Thoughts on what to do with 27'X15' - Theater, Games and teen hang out - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 05-14-2013, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The pondering started when we built the house 6 years ago. Time for the carpet remnant and 15 year old couches to go!

I have been playing in an old version of TCad for years and have a rough idea of how I want to lay out the space. The main room is 27' plus long and is 15 wide in the center with an area on each end measuring roughly 21'. The bathroom is roughed in and going nowhere else. The general idea is a big projection screen on the end wall with couch(s) dividing the room. Throw a flat panel on the opposite wall for gaming. likely a sink in a section of uppers and lower cabinets to make a snack area. Just getting serious and will post some pics of the space as it is now later tonight. I am lucky in that only two walls and the bathroom need to be framed and then plumbing/electrical pulled before closing up.

But, before I jump in I thought I would throw the space out there for the brain trust to look at. I wish I had time to learn sketch up as my flat tcad pic seems archaic compared to what others whip up... ;-)

Lots more to come. Please share thoughts!

Room uses/purpose
Home movie night!
Watching sports
Separate TV for kids games

Ever changing (and open to ideas) AV
Epson Powerlite 3020 projector (the Room has two large windows but will be well light controlled
Painted screen (120 should fit nicely)
Yamaha RXA 1020 Receiver
Home brew media server - 8 tb of goodness!
Replace my WD Live TV with a Popcorn Hour/Dune TBD
New blueray DVD to replace dying sony DVD
Speakers - In wall type, yet tbd
Gaming - LCD/Plasma yet tbd, maybe zoned sound, tbd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 05-14-2013, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter

This is the general layout. To the left are the steps upstairs. Also a door to my workshop area with steps up to garage. The bump out at the top has a door to a patio below a deck. The screen will go on the far right wall. This wall will have to be framed. Bottom right of the pic is door to a storage closet that will be formed when the new wall is framed. This is also where the cabinets with our without the sink will go. The green walls are the rough in area for the bath. Not moving!
post #3 of 18 Old 05-14-2013, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 335
The big question for these types of spaces is: what and how many activities do you expect to be going on simultaneously?

I can tell you from experience that a "gaming" setup in the same room as a movie-watching screen will NOT work if you think they will be used at the same time. They must be in separate rooms divided by walls and doors...

My previous home had an open game room with a balcony, which looked down into the family room where my movie/TV area was. I had a pinball machine in the game room - and no one could play it while a movie was on, as the noise from both the game and the players was unacceptable. A video game console + kids will yield the same results...

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #4 of 18 Old 05-14-2013, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

This was something I whipped up on a free room planner online. We toyed with the idea of reclaiming part of my workshop as an arcade space but have since decided against it. The nice thing about this pic is you get a good idea of the space with some furniture sizing for scale. Don't trust this one as much as the tcad pic for size. I did it quick and dirty without exact measurements. Back of napkin type thoughts.

Eric

post #5 of 18 Old 05-14-2013, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter

Jeff,

Great thoughts on the gaming. May have to rethink that. I doubt we would ever use both at once. Was more thinking of keeping them off the projector for games. Maybe I don't share well with the kids...... rolleyes.gif

The room will be mixed use completely. I know it wont be a best case theater as we have 4 kids from 8-14. LOTS of kids in and out and the basement is where we try to keep them.

Eric
post #6 of 18 Old 05-14-2013, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricNE View Post

Great thoughts on the gaming. May have to rethink that. I doubt we would ever use both at once.

With four kids, I suspect all aspects of that space may get used simultaneously. "DAD! Billy won't turn down the video gamessssssss!!!!!" biggrin.gif
Quote:
Was more thinking of keeping them off the projector for games. Maybe I don't share well with the kids...... rolleyes.gif

No, if anything keeping the high-hour count off the expensive lamp is not a bad idea...
Quote:
The room will be mixed use completely. I know it wont be a best case theater as we have 4 kids from 8-14. LOTS of kids in and out and the basement is where we try to keep them.

See above - even without parents involved in any of the basement activities, you're probably going to have conflicts. "Best case" isn't what I'd be concerned about - it's the ability to use the room for one of its purposes without throwing everyone else out.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 

post #7 of 18 Old 05-14-2013, 09:49 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 52
Looks like a fun space, I think the kids will love it.

Jautor is right that you will have conflicts, but I would say go ahead anyway.

