Speaker wire conduits - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 05-17-2013, 06:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm familiar with using conduit for things like Ethernet cable or HDMI, but do people also use a conduit (flexible / PVC) for speaker cable? If so...:

1.) Do they run a separate conduit for each speaker location since they're in varying locations?
2.) Is flexible or PVC preferred?
3.) Do you terminate at a banana binding post wall plate or just punch a tiny hole and pull the wire through?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-17-2013, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked: 374
First, when we talk about flex conduit it's in the context of future-proofing, so the conduits are installed empty. Any low volt cables are run outside of the conduit to save it for the future...

Flex conduit is usually preferred because it's much easier to install.

We don't normally see conduit runs to speaker locations because the only thing that is likely to be installed there is a speaker. Wall plates vs. small holes maybe with a grommet is a matter of preference and to me depends on where the hole will be and if a speaker is guaranteed to be there...

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #3 of 10 Old 05-17-2013, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 81
+1 I'd just install the speaker cables, without conduit, to the speaker locations.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #4 of 10 Old 05-18-2013, 06:26 AM - Thread Starter

Great, thanks fellas.
post #5 of 10 Old 06-11-2013, 12:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 58
What about for "future proofing". In case there comes out a better speaker cable. Or maybe the speaker wire goes bad somehow, unless that is very rare I don't know.

post #6 of 10 Old 06-11-2013, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked: 374
Nothing is going to replace speaker wire. It's copper wire.

But the "what if one breaks" is valid - the question is one of cost vs. risk. Odds of a damaged speaker wire vs. the cost / hassle of adding conduit to all those runs. Speaker wire is much harder to damage as it's a big wire. Nicking a cat6 cable can break one of the conductors - to kill a speaker wire it needs to be hit direct with a nail to cause a short, or cut it completely.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #7 of 10 Old 06-11-2013, 07:37 PM

I've used pvc conduit of different sizes to accommodate different speaker/cable/HDMI cable. Painted with Rustolium aluminum paint. No joints are glued, just friction fit. The only problem was that the speaker wire didn't slide easily in the pipe and had to be pushed/pulled through each piece and angle as I assembled it.
post #8 of 10 Old 06-11-2013, 08:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

Nothing is going to replace speaker wire.
Well, assuming you put in the appropriate gauge, you probably aren't going to be replacing it with more speaker wire. But if you move the amplifier into each speaker cabinet, you could be replacing speaker wire with something for line level audio or a digital signal.

In any case, the best thing to do is to run empty conduit with a pull string for future needs. If the speaker cable needs to be replaced, just abandon it and pull the new stuff in the conduit.
post #9 of 10 Old 06-11-2013, 10:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Shaunthesheep - you should use gentle bends/sweeps and not 90 degrees bends, in your conduit. But, it does look great. Nice job!
vivatech likes this.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #10 of 10 Old 06-12-2013, 08:02 PM

Thank you. The room was already finished when we bought the house and was set up as a family/rec room. There are several areas that had inside and outside corners. Rather than making holes in the walls and trying to fish wires through the walls, this was easier. And since the walls were all finished, instead of creating a component tower/rack, I laid everything out on wire shelves painted the same beep blue as the back wall just below the screen.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page