Yorkshire Build - Open Entertainment + Media Viewing - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 05-24-2013, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 90
A little back story. I got bit with the projector bug in 2003 when I got my Z2. However...that is ten years ago. A lot has changed and we moved to a "much nicer" digs; guess that was our luck by buying less that we could afford the first time. So, we are now finishing the basement. With all things between two people that live together, there are compromises. However, I don't think any of them are bad enough to be upset about.

Basically it is an open concept basement room. The wife likes to entertain...and I still have a projector addiction. Target:
  • 1000 square feet finished with 100 square foot bathroom
  • Projector Wall (me) w/ comfy sectional couch (her)
  • Bar Area
  • Open area for "kids toys" (someday)
  • Table area for card games
  • 4 zone heating
  • < $35k excluding theater gear and furniture

While the budget may seem large ($35 per square foot), we are tiling the bathroom and shower..and the cabinets are definitely not home depot quality. We have a working relationship with a company called the Cabinetry Shop (http://www.cabinetryshop.net/). The relationship is simple; they do time and materials on construction but fixed cost on the cabinets. This way they are assured to break even on construction and assure profit on the cabinets. It helps reduce our costs but manage their risk. Because of this, they have been extremely helpful on layout and ideas.

The construction has already begun in some aspects. We have already had plumbing done, tiled delivered (where it will sit for months..could resist a 30% discount), and 4-zone HVAC (was cheaper than 3 zone) put in. This is stuff that had to be done in advance so we can start "the real work". But...as you can see the by the picture below, things are getting "real".

More to follow on the plumbing and HVAC once I get my camera back.

I must be guilty because people say I am guilty because they chose to call me guilty because they refuse to see the truth. Much easier to be part of the mob..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-28-2013, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Looks like a good plan. Just one piece of advise - if you really want to be able to put 4 people at the bar, you'll want a longer bar. While it looks good on the drawing, in reality you will need more space for 4 people to use it comfortably. I have a 10' bar in my kitchen and it can only comfortably sit 3 people unless one of the people sits on the end.

Chris

"It hurts to admit when you make mistakes - but when they are big enough, the pain only lasts a second."
--Despair, Inc. "Regret"

My AviaTrix TM Build
post #3 of 6 Old 05-28-2013, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the input! I think the wife has already decided to elongate the bar.

In reality, Most things in the basement are set in stone "yet". Since we are intentionally dragging the project over a few months (I guess 3-4)...it is more of "hrm, I think this would work better". For example, I really don't know my throw depth on the projector yet. It will be somewhere between 13-14 feet. While this may not seem like much..it makes a big difference on trying to get a 130" screen with the current gen of PJ's in the 2.5-4k range. What I do know is there will be four 18" SI woofer behind the screen come hell or high water. tongue.gif

Contractor should be here tomorrow to start framing.

I must be guilty because people say I am guilty because they chose to call me guilty because they refuse to see the truth. Much easier to be part of the mob..
post #4 of 6 Old 05-28-2013, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Some updates.

Plumbing. The original work done before we bought the home was pretty bad for basement plumbing layout. Brought in a licensed plumber who is a friend. While not as cheap as doing ourselves..we have a catch. In our city you MUST have a licensed plumber and license electrician do all work which would be considered behind wall/hidden/etc. In short...you can't do it "yourself". So finding friends is a good way to reduce the heavy burden of a plumbers bill rate.

HVAC. We landed up going with 4 zone heating/cooling. We originally planned on 3 (basement, first, second). However, since our bedroom is effectively above area one (1) in the first post, it landed up being cheaper to go with four in terms of duct work from the contractor. In short...going with ONE more zone saved us nearly 2 grand!

Lesson learned...don't just ask for what you want, see what else they can do..you don't have to say yes. I've seen the Aprilaire kits. But in this case, what we paid vs Aprilaire cost was less than $500 difference...and I have somebody to bitch to when it doesn't work. Only odd thing is the second floor is on a wireless unit. This again saved us nearly $500 by not having to fish a wire. It works pretty well, plus you can take it form room to room. So when we have guests, we can cool//heat their room effectively just by turning on/off the dampers in each room. I call it a win all around.

Last..electrical. The panel is the corner where the bar is. As most people know you need 30" x 36" box around the cabinet that "does not impede progress". Well after talking with the city inspector and our contractor (who also is doing the cabinets), we have a solution. The picture in post #1 isn't quite correct. We have a 32" wide cabinet going in that corner which will not have floor/shelves OR ceiling panel. It is the same cabinet style you use to hide a washer/dryer stack. This way we don't have to have a horrible compromise (e.g. non-symmetry or moving the panel). The cabinet is more expensive (nearly an extra $1000 vs a normal 32" cabinet). However, it will gives us the look we are wanting.

There also used to be a pile of phone/network wires and coax. I cleaned it all up. Since that area will remain open via the cabinet discussed up above, I'll finish it up by putting an 8 port GigE switch in there. While not the most ideal, I think I've done the best with the hand dealt to me. Maybe someday if wireless is "reliable" for video streaming..this will all not be needed.

Welp..that is all for now.

post #5 of 6 Old 05-30-2013, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trepidati0n View Post

Thanks for the input! I think the wife has already decided to elongate the bar.

There are excellent bar builds in some of the threads here. If you have not decided on a final size/style yet I encourage you to review them for ideas.

Chris

"It hurts to admit when you make mistakes - but when they are big enough, the pain only lasts a second."
--Despair, Inc. "Regret"

My AviaTrix TM Build
post #6 of 6 Old 06-05-2013, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Time for more pictures. Framing is going well. Their of course have been minor changes as things get built and then realize "that won't quite work". Probably a dozen 2x4's and a hour worth of work.

First of all, the bathroom (zone 4). We only have 8' in the basement. If I was building a house it would be 10'. But..I didn't built it...just bought it. Overall, it feels good now. This was the room with the most rework in terms of framing. But now the room feels "right". Tiled shower on the front right, vanity on the front left. Toilet will be in the back right. Closet in the back right. Overall, it works good. Only thing is because of ducting we are coming right down to the 7' level that code requires. Can win them all..

Main room framing area (e.g. looking and zone 1 and 2 from zone 3 is about as good as we can expect. We will get near full ceiling height. The re-working of duct work on the back wall was the only issue which is pulling that wall 6" away from the concrete. However, I'm glad I have that much depth. My guess is DE will crucify me for saying this..but I have a vertical "base trap" Also, if I ever change into in-walls instead of a false wall (details on this in later posts)...I have the depth to do so. tongue.gif

One thing I asked when we selected our contractor was "how do you build sofits" (especially after seeing all the Holmes on homes episodes). Their answer was "with at least 2x4's". Well, they built this one like a tank. The drywall guy can't miss with screws unless drunk and I hung from it (200lbs+). They have a few more to build but I shouldn't be worried.

Nothing really more to say right now. Framing is framing. A good thing about this being "general purpose" type basement...I won't get green glue stuck on everything under the sun. biggrin.gif

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page