I had a basement area like this in a prior home, and yes we had conflicts, but after a little while the kids figured it out on their own. smile.gif

Unrelated to the theater, I think you could rework your bathroom layout to be much more efficient.
post #8 of 18 Old 05-15-2013, 05:45 AM

Liked: 11
I agree, go ahead, there will be times when you want to use both. Can always get a couple of sets of headphones for the gaming area.
post #9 of 18 Old 05-15-2013, 07:12 AM - Thread Starter

Hey thanks for thoughts guys!

90% sure the flat panel will be part of the final plan. Had an idea for reclaiming the space under the steps as AV closet. Gets me 18 feet closer to the network bridge and slightly closer to where the projector will hang. Also gives me my geeky closet dedicated to electronics.

Warren, I'm all ears on the bathroom. The shower and toilet are roughed in pretty much as drawn and I don't have much interest in cutting concrete to move them. Vanity can go anywhere. We have thought long about having shower or not and are opting for it as it makes the basement a great place for friends/family to stay during visits.

Still need to get the "before" pics.

I promise, more to come.

Eric
post #10 of 18 Old 05-15-2013, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, playing with iPhone. Wall where screen will be. Roughly the width of old entertainment center an from top of said center to bottom of tv screen.
post #11 of 18 Old 05-15-2013, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter

Wall where I wi likely hang flat panel. Door goes to my shop. Steps up stairs to the left and the lovely blue sheet is over the patio door to the right.
post #12 of 18 Old 05-15-2013, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, use you imagination. The shower rough in is below the white play table with the barn on it. The toilet rough in is below the right end of the white dresser. Love to hear those ideas Warren!
post #13 of 18 Old 05-15-2013, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter

Area for counter and sink us where the chrome wire shelves are. The area behind will be walled off as storage.
post #14 of 18 Old 05-15-2013, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter

Toying with an l shaped counter between those black posts and on down the wall. Maybe a fridge there or the sink there backing up to the wall of the bathroom.
post #15 of 18 Old 05-23-2013, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter

OK, did some thinking on AV equipment. This is the upper end of what I will even try to convince my wife I want to buy. Share thoughts and comments please! Not more expensive but have I missed lower priced or better for the price options?

Epson Powerlite 5020 $2600 on Crutchfield and others (pretty much set on this one but looking at 3020 as well)
Painted screen
Denon AVR-4311 CI $1600 on Crutchfield (I have two Harmon Kardons upstairs and love them but have to say I am disappointed with what I have read about newer models)
Front Left and Right Polk 265 RT ~$200 each (Have to be in wall as wife really does not like the look of stand alone or on wall)
Center channel Polk 255 C-RT ~$350
Side Left and Right Polk 620 RT ~ $150 each (Can't do in wall or on wall because of room shape and window)
Sub(s) TBD but I would like to keep under $350-400
DVD and Media player TBD
Flat panel for games TBD but likely <$ and picked up at Costco etc as will only be for gaming.

That's about $6000 and I have to say, WAY more than I thought starting out. I would love to hear thoughts of others who have done this before and have alternatives or constructive suggestions.

Eric
post #16 of 18 Old 05-25-2013, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

I'd suggest putting more of your budget into speakers, stealing from the AVR. The Denon is quite nice, but there are other models / brands for half of that price, and $800 more into speakers will make a much bigger impact to the system than whatever differences there are in the AVR. Unless there's something specific and unique to the 4311 that you must have... Concentrate on the LCR speakers - the surrounds will be fine.

And great choice on the projector. That and speakers should be your primary $$ items.

Jeff

post #17 of 18 Old 05-28-2013, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricNE View Post

OK, did some thinking on AV equipment. This is the upper end of what I will even try to convince my wife I want to buy. Share thoughts and comments please! Not more expensive but have I missed lower priced or better for the price options?

I wouldn't buy any equipment until the room is close to being finished, even if you are hiring out the work. You can look at the equipment to get an idea of what you want to do in the room and design accordingly. But if you buy the equipment early you will either (A) have it sit in boxes while you finish out the room or (B) set it up in an incomplete room and never finish the room. There is a lot of time involved in finishing an area like yours; if you read a bunch of the build threads here you'll see that it isn't unusual for a build to take years to finish.

Chris

"It hurts to admit when you make mistakes - but when they are big enough, the pain only lasts a second."
--Despair, Inc. "Regret"

My AviaTrix TM Build
post #18 of 18 Old 05-28-2013, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Don't forget to set aside money for a screen. Visit the DIY section if interested in saving some $$.

I'd agree about buying your components. I bought my AVR and speakers months ago, they've been sitting in boxes. Don't waste the warranty in boxes.

"Damn, you can't get black levels like that on your projector!"
- My brother, just before he realized his LED display had died.

Link to my Basement build
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1529034/conspiracy-basement-build
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page