Starting a new basement - Looking for input, esp. on ceiling treatment - AVS Forum
General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms > Starting a new basement - Looking for input, esp. on ceiling treatment
lozenp's Avatar lozenp 01:47 PM 05-17-2013
I'm just starting the build out on my basement. It's going to be a multipurpose/theater. It's a ranch so there's about 1400 sq. ft. of space.

Here's the plan. I REALLY don't want to drywall the ceiling. It's a low height and there's tons of mechanical above. My plan is to use wood slats/flooring overhead in the area where the projector is. The beam runs at the outside edge of that room, making a natural break. I'm guessing for the remainder I'd spray a flat black.

I know I wouldn't be able to do total sound proofing above a plank ceiling, but plan to install roxul above it. I had also heard about a product that you could install above ceilings, like a roll of rubber material or something, to help with sound issues. Ideas?

Open to thoughts on paint or examples/thoughts on wood plank ceilings.

The other two issues:

1. Is it worth building the screen wall 30-inches deep to build an equipment rack into the wall vs. a equipment stand or something else? Also, do people prefer running a ton of wire into the equipment rack area for multiple outlets or run a single drop for a power conditioner?

2. The door in front of the furnace/water heater. I'd like it to be wide enough to have access to the mechanical and remove/replace if needed. This would be MUCH wider than a standard door. Thoughts include barn door (though the beam causes issues), pocket door (again, beam issues), or bi-fold of some sort. Any thoughts/examples would be welcome.



BeerParty's Avatar BeerParty 03:56 PM 05-17-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by lozenp View Post

1. Is it worth building the screen wall 30-inches deep to build an equipment rack into the wall vs. a equipment stand or something else?

The answer depends on whether you plan to build an acoustically transparent wall and put you LCR speakers and a sub or two behind it. If you are planning to do this, then a 'thick' wall makes sense, otherwise you would probably be better off building cabinets to hold your equipment on either side of your screen.
BeerParty's Avatar BeerParty 04:01 PM 05-17-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by lozenp View Post

2. The door in front of the furnace/water heater. I'd like it to be wide enough to have access to the mechanical and remove/replace if needed. This would be MUCH wider than a standard door. Thoughts include barn door (though the beam causes issues), pocket door (again, beam issues), or bi-fold of some sort. Any thoughts/examples would be welcome.

Why not just widen the opening and install a double door? You can get them in widths from 48" to 60" from just about any home center. If you buy an external door it should seal up well enough to muffle the noise from the equipment.
BeerParty's Avatar BeerParty 04:04 PM 05-17-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by lozenp View Post

Here's the plan. I REALLY don't want to drywall the ceiling. It's a low height and there's tons of mechanical above. My plan is to use wood slats/flooring overhead in the area where the projector is. The beam runs at the outside edge of that room, making a natural break. I'm guessing for the remainder I'd spray a flat black.

I know I wouldn't be able to do total sound proofing above a plank ceiling, but plan to install roxul above it. I had also heard about a product that you could install above ceilings, like a roll of rubber material or something, to help with sound issues. Ideas?

Are you going to add a wall to create a room for the HT area, or will it stay open to the rest of the basement? If it is going to stay open I wouldn't worry about sound transmission through the ceiling, most of the sound will leak up through the rest of the basement (especially the stairwell).
lozenp's Avatar lozenp 02:10 PM 07-01-2013
Framing is done. Thanks all for great ideas. Couple more questions:

1. I'm assuming cablewholesale and monoprice are best two spots to look for speaker wire. Any other ideas or speaker wire suggestions?

2. Looking for creative solution to allow for access to back of equipment cabinet from the wall of another room. If you look at the above graphic in the top right you see a smaller room and then the larger theater room in the top middle. The equipment location is indicated there, and I want to go into the wall of the smaller room to get to the back of the equipment. I suppose I could use closet doors, but curious if anyone has seen any other cool options.

3. Finally, looking for suggestions on long (at least 25 ft.) HDMI runs and best places for cables that will hold up over that distance to a projector.
Up
Mobile  Desktop