Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 05-23-2013, 06:05 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Hi everyone,

I'm doing my attic home theater on a budget, and am using (mostly succcessfully) black felt on part of the ceiling to minimize projector/screen reflections. Here's a 'before' pic of the room so you can get a sense of the ceiling:

So now that the projector and screen are set up, I did a swath of black felt to basically create a "tent" above the screen. The felt does a really good job of minimizing reflections...not as good as velvet, but good enough for my purposes.

The left side slope and the flat part of the ceiling were no problem. But the right side slope presented a problem as our finished attic's walls are not that straight, so a continuous piece of felt couldn't be stapled to the ceiling without tons of wrinkles being visible. So what I did was cut the right side swath into 2 pieces and mount them separately.

The seam is pretty tight and I was able to color the staples with a sharpie so they don't reflect any light. The problem is, during bright scenes, the seam is a line (where the 2 pieces of fabric 'meld' together) I can see out of my peripheral vision and it's distracting. I'm trying to come up with a way to hide the seam so it's not as noticeable.

Here's a pic of the right side with a dotted line added to indicate the seam (the seam doesn't show up in photos very well at all):

I tried some matte black paper tape that photographers use, which I bought from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000QC8HIE/ref=pe_175190_21431760_3p_M3T1_ST1_dp_1

However, this tape, while not that reflective, is more reflective than the black felt and is quite noticable. Also, it doesn't stick to the felt very well.

Any ideas? I thought about covering the seam with some other fabric, but then I would have two new seams to deal with. smile.gif

Thanks,

Chris

Epson 5020UB (won on AVSForum!) on Elite Sable 16:9 100", Oppo BDP-83 & 93 (ISO firmware), Dune HD Base 3.0, Darblet, Sony MDR-DS7500 Wireless Surround Headphones & Onkyo TX-SR707
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-23-2013, 06:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Put another 4" piece of felt under seam so the seam is over the same felt..
post #3 of 10 Old 05-23-2013, 07:07 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Heh. smile.gif No, that white dotted line is only an indication of the seam. I actually see no wall showing through the seam. I was able to abut/join the two pieces of felt really well. What I'm seeing is the line where the two pieces of felt meet. It's similar to if there were a wrinkle in the felt in a straight line.

I will fully admit to being super anal about how this looks, but since the other two swaths are nice continuous pieces of felt with no breaks, I was kinda disappointed with how "crappily" the right hand side went up.

Epson 5020UB (won on AVSForum!) on Elite Sable 16:9 100", Oppo BDP-83 & 93 (ISO firmware), Dune HD Base 3.0, Darblet, Sony MDR-DS7500 Wireless Surround Headphones & Onkyo TX-SR707
post #4 of 10 Old 05-23-2013, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

As you say Velvet is the best, you had to make a compromise and the 2 price install was yet another compromise..
You will get used to it, just imagine how it would look if it was still White! eek.gif

How about some double sided carpet tape under the seam so both edges will be 100% flat?
post #5 of 10 Old 05-23-2013, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post

How about some double sided carpet tape under the seam so both edges will be 100% flat?

The felt is actually fairly flat as it is installed currently. When a bright scene comes on, the felt is "lit up" and obviously does a much better job of absorbing the light than the white walls could ever do (it was washing out the picture terribly before the felt went up).

What I'm seeing that's distracting is not a bulge in the felt, it's literally the line where the two pieces of felt meet. There is no overlap between the two pieces...they simply rest against each other. But that line where I had to cut the original big piece of felt is what I'm seeing. A friend of mine suggested a patch (5" strip of felt placed over the existing seam), but adhered with glue, not staples. Not sure how noticeable or not that would be.

post #6 of 10 Old 05-23-2013, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Actually maybe a very large patch so the top and bottom of the patch are farther out of your viewing cone?
post #7 of 10 Old 05-24-2013, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post

Actually maybe a very large patch so the top and bottom of the patch are farther out of your viewing cone?

Funny you should mention that...I think that's exactly what I'm going to do...tried a temp patch last night (with thumb tacks) and the edges of a large patch aren't noticeable because the top and bottom of the patch are futher away from the screen. In my own stupidity, I made the current seam right where the screen is closest to the sloped ceiling...that's why it shows up so easily currently. A tall patch would minimize the visible seams on the top and bottom of the patch.

post #8 of 10 Old 05-24-2013, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Try applying your patch with 3m 44 Spray Adhesive on the back of the patch so that you can smooth it down as tight as can be. Just apply the patch flat, meaning don't worry about folding the edges under or anything. That's how I did the black GOM FR703 behind my screen and seams are invisible. Use the spray on the back of the patch only...if you do both surfaces it becomes pretty permanante.

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends
Need motivation? Get LOGANED
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1014847

An as-yet un-named theater designed by Big-WarrenP-BritInVA
post #9 of 10 Old 05-24-2013, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Will the 3M 44 allow felt to adhere to felt? The challenge here is that my felt patch will only be sticking to the felt underneath, and no other materials (like wood, etc).

post #10 of 10 Old 05-28-2013, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Yes, that's what it's designed for. You can buy it (or it SHOULD be able to buy it) at your local fabric store, if not craft store. As I said, I used it to adhere GOM fabric to itself and also to adhere the fabric to duct liner. It gets VERY sticky so be careful when spraying it.

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends
Need motivation? Get LOGANED
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1014847

An as-yet un-named theater designed by Big-WarrenP-BritInVA
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page