About to move and I need help planning! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 05-12-2013, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Wife and I are moving into a new place soonish and I need to get my existing equipment into a new space. Unlike what I have now this new space is open on one side so I'm looking for some tips/advice on how to move forward and examples of what others have done. The area that I can utilize is actually very similar to what I currently have, just more open. I'm mostly concerned about (and perhaps I don't need to be) sound (but not soundproofing) and I'm reasonably confident I can control light in the room when needed.

What I currently have:
  • Panasonic PT-AR100U
  • 90" BOC rigid screen
  • Onkyo SR-608
  • 5.1 speaker setup, nothing special
  • Bluray, Wii U, etc
  • Seating consisting of a love seat and couch

Room has 8' ceilings and I'd like to go with a larger screen, probably 110" 16:9. I'll worry about details as I get farther along, for now just some advice would be appreciated. I'm thinking I should do some sort of soffit surrounding the area as a way to run cabling for the PJ as well as some sort of visual way to break up the space. Thoughts and examples of how others have done this would be great.

I've included a couple of photos showing the space as well as a rough sketchup of it showing some dimensions that I believe are pretty close.

Linux based Apple file server made easy

ControlPlane - Make your mac context and location sensitive!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-13-2013, 04:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 62
I hate to say it, but I would have made a better choice.

Your biggest problem is where to place the surround speakers. The RS's only real choice is on the column/wall end, where the carpet/tile come together. Unless you want to do some carpentry and add a wall at the edge of the soffit for about 1/2 its length.
Of coarse, it makes a difference as to the size of the surround speakers as to how they can be placed. And of coarse getting the speaker wires to that location so not to be in the way of everyday living.
post #3 of 7 Old 05-13-2013, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter

I realize there will be some compromising and some building that needs to take place. In fact, I suppose I should name it "The Not Ideal."

I've expanded my sketchup a bit to include some of my initial thoughts. Again the measurements are all really rough and nothing is symmetrical on each side but hopefully it better describes what I'm thinking. In the back there would be some sort of table top similar to what is shown here

Or

There would be lighting in the soffit directly above the table top and the rear surround would be hung to the left/right of it with the projector directly above, preferably in some sort of hush box.

In front of that would be some sort of seating and seating on the right. I could also have the table top come directly off the wall with the door and window and use the space under it for something.

Here is a couple of views of a as-quick-as-I-can-do-at-work mock up in sketch up

I know I'm limited on space between the screen wall and the door so I don't want to use up too much space for columns on the screen wall but I will need something (IMO) for speakers and equipment. I'm guessing there would be something similar to this under the screen:

It'd probably need to be wider and shorter but you get the idea. Or I could use the columns to hold equipment and have nothing under the screen.

post #4 of 7 Old 05-13-2013, 07:54 AM

Liked: 11
I like the idea of keeping the equipment off the front wall. Might want to consider building it in to the back counter. Or on the back wall
post #5 of 7 Old 05-13-2013, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat91 View Post

I like the idea of keeping the equipment off the front wall. Might want to consider building it in to the back counter. Or on the back wall

Yea I'm not entirely sure where to put the receiver and related equipment but right now I'm leaning towards under the screen or in shelving in the left or right column because it'd be simpler. Using a different room would ramp up costs pretty quick.

post #6 of 7 Old 05-13-2013, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by mym6 View Post

I realize there will be some compromising and some building that needs to take place. In fact, I suppose I should name it "The Not Ideal."

I've expanded my sketchup a bit to include some of my initial thoughts. Again the measurements are all really rough and nothing is symmetrical on each side but hopefully it better describes what I'm thinking. In the back there would be some sort of table top similar to what is shown here

Or

There would be lighting in the soffit directly above the table top and the rear surround would be hung to the left/right of it with the projector directly above, preferably in some sort of hush box.

In front of that would be some sort of seating and seating on the right. I could also have the table top come directly off the wall with the door and window and use the space under it for something.

Here is a couple of views of a as-quick-as-I-can-do-at-work mock up in sketch up

I know I'm limited on space between the screen wall and the door so I don't want to use up too much space for columns on the screen wall but I will need something (IMO) for speakers and equipment. I'm guessing there would be something similar to this under the screen:

It'd probably need to be wider and shorter but you get the idea. Or I could use the columns to hold equipment and have nothing under the screen.
My idea for a wall was not between the screen and front door (back of the HT area), but along the right side, so you could place the right surround.
As for the amps, anything will work. built into the columns, under the screen, open shelves stand(what I use)
post #7 of 7 Old 05-13-2013, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter

I wondered if that's what you were thinking for the wall. I'd like to avoid doing that if possible.

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page