Kuip's Theater Build - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-25-2013, 10:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey All, I finally get to build my own home entertainment/media room. I am new to all this so that is why I am starting these thread. I want to get as much input from you all out there as possible.

The room will be a part of my basment which is unfinished at the moment but is in the process of becoming livable space. I am trying to do almost 100% of the work myself and right now I am just wiring up the outlets and hanging the lights. Most of the framing is complete. Below is a layout of the basement right now. It is really two rooms, the top room being the unfinished media room where I am doing most of the work in right now. It is odd shaped being almost 34' long and 14' wide in the middle. The TV will go on the wall on the right and the main seating area or couch will be 15 feet or so left of that. The bottom room is half finished right now and will be more of a play area for the kids.

I guess I cant really call it a theater as it will be more of a family room but I am planning to have the following:
- 60 to 70 inch TV
- 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound
- Receiver
- PS3
- DVR
I am still researching and budgeting what the above components will look like.

s will be.

I have also included some pictures of my basement as it stands now. As I said, the drywalled room is the playroom with the studded wall being the media room. The TV will go on an entertainment center under the small window

G]the pictures.

I will following up in the coming days with more as I continue through this process.
Thanks All
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2013, 10:19 PM - Thread Starter

To clarify, the media room is the room on the right with the smaller room on the left being the play room. There is a large door with two large openings on either side breaking these two rooms up. The TV will be on the wall on the bottom of the layout as shown above.
Old 05-26-2013, 06:47 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Looks good cant wait to see how it goes.

My Basement HT/Gaming/Bar Space.

Official Hip Hop Thread

Equipment

Epson 8350 on a 100" Visual Apex screen, Pioneer VSX-53, Polk RTi A5(x2) CSi 5 RTi A1 (x2) RTi 4(x2), Outlaw Audio LFM-1 EX, PS3, XBox 360 with HD-DVD add-on.
Old 05-26-2013, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter

So its only been a day since I started this thread, but I am hoping to already get some input. I have been wiring up the outlets and lights the last few days and as that finishes up I am starting to turn my attention to wiring up speakers and the rest of the AV equipment. My plan is to have an entertainment center as drawn below and build an AV equipment cupboard about 6-7 feet to the left of the TV (also shown in the below picture).

Below is a sketch of my wiring diagram for everything. I hope people can read it. Please let me know if you think I am missing anything. A fear of mine is finishing everything up and then realizing I am missing a wire hear or there.

Should I have a cable added for Ipod hookup? Also, does anyone have any thoughts about good cable splitters? I am hoping to limit the number of splits needed between the main cable box and the incoming signal.

I appreciate everyones comments. Thanks
Old 05-28-2013, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Have you ever given thought to skipping the TV and going with a projector and screen? You could keep the built-ins and just scale them back big enough to fit a 100" screen in there. I've been through 4 TV's each bigger than the last before I made the jump to projector and I still can't figure out what took so long.

"Damn, you can't get black levels like that on your projector!"
- My brother, just before he realized his LED display had died.

Link to my Basement build
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1529034/conspiracy-basement-build
Old 06-02-2013, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter

I have given some thought to the projector and think I would like it, however this room will also be used for alot of casual TV watching so I think a TV might just be easier. Plus the wife is anti-projector. Plus if it is used for alot of TV I would be worried about bulbs and the lifespan of a projector vs. a TV.

Anyone else have any thoughts on my wiring situation. I want to make sure I dont miss anything.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:59 PM - Thread Starter

Any thoughts on the above wiring configuration? Hoping to start pulling the A/V wires Saturday.
Old 06-23-2013, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter

I am looking for some help with my Coax cables. As you can see from above, I have alot of TVs located througout the house.

Right now I am planning to have three splitters in order to get the cable to all the TVs (as shown in the above schematic). My plan was to use a 3-way splitter right away and run two of those outputs to my modem and main cable box that will feed my big screen. I was hoping to do this because I know the more you split the line the more signal degradation you get. Splitters 2 & 3 would be used to feed my other TVs.

Anyone have a better idea on how to do this? Would it make more sense to have just one big splitter and split everything off at once?
Also, anyone know where to get good quality splitters? Is there such a thing as a good splitter vs. a low quality one?
Should I have an amplifier or something to boost my feed to my theater TV and modem?

Any help is apprecaited. Thanks
Old 06-23-2013, 09:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 81
First split should be a 2-way, and not a 3-way. Keep all of your splitters/amps in the same location - all cables should be run back to that 1 location. I suggest a low voltage enclosure to house the amps/splitters.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
Old 06-23-2013, 09:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad View Post

First split should be a 2-way, and not a 3-way. Keep all of your splitters/amps in the same location - all cables should be run back to that 1 location. I suggest a low voltage enclosure to house the amps/splitters.

So are you saying I should have a two way splitter (one to modem, other to next splitter), and then the second splitter should split to all 7 TVs, including my main theater TV? Will there be too much loss with a 7 or 8 way splitter? I dont want to reduce picture quality in my main theater TV (70").
Old 06-24-2013, 09:41 PM - Thread Starter

I would like to know about the above splitter questions, but I also have a question on my speaker wire. I am running 14awg wires for all my speakers but can I run that same wire in-wall for my subwoofer? Or do I need to run another wire through the wall for the subwoofer?
Old 06-26-2013, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuip64 View Post

So are you saying I should have a two way splitter (one to modem, other to next splitter), and then the second splitter should split to all 7 TVs, including my main theater TV? Will there be too much loss with a 7 or 8 way splitter? I dont want to reduce picture quality in my main theater TV (70").

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuip64 View Post

I would like to know about the above splitter questions, but I also have a question on my speaker wire. I am running 14awg wires for all my speakers but can I run that same wire in-wall for my subwoofer? Or do I need to run another wire through the wall for the subwoofer?

Anyone have thoughts on the above two items. I am looking to order cables, splitters, etc. and could use the help. Thanks,
Old 08-31-2013, 08:43 PM - Thread Starter

Figured out the cable situation for my home/media room. I have one splitter on a cable line coming in with one of the two lines going to my modem and the other line heading to my two splitters that will route cable to multiple TVs including the basement, upstairs, patio, bedrooms and garage smile.gif. Below is a picture of the two splitters used.
Old 08-31-2013, 08:46 PM - Thread Starter

Picture of splitters
Old 08-31-2013, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter

Also have speaker wires ran for side and back speakers.

All lines run for AV cab (some speakers wire and cable)

Next steps are to wire the lines for the TV and frame the wall to support the Monoprice mount that will be used for the 60-70" TV

Tags
Playstation 3 160gb System