Home Theater equipment to TV problems ("extended" run) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 05-21-2013, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So here's my setup:

Comcast Cable box and PS3 connected to an Onkyo TX-SR607 running from my closet over HDMI to Cat6 to a Vizio 42" TV. Everything had been more or less fine for the past (audio/visual would cut out when running anything powerful on the same circuit), but recently I had been doing some work in the attic with power tools and now I can't get any video signal out of the receiver/cable box/PS3 if I run it over any kind of an extender.

I bought a powered HDMI extender to attempt to boost the signal, but this doesn't seem to help either. I've tried after the Cat6 extenders, before the Cat6 extenders, extending HDMI to HDMI and I still get nothing. I've tried all the permutations of different equipment that I can from each of the media devices in the closet, but still can't get any sort of an extended signal. Any thoughts/suggestions? I can clarify any points of what I've done if I haven't been clear enough... Thanks for any help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-22-2013, 02:52 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 28
sounds like you need to spend some time narrowing down the potential sources of problems. start by connecting a known good HDMI source directly to your display with a known good HDMI cable, verify it works, then start adding your HDMI extension components piece by piece. Doesn't need to be in the wall, you just need to verify what components work and which don't. If all the HDMI components test good outside the walls and ceiling, try powering your HDMI source by extension cord from it's normal location and see if the problem persists. HDMI circuits can be very sensitive to surges or low voltage, if you have been overworking the circuit with the AV gear plugged in, especially if it was turned on, you may have damaged something. Onkyo receiver, I'm looking in your direction.

underachiever extraordinaire
post #3 of 4 Old 05-24-2013, 08:06 PM

Liked: 13
If you're getting power to everything ( displays lighting up etc.) but not getting a video image I'd say look at resetting the Onkyo . I have the HT RC460 from onkyo , it was working great for about 3 days after the latest firmware update , then it started dropping the video out signal . Audio would still play through the receiver but HDMI out wouldn't until I powered down , unplug then replug the HDMI to my plasma , sometimes several times. This was a known issue on the older firmware , but didn't start happening to me until I took the update that was supposed to fix it. I can't remember how to reset Onkyo now , but C.S. was very helpful

“Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”---Mark Twain
post #4 of 4 Old 06-11-2013, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Thanks to both of you for replying! And I apologize for not updating sooner, but a new baby complicated things!

I ended up doing a very thorough check with a smaller TV, for as many combinations that I could think of, and did narrow it down to the receiver (I don't know if I can do firmware updates on this one? There are no Internet connections to it, and nothing in the manual...). So I found a local electronics repair shop and brought it in, and in the meantime went strait from my cable box to the TV.

This worked well for about a day... then that HDMI input stopped working, moved to #2, worked for a while, #3 and #4 wouldn't work at all. Lo and behold, the repair guy calls me back asking if anything else wasn't working. His best guess was a power surge. All of my A/V equipment in the closet is on surge protectors... but my TV, where I've been meaning to move the plug up behind the TV to finish off my "wireless" home theater setup, wasn't on a surge protector anymore! So what must have happened is a surge hit the TV, backtracked to the receiver and stopped there...

I'm now debating to take the TV in for repair (Vizio SV421XVT), or purchase a new one in my current budget range (Vizio E470i-A0).

If anyone has any thoughts on that I'd be grateful!
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page