New home, first HT...Help! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 05-30-2013, 08:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all. New house so time for my first ever Home Theater room. Looking for some insight on how to go about things from all you experts. My new but very modest set up...

16.5 ft L x 9.75 ft W x 9 ft H room
front wall is approx 100" wide plus a weird angled side wall next to door
already wired for 5.1 but may try for 7.1 stereo set up

Walls will be painted dark red, ceiling black
3 seats in back row on riser (riser is only 54" x 117" - that enough for 3 seats in back)?, 2 seats in front
Front seats will be approx 9-10 ft from screen, back row will be approx 14-15 ft
Celing light will be removed and projector mounted there
3 side wall lights will be converted to dimmable ones- no windows present so will be light controlled
Projector will be a BenQ 1070
Stereo equipment is an older Onkyo home-theater in a box (not sure where sub placement will be as of now?)
Screen will be a 100" Elite Fixed EzFrame
Main uses will be 50% gaming 50% HD/Blu-ray movies

What do you guys think? I would like to get as large of a screen as possible (male ego). I think 100" would fit well on the 100" wide front wall but that won't leave much room on either side of screen for the front speakers (approx 13" total). Will putting my front speakers close to the side wall really affect sound performance that much? I'm no audiophile but I don't want it to sound distorted or anything. Should i just opt for a 92" screen to free up some wall space on either side of screen to improve speaker placement or possibly put the front speaker on approx 2-3 ft stands at either side of the screen for now? Not looking for a pro build since this is my first attempt but want it to be functional.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-30-2013, 09:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by determined View Post

Hi all. New house so time for my first ever Home Theater room. Looking for some insight on how to go about things from all you experts. My new but very modest set up...

16.5 ft L x 9.75 ft W x 9 ft H room
front wall is approx 100" wide plus a weird angled side wall next to door
already wired for 5.1 but may try for 7.1 stereo set up

Walls will be painted dark red, ceiling black
3 seats in back row on riser (riser is only 54" x 117" - that enough for 3 seats in back)?, 2 seats in front
Front seats will be approx 9-10 ft from screen, back row will be approx 14-15 ft
Celing light will be removed and projector mounted there
3 side wall lights will be converted to dimmable ones- no windows present so will be light controlled
Projector will be a BenQ 1070
Stereo equipment is an older Onkyo home-theater in a box (not sure where sub placement will be as of now?)
Screen will be a 100" Elite Fixed EzFrame
Main uses will be 50% gaming 50% HD/Blu-ray movies

What do you guys think? I would like to get as large of a screen as possible (male ego). I think 100" would fit well on the 100" wide front wall but that won't leave much room on either side of screen for the front speakers (approx 13" total). Will putting my front speakers close to the side wall really affect sound performance that much? I'm no audiophile but I don't want it to sound distorted or anything. Should i just opt for a 92" screen to free up some wall space on either side of screen to improve speaker placement or possibly put the front speaker on approx 2-3 ft stands at either side of the screen for now? Not looking for a pro build since this is my first attempt but want it to be functional.

Is one of your dimensions incorrect?

Also make sure that the BenQ will project the correct size image from where you plan on mounting it.

My Basement HT/Gaming/Bar Space.

Official Hip Hop Thread

Equipment

Epson 8350 on a 100" Visual Apex screen, Pioneer VSX-53, Polk RTi A5(x2) CSi 5 RTi A1 (x2) RTi 4(x2), Outlaw Audio LFM-1 EX, PS3, XBox 360 with HD-DVD add-on.
post #3 of 6 Old 05-30-2013, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter

Measurement are correct (just double checked).

BenQ site calculator puts a 100" diagonal screen throw from 8'4" in a 9 ft ceiling room

So to me the numbers are adding up, am I missing something?
post #4 of 6 Old 05-30-2013, 04:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Measurement are correct (just double checked).

BenQ site calculator puts a 100" diagonal screen throw from 8'4" in a 9 ft ceiling room

So to me the numbers are adding up, am I missing something?

No I misread something.

Where is your equipment going to be? Would it be possible to but speakers under the screen? I have a 100" screen and only 7'9" high walls and my center speaker is underneath.

Official Hip Hop Thread

Equipment

Epson 8350 on a 100" Visual Apex screen, Pioneer VSX-53, Polk RTi A5(x2) CSi 5 RTi A1 (x2) RTi 4(x2), Outlaw Audio LFM-1 EX, PS3, XBox 360 with HD-DVD add-on.
post #5 of 6 Old 05-30-2013, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter

Not sure where equipment is going yet lol. Will plan on adding a false wall behind projector eventually to hide equipment but that will be down the road. My main concern at this point actually is how high/low to hang the screen. I read some where that the projector lens needs to be as close to the screen top as possible. Is that correct? How "off" can it be?
post #6 of 6 Old 05-31-2013, 04:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Not sure where equipment is going yet lol. Will plan on adding a false wall behind projector eventually to hide equipment but that will be down the road. My main concern at this point actually is how high/low to hang the screen. I read some where that the projector lens needs to be as close to the screen top as possible. Is that correct? How "off" can it be?

It depends on the model and how much lens shift/offset it has. I don't know specifically about the 1070.

Official Hip Hop Thread

Equipment

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Tags
Ezframe Fixed Frame At 100 Projection Screen , Benq W1070 1080p 3d Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page