisco fire code says not to connect a power strip to another power strip (which I would presume would include a UPS). I would guess that this is because of the risk of adding too many devices to a single circuit and overloading it however.

It seems to me that since my UPS is a pure sine wave model and Cyberpower seems to have an excellent UPS, I should be able to use the the H10 along with the UPS as long as I made sure that the wattage loads on both devices remained well within specs. Furthermore, if what I want to do can be done at all, the best arrangement seems to me would be the following since it would provide the cleanest power to the AV devices:

Wall outlet -> UPS -> Power Conditioner - > AV equipment

Does anyone have any comments/thoughts about this or even better, have any experience with actually doing it? One last comment I will make is that APC has some combination power conditioner/UPS models but they only provide simulated square wave outputs on all models and no AVR on any but the most expensive model.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

I have this ups and I'm pretty sure it is not a pure sine wave. It is umm simulated sine or something like that. The apc smart-ups are pure sine.
post #6 of 7 Old 05-12-2013, 10:25 PM

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post

>>Wall outlet -> UPS -> Power Conditioner - > AV equipment<< makes best sense.

Just out of curiosity, what is the issue if another device is connected to the UPS along with the H10?
The potential for overload/damage...
post #7 of 7 Old 05-12-2013, 11:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splicer010 View Post

The potential for overload/damage...
So then it is actually ok to connect other devices to the UPS after all. Regardless of what's connected, as long as the total load is within the UPS's limits, no problem.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